“Ok rooms- front desk staff is a mess”

The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel
Ranked #279 of 469 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I stayed here for 5 nights for a work trip. Granted we usually book more boutique style hotels so I was a little underwhelmed. The hotel is old, the rooms are somewhat up to date but the bathrooms and hallways were in need of some renovations.

My biggest problem was with the front desk staff- we had 4 people checking in and it took about 20 minutes. They seemed to have trouble finding our reservation, then were just all over the place trying to check in each one of us, one of the girls had an attitude.

Unfortunately my room was right where they were doing some construction on the building. I endured the loud hammering and noise for 2 mornings that promptly started at 8:30am, and then decided to change rooms. I called down to request a room change and got transferred to the manager literally- 8 times- Im not exaggerating. And no one answered. I kept calling back and asking if the manager was even there but they just kept transferring me and no one answered. Finally got him on the phone and got a room change that was away from the construction.

Pros- there is a 24 hour restaurant downstairs and a coffee/pastry set up that was good for us grabbing something quick in the morning. Good central location.
Cons- terrible management/front desk staff. The hotel had a old crusty feel to me...

I think it was and OK place to stay for the price but I wouldn't recommend. I know we wont be staying here again.

1  Thank 543jessicab543

Reviewed 18 May 2014

1  Thank Val A
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Real nice location, great staff. The built in diner was very convenient, but don't buy any bottled beer there. The guy charged me $50.00 for 8 bottles. I could get it at seven eleven for $15.00 I guess it depends on your mood at the time.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
A Wyndham traveler
New York

Reviewed 17 May 2014

The truth about the New Yorker needs to come out. This Hotel is setup to be a Hustle. Like many, "High End" Hotels (Often in Name or Supposed reputation only, and don't confuse this for one..), The Wyndam New Yorker, has many, "Levels" of Service depending on how much money you spend...mark my words on this one, it doesn't matter how much money you spend at the new yorker, or how far you book ahead, you could end up getting a room that barely fits queen bed for $400-$500/per night, or a room with a decent size for the same price, but it all comes down to how much they think they can squeeze out of you for the long run.

The minute you hit the front desk, you'll be fighting for your properly booked room, and the services you were promised. If the room said it included breakfast, you'll be fighting for that. Not only that, you'll be fighting between a continental vs a real breakfast (of which they offer both), but you'll quickly be informed, that only the most elite of tiers, can have a cooked breakfast and is deserving of it, and apparently cooked eggs and bacon, are the breakfast of Kings, Queens and celebrities now (Give me a break). Oh, but don't worry the fighting and fun doesn't end there, you'll have to argue between the elite and the "regular" internet service (The Regular service works just fine, but you won't know that at the time, and they'll try and add $9.99 per day to the bill, even if internet is free).

Now lets talk about the staff, most of the hate you, and don't forget it. But you won't be able to, because they'll make it quite clear that they do. You'll find the odd pleasant Gem, and they will shine like diamonds, because it will be SO refreshing to you, and reassure you that all of the other awesome things you're about to discover in new york, is well worth putting up with the hustle at the New Yorker. For instance, the pleasant greeter from the UK, who gives amazing guidance, so naturally and friendly, that you'll feel as if your talking with a friend. The conceiarge was amazing as well. I also know that these are the toughest jobs in the world, I just wish that more than 10% of the staff were friendly.

Food: Avoid the tick talk diner, even of you have kids, actually especially if you have kids. I know kids are dirty...but...this restaurant could kill a rat. The high chair will have years of caked on fifth, now here's the disturbing part, I'm a dad, I have 3 boys so I'm used to fifth and disease, but after seeing the highchair, I found myself compulsively reaching for disinfecting wipes, as the thought of century old fecal matter entering my youngest sons mouth rushed through my head. Well, thats just a little taste of the Lovely New Yorker for you.

Room Tip: Avoid the tick tock diner.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank microchipmatt
Reviewed 17 May 2014

I saw a lot of good reviews and that is why we stayed here April 27 to May 3rd 2014, but I cannot agree. Some staff were pleasant, but overall it was a messy stay, not smooth. This Hotel is under renovation. If you book here remember to ask about having a room away from this work. The Hotel did not offer this information when I first enquired about our requirement that we must have a quiet room. When I called and asked right before the stay this information was revealed. The Hotel website offers breakfast and internet and this was clearly stated on the hotel website as part of the suite rates advertised. Our stay started with having to prove that these items were included in our stay, which was a nuisance (no one wants to have to start a stay complaining). It was just for muffins, juice and coffee (so not really sure why their bottom line on these items was so strict when we were paying suite rates?) When we had a problem with keeping our room type the last night of our stay, we requested an upgrade so that we could remain in a suite (which is a nice size) instead of a basic room, we were offered a large suite for $500, during the booking process (which was lengthy, staff member "Samira" then changed the rate to $600, and insisted what a great rate we were getting for such a deal. We mentioned with the exchange and tax that the offered $500 was our absolute limit. She then proceeded to berate us and stated very loudly several times" I did this manual override for you, $600 is such a good deal you should see this room, you were paying $400 for a small room" we quietly mentioned our credit card would be maxed. This was a private discussion she quickly made loud and public. We could not get her to stop her outburst and finally walked away. We informed a manager Dell of the interaction hoping for some resolve. No resolve occurred, we were placed in a tiny room that was so small our luggage had to be stepped on to get in and out of the room. Regarding cleanliness; when we went to retrieve items under the couch and between the bedside table, the amount of food and assorted items was gross, items as large as a cracked phone case, food, etc. We had no coffee maker. Overall we also found the Tic Toc diner very dirty which probably stems from the 24 hour service model.

We understand being in New York, you can expect quite a bit of hustling for money, it is an expensive city, but we hoped our hotel would do it with more class. We are booked in Atlanta, Georgia and Victoria BC Wyndham properties for long stays at both in June and July and are no longer sure we want to stay with the Wyndham brand. We keep getting emails asking for our comments? Do they really care if this is how they handled our concerns during the stay?!

Room Tip: Ask about renovated rooms away from renovations. Make sure you understand the size of your room they...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family