“Perfect location with historic charm”

The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel
Ranked #273 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Guelph
“Perfect location with historic charm”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We picked this place purely based on location as it was in the middle of everything we were in New York to see and do, and right on top of Penn Station which was ideal based on how much subway use we had planned.
We arrived prior to check-in and were met with very friendly staff who not only checked us into a visibly full hotel early, but gave us a room upgrade as we were staying for 4 nights. Ended up with a corner unit on the 21st floor with a fantastic view of the river and 4 beautiful sunsets! Yes the rooms are small, but we were literally in our rooms to sleep and shower, I don't see people's issue with "room size" when you are on vacation? While the lobby is big and beautiful and gives off a classic, old charm feel, the halls and rooms of the floor we saw were definitely dated and in need of some upgrades, as one would expect with a hotel this old. Our room was clean, sheets fresh and clean and didn't hear a peep from any neighbours. The bathroom while small, was functional, though it was almost comedic trying to get the shower temperature correctly balanced between scalding and icy cold, minor issue.
Due to location and sheer size, in the evenings security asks to see room keys before letting you into the elevators which is good and keeps the noise down on the floors, but created a bottleneck at times since this wasn't published anywhere and people were constantly held up while riffling through pockets, purses and bags to find their keys to show.
Check-Out was simple and easy, bill as expected. There is a $2 per bag charge to leave your luggage while out and about on your final day which is reasonable and helpful. Everything goes into a locked room out of site, so felt safe enough leaving our things behind and easy to claim them when we returned.
Great location with Penn Station and Madison Square Gardens across the street, a Starbucks and McDonalds across the street, Duane Reade on the opposite corner and on the doorstop of Hell's Kitchen and a pile of great restaurant options.
We enjoyed our stay, will be nice to see what this hotel looks like when the renovations and conversion to a Wyndham property is complete.

Room Tip: Corner Room for view, or end of the hall to reduce noise
Green Features: Keep your towels for a few days and save on laundry, no one needs a new towel every single day.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alex D
Newyorkerhotel, Manager at The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Wyndham New Yorker Hotel.

We appreciate your valuable business and thank you for the positive review. We are certainly in a great location with Penn station right across the street, Macy's and Empire state Building within a 5 minute walking distances and Times Square within a 7 to 10 minute walking distance.

I am delighted to read your review the staff and service was as expected. Please be assured your review will be shared with all the staff.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Wyndham New Yorker Hotel when your travels find you returning to New York City.

Wyndham New Yorker Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,281)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Moelv
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Perfect location next to Madison Square garden, Times Square and close to Empire SB! The metrostation is also across the street. Very helpful staff. The room standard is ok, not new but clean an a great bed. The barhroom was small. Overall, I would very much recomend this hotel.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KarenE75
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Wyndham New Yorker Hotel while you were in New York City.

We appreciate your valuable business and for the positive review. I am delighted to read you had a comfortable and enjoyable stay and decided to share your experience on Trip Advisor. Your review will be shared with the staff.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

My daughter and I stayed here for our first visit to New York. I booked it through booking.com and pick it because of Tripadvisor reviews.

The first room we were given had one bed, but didn't look like a queen to us, so we returned to the check-in desk and asked for a room with 2 beds. After a very lengthy wait, we were given another room one floor lower. As expected, the room was small, byt the beds were comfortable and clean. The windows are old and the street noises could be heard easily. I had to wear ear pugs all night.

Also, as mentioned in previous reviews, there was not a coffee maker in the room, but was told at the desk that they would have one sent up. A variety of tea and coffee was supplied. We only got one pod of regular coffee, so I wrote a note and asked for just regular coffee and no decaf or tea. When we returned from a day out, we had a bag full or tea and decaf and no regular coffee, just the opposite of what I requested. In the morning I went out in the hall and explained the situation to the housekeeper and she apologized and had regular coffee delivered to the room right away

As mentioned in previous reviews, the bathroom was small with paint peeling from the tiles and the water temperature varied a lot while showering. My daughter was screaming in pain when the water suddendly chaged to very hot. I chose to have baths after that.

The staff were professional. Very good lobby security especially at night. We had to show our room card to access the elevators, so we felt assured there weren't any non-registered guests wandering the halls.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Jan C
Dear Valued Guest,

We appreciate your valuable business and for your review. Please accept my apologies for the first room you were provided as well as some service missteps you experienced. I am delighted to read the front desk upgraded your room without an additional charge and housekeeping was able to provide the correct coffee per your second request.

I would like to discuss your stay with you further, at your convenience, please email me directly at brauch@nyhotel.com (please reference your review).

I look forward to your reply.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 June 2014

My stay at the New Yorker was decent for being in such a good location. However, after we had already checked out, the front desk manager acted strange when I asked for the lobby restroom key. It was as if you should check out and immediately need to GET OUT. Very strange. Oh well, I (sort of) begged and got the key, haha! :)

Room Tip: The cafe downstairs is awesome. I think it is called the "Tick-tock Cafe"?
Green Features: They offer this, but I usually like to have fresh towels daily. They did not have a problem with this at all.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Veronica H
Dear Valued Guest,

Please accept my apologies if you believe the front desk manager (our security team holds the keys) acted strange when you asked for a key to the bathroom. Due to the hotel's vicinity to Penn Station, Macy's and the Empire State Building, our guest bathrooms are locked to ensure only guests can use the restrooms (in case their room is not ready upon arrival or after they checkout).

I would like to further discuss your experience, at your convenience please email me at brauch@nyhotel.com.

I look forward to your response.

Hamilton, New Jersey
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

The price for the hotel was 217.00 including tax but as we went through Last Minute Travel the Wyndham resort did not accept our points number nor did they honor the request that last minute travel stated we would have which was a Cityview and a refrigerator in the room. A refrigerator was brought up and the charge was waived so I would have to give this about 3 1/2 stars as the room was extremely small but comfortable and as a person who has had multiple back procedures bed comfort is very important. This bed must have been semi-new as it was very comfortable .

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sebastiano S
Dear Valued Guest,

Please accept my apologies if you were not allocated the room you had paid for. We receive many requests for city view rooms and try to honor as many as we can based on available inventory. We ensure guests who reserve a city view room receives one.

We appreciate your valuable feedback regarding the comfortable of the bed and the service the staff provided.

I would like to discuss your stay with you further, at your convenience, please email me at brauch@nyhotel.com (please reference your view).

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I have read the other reviews and my experience was outstanding. I obtained the room through booking.com and as there were three of us, we were given the Tower Suite located on the 38th floor. I have nothing to complain about.
The main bedroom, although small, was clean with a wardrobe and television. The bathroom was small but clean and recently renovated.
The other room had a kitchenette, wardrobe, television, desk and pull-out sofa bed. Once the bed was made, there was no space but it didn't worry us as we were only there to sleep.
The balcony was large and had outstanding views of the Empire State Building and the Freedom Tower. The Statue of Liberty, although tiny, was visible in the distance.
The hotel is situated in a great location. It's only a five minute walk to the bus terminal and Penn Station. Times Square is about ten minutes walk and the Empire State Building is also close by.
The staff were friendly and helpful and allowed us entry into our room before 3pm.
We stayed two nights and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank BarbsZ
Dear Valued Guest,

We appreciate your valuable business and for the positive review. I am delighted to read the staff was accommodating and provided stellar service. Please be assured your comments will be shared with all the staff.

We look forward to return visit to the Wyndham New Yorker Hotel when your travels find you back in New York City.

Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 28 June 2014

We had a wonderful experience with The New Yorker. The location was great... the only down-side was that our view toward the Empire State Building was obstructed by scaffolding from where they were doing work on the building.

We had a suite, with a bedroom with 2 beds, a sitting area with a sofa and desk, and a bathroom. There were 4 of us in the room, and although it wasn't large by any means, we had enough room to walk around and keep our luggage out of the way. The bathroom was obviously old, but was clean! The housekeeping staff was great when we called to get more coffee, and later a corkscrew... and when the one of the TVs wouldn't come on in the room.

This was my first time staying in NYC, and I felt completely safe. It was reassuring to see the "suits" upon entering (I assume they were security). The attached Tick Tock Diner was a cute place to get a bite to eat, and was very reasonably priced. It was a short walk down to the drug store if you need to grab a few things, and K-mart and Macy's are a few blocks away, too.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank jabberjoyce
Dear Valued Guest,

We appreciate your valuable business and the positive review. We apologize the scaffolding in on one side of the hotel obstructed your view. I am delighted to read you had a enjoyable time and the staff provided a level of service that is expected.

We look forward to your return to the Wyndham New Yorker Hotel when you travels find you back in New York City.