We picked this place purely based on location as it was in the middle of everything we were in New York to see and do, and right on top of Penn Station which was ideal based on how much subway use we had planned.
We arrived prior to check-in and were met with very friendly staff who not only checked us into a visibly full hotel early, but gave us a room upgrade as we were staying for 4 nights. Ended up with a corner unit on the 21st floor with a fantastic view of the river and 4 beautiful sunsets! Yes the rooms are small, but we were literally in our rooms to sleep and shower, I don't see people's issue with "room size" when you are on vacation? While the lobby is big and beautiful and gives off a classic, old charm feel, the halls and rooms of the floor we saw were definitely dated and in need of some upgrades, as one would expect with a hotel this old. Our room was clean, sheets fresh and clean and didn't hear a peep from any neighbours. The bathroom while small, was functional, though it was almost comedic trying to get the shower temperature correctly balanced between scalding and icy cold, minor issue.
Due to location and sheer size, in the evenings security asks to see room keys before letting you into the elevators which is good and keeps the noise down on the floors, but created a bottleneck at times since this wasn't published anywhere and people were constantly held up while riffling through pockets, purses and bags to find their keys to show.
Check-Out was simple and easy, bill as expected. There is a $2 per bag charge to leave your luggage while out and about on your final day which is reasonable and helpful. Everything goes into a locked room out of site, so felt safe enough leaving our things behind and easy to claim them when we returned.
Great location with Penn Station and Madison Square Gardens across the street, a Starbucks and McDonalds across the street, Duane Reade on the opposite corner and on the doorstop of Hell's Kitchen and a pile of great restaurant options.
We enjoyed our stay, will be nice to see what this hotel looks like when the renovations and conversion to a Wyndham property is complete.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The New Yorker Hotel is one of the most popular hotels in New York City. Come revel in the newly re-imagined grandeur of our historic hotel. Our newly renovated and upgraded guest rooms and suites deliver contemporary comforts that leave nothing to be desired for today’s business travelers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Nozio Netplan srl, Odigeo, TravelUp, Agoda, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly, Ebookers and getaroom.com so you can book your The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- New Yorker Ramada Plaza
- Ramada New York City
- Ramada Plaza New Yorker Hotel
- New York City Ramada
- New Yorker Hotel New York
- Ramada Hotel New York