“Could be better...”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Perth, Australia
“Could be better...”
Reviewed 21 June 2014

We recently stayed at the New Yorker hotel. I was expecting very small rooms as I had been warned this is the case for most of New York. The rooms are very small - we had to move furniture around so we could lay our suitcases down. The bed is also very small (possibly smaller than a double?). The room was quite modern and very clean with nice furnishings. The bathroom is tiny! We didn't have much room for our toiletries as there is no bench space. Shower isn't that good either - for a hot shower you need to run the hot water for a while. The blinds in the room weren't block out so the street lights lit up the room during the night.

The restuarant/bar attached named coopers wasn't a friendly place to eat. The staff looked like they didn't want to be there.

We had a beautiful view of the skyline with the Empire State Building which was great. The location of the hotel is also good - walking distance to Times Square, Empire State Building, Grand Central Station and lots of shops including macys. There is also a subway station outside the hotel which makes it easy to get around.

Overall we enjoyed our stay at the hotel but I think a few things could be improved. Would consider this hotel for a second visit due to the location and great views

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,201)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Weymouth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 June 2014 via mobile

We arrived at the New Yorker hotel, for the computer not to have registered mine and my boyfriends booking, the lady behind the counter was very good, and although a pending amount for another room had to be used from our bank account, by the morning our travel company had been contacted, money not taken and a phone call first thing to our room to say we didn't even need to be moved and sorry for the mix up! Phew!
Nice breakfast in the tick tock diner very convenient and quick! Only a short walk from Macy's, Empire State, Etc and a train station just across the road!
We stayed for New Year's Eve, and room keys/ID had to be shown to re enter the hotel after the celebrations to keep high on security.
Nice room too, small but comfy and nice rooms!
Would definitely stay again, especially with the great memories as we also got engaged in Central Park during our stay! :))

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
California Bay Area
Reviewed 20 June 2014

This was my third hotel during a hectic six day trip and I felt a huge sigh of relief when I walked in. Everyone was friendly, offering information about subways, the 9/11 museum, places to eat. The room itself was fairly small but tucked away into a quiet little corner of the 31st floor (Room 3132) with city views. The room was tastefully decorated and the bed was extremely comfortable, One real plus for me was that it was easy to control the heating and AC. I like to sleep in a cool room and did!

The hotel is immediately adjacent to Penn Station and the subway is right outside the door. Even better, the Tick Tock restaurant, open 24 hours a day, is part of the hotel and the food was basic diner fare, reasonably priced with good service.

I do think 4-star hotels should offer free Wi-fi in rooms as well as free guest access to in-house computers. The charge is only 25 cents per minute, but why any charge at all? The only other thing I felt was missing was a coffee maker in my room.

Room Tip: I was very happy with my little room (3132).
Green Features: The Wyndham, like many hotels, has instituted a policy of only changing bedding every three days. I applaud efforts to conserve energy and water. Kudos!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Footloosewomen
cate26
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Check in receptionist was miserable. Barely spoke to us. Continually yawned during the process. Didn't programme one of the room key cards properly. Not impressed by Anneka at all. A friend of mine recommended this hotel to me and told me to ask for Mohammed on my arrival to try and get an upgrade but I didn't bother. Wish I had. Apparently he's lovely.

We stayed for four nights. On the third day, both our room keys stopped working. Again I was not impressed with this. Another receptionist was on the desk when I went to sort this out. She was called Romona and was just as skilled in customer service as Anneka. No smile, didn't speak, had no apology for us having to come the whole way down from the 21st floor to try and get a problem (which was not our fault) fixed.

I left a comment card in the express checkout box in the lobby beside the lifts which outlined my thoughts on the reception staff. That was a good three and a half weeks ago and I have yet to hear from management so obviously the card never reached them so they can read my review right here instead.

The most pleasant staff in this hotel are the house-keeping staff.

The room was clean and the layout of the lobby is nice and large.

Location-wise the hotel is ok. There is a subway station outside the hotel although it only serves the blue line. Mostly we had t use the orange or red line to see the sights.
There is a diner attached to the hotel which we had breakfast in 3 of the 4 mornings we were there. It was quite tasty for pancakes, waffles and crepes which is all we had. There's a McDonald's right across the street for anyone in a hurry.

There is a place around the corner on 9th avenue called Uncle Jack's Steakhouse which we found on the last day. This place was fantastic.

Room Tip: Definitely have the balls to ask for Mohammed.
Green Features: They do the "do we really have to wash your towel" thing which was the first hotel out of five in North America that did this.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cate_connolly26
Newyorkerhotel, Manager at The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Wyndham New Yorker Hotel while you were in New York City.

Please allow to extend my apologies you did not have a enjoyable stay. I would like to discuss your stay in greater detail but Ido not have your contact information . At your convenience, please contact me directly at 646-572-1213 or you may email at brauch@nyhotel.com.

I look forward to your response.

Barry Rauch
Director of Operations
Wyndham New Yorker Hotel
Centerville, Massachusetts
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I booked my 3 night stay at the Wyndham through Amtrak - who then processed it through Orbitz. When I arrived at 7:30 pm with my 82 year old fther on Father's Day, which was also his birthday, there was no booking in our name. The Guest Services Manager, Michael Simms, spent 40 minutes on the phone with both Amtrak and Orbitz, on our behalf to determine what had happened and if indeed there was a reservation for which we would be charged. After determining that they never put through our reservation. I was very concerned that even if we were able to get a room at this late hour that we would pay premium prices. Instead, Mr. Simms completely took care of us. He put us in an executive suite, charged us the same as the original room I thought had been booked - AND sent up a bottle of champagne to celebrate dad's big day. What could have really bee a nightmare situation was made stress-free and effortless.

In addition, on a number of occasions we needed staff to help - a recommendation for a restaurant, helping with the pull out couch, the remote needed a new battery - and each time the service was prompt, friendly and readinlyl available.

I travel to the city for business nearly every month and will now make the Wyndham New Yorker my destination for travel.

Room Tip: ask for one of the renovated rooms
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Britt B
Youngstown, New York
Reviewed 19 June 2014

My sisters and I (5 of us) booked a suite at this hotel. I had read the reviews and felt that it might not be perfect but it would be a nice stay. First, our balcony was under construction and was full of workers and noise all day, starting bright and early at about 7:30 am. All the balconies were under construction so there was no moving. And one of the selling points of this hotel is the view, hard to enjoy through scaffolding. Next, while they're in the process of remodeling the rooms they clearly hadn't gotten to this bathroom. The bottom of the tub, where you have to stand to take a shower, was gouged out. Not a look that makes you want to take a shower. Also, the water temperature was inconsistent and some of us came close to getting burned. On the first day, they sent someone to fix the water problem but we realized the next morning when showering that it hadn't really been fixed. We had a lengthy conversation with a manager and were able to get one night refunded but it didn't change the fact that they should not have been renting that room. I told the manager that he really should go look at the tub and see how that appears to a guest. The people there were nice, housekeeping was good but I wouldn't recommend the hotel at this point.
They charge to hold your bags when you check out - not something I've ever paid for.
They recommended their shuttle for going to the airport. We needed 2 because of different departure times. We were on our shuttle for 45 minutes on a very warm day, without the air conditioning working, circling the blocks near our hotel while the driver waited to pick up others that weren't ready when they were supposed to be. Finally, after 45 minutes we actually headed for the airport. The other shuttle got to the airport in a timely fashion but dropped off my sisters at the arrivals instead of the departures and it took them a long time to get to the right area.
All in all, the hotel didn't do well.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Peg4157
Newyorkerhotel, Manager at The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel, responded to this review, 20 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest;

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Wyndham New Yorker while you were in New York City.

Please accept my apologies your stay was not comfortable or enjoyable. I wish to further discuss your stay with you but I do not have your contact information. Please contact me directly at 646-572-1213 to further discuss your stay.

I look forward to your response.

Barry Rauch