“Don't be confused about the 4*s”

The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel
Ranked #274 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Rhinebeck, NY
“Don't be confused about the 4*s”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This hotel has a GREAT location, especially if you arrive in NYC via Amtrak. But it is not a particularly good place to stay. It's noisy, a bit dirty and in desperate need of an upgrade. It appears that Wyndham has recently taken over--but as of today (7/14/2012) it's a bit of a dump. My bathoom was so dirty you could run your finger along the dust accumulating on the edges of the tile. The internet barely worked. The elevators took so long, people thought they were broken. It's a bit of a hang-out for young people hitting the city for a good time--which is fine, but families beware. Here's the tip off: They put guards at the entry to the elevator lobby to "card" people coming in. I stayed there because Priceline was listing it as a 4* hotel at a deep discount (unnamed until you book it). Priceline: big mistake. (My mistake, too) This place is a 2 1/2* hotel.

Room Tip: Go to the Affinia Hotel on 7th and 31st. About the same price and better rooms.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank mx
Newyorkerhotel, Manager at The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Wyndham New Yorker Hotel when you were in New York City.

I have read your review and would like to investigate your stay but do not have your contact information. Please email me at brauch@nyhotel.com and reference your review.

I look forward to your email.

Wyndham New Yorker Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,236)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Worthing
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This hotel was awful and I will never be returning.

Upon arriving, which was 12.30am so we were very tired, we were greeted by a very misberale man on the reception desk. This was just the beginning.

Our room was the size of a postage stamp, once we were both inside with our cases there was no room at all. There is minimal storage and no where to put anything out in the bathroom so we had to keep pretty much everything in wash bags. I was desparate for a shower and a cup of tea before going to bed as we had been travelling for ages. There were no tea or coffee making facilities in the room so we popped to a shop down the road. When I got back to the room I turned on the shower and was greeted but a spluttering of water that the spat out loads of black dirt into the bottom of the bath and the water ran brown. This was everntually overcome by running the water for some time, but then after that I didn't have one decent shower without either being scortched or frozen as we couldn't regulate the water temperature properly.
The view from the room was directly on to another building to the side and down on to this dirty bins area below. The room wasn't particularly clean and the whole place is in desperate need of re-modernisation. At the end of our bed was a small set of drawers but the space between them and the bed was so small that you had to shuffle through side ways. The bed was also small and if I didn't sleep with my head right up to the headboard then when stretched out my feet hung off the end, we found this out one night when my partner was shuffling past the end of the bed to pop to the bathroom and was blocked by my feet. I am 5'8 so this should not be the case!! The sheet on the bed didn't fit properly so didn't cover the whole matress, and the valence was really dirty. The room was really noisy with lots of traffic noise and you could hear the room next door flushing their toilet.
All in all a very disappointing stay and not worth the money we paid.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Claire80-worthing
Dear Valued Guest,

I look forward to your email.

Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights in June.
Unfortunately the outside of this hotel at the time we stayed was covered in scaffold, not a problem but it didn't do it any favours on first impressions.
However, when you enter the reception you really get a feel for the style of this hotel.
Our room was small, a little tired but the 1930's style helped you to see past it.
The staff were great, friendly and security seemed good.
The adjoining tick tock diner was a cool place to grab a burger or a fab New York breakfast but the bar on the other side of the lobby needs attention. No atmosphere and the drinks weren't great.
Location is really good I recommend a short walk from here to the high line then breakfast in the meat packing district as a cool start to the day. It's also very handy for ESB, Times Square and maceys. Overall, it's a fairly cool hotel!

Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Amanda B
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Wyndham New Yorker Hotel while you were in New York City.

I have read your review and would like to thank you for the positive comments you posted regarding your stay. I am delighted the staff provided the level of service that is expected. Please be assured your comments will be shown to the employees.

I hope we have the pleasure to be welcome you back to the Wyndham New Yorker Hotel when your travels find you returning to New York City.

Thank you again for the positive review.

Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I stayed at the New Yorker with my granddaughter for 5 days & found it an excellent location for getting to Broadway & whereever else we wanted to go. We came be Amtrk so it was nearby. There were Metro stations on several corners so we could go as we pleased. We were high enough up so the noise of the city was not a problem. Our room was comfprtable & the staff was helpful in suggesting sightseeing trips. We didn't book theatre tickets with them as it was cheaper to do it directly with the box office or the discount place. However Louis at the sightseeing desk booked our harbor tour & helped us with our taxi. Tick Tock Diner was good for breakfast but wouldn't suggest it otherwise.

Green Features: great towel reuse, sheet only changed as requested
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Lilvt
Newyorkerhotel, Manager at The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

I have read your view and would like to thank you for sharing your positive experience. I am delighted to read the staff provided the service level as expected especially Louis. Please be assured your comments will be shared with all the employees.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Wyndham New Yorker Hotel when your travels find you returning to New York City.

Bolton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel was a recommendation from a family friend and we were not disappointed. It was in the perfect location for everything we wanted to do on our trip to New York. We had a suite between two couples which worked out a lot cheaper than having two bedrooms. Although it was small and one couple had to sleep on the sofa bed (which was very comfy), having a very large balcony made up for it, which gave us views over all of manhattan, it was amazing. As a bonus we got included cold drinks in the fridge and continental breakfast, will definately be back.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gillian C
Dear Valued Guest,

I have read your view and would like to thank you for sharing your positive experience. I am delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and our centralized location. Please be assured your comments will be shared with all the employees.

Ogden, Utah
Reviewed 13 July 2014

The location of this hotel is amazing. Madison Square Garden and Penn Station are both only a short walk from the hotel. In addition, there are many places to dine also a short walk form the hotel. During our trip, we found it very convenient to travel from the hotel to nearly any designation in Manhattan. The main lobby was very nice and inviting. All the staff were helpful and willing to assist as needed. Our room was clean and tidy. One note, the rooms are small and cozy. In addition, the bathrooms are very small and not as cozy. We actually had to maneuver carefully to get in and out of the bathroom. Overall, we enjoyed our stay at the New Yorker.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Lawrence T
Dear Valued Guest,

I have read your view and would like to thank you for sharing your positive experience. I am delighted to read the staff provided the service level as expected and you enjoyed our centralized location. Please be assured your comments will be shared with all the employees.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 12 July 2014

My wife and I stayed for several days in June and enjoyed the New Yorker. The staff were courteous and helpful, the hotel and rooms were neat and clean. It was our first visit to NYC and the New Yorkers convenient location made it very simple to walk to the main tourist destinations in Manhattan.

The only thing to be improved on is the design of the shower doors. We stayed in a renovated room and the shower door allowed water to run out into the floor of the bathroom. Other than having to put a towel down to catch the water our stay was quite enjoyable.

We spent the majority of our time out enjoying everything Manhattan and NYC has to offer so our time in the room was limited to sleeping and getting ready to go back out!
The Tick Tock Diner has a spectacular breakfast and since it is in the lobby there was no sense in going anywhere else in the mornings!

We would definitely consider staying in the New Yorker again and would recommend it to any friends looking for a good hotel.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Martin T
Newyorkerhotel, Manager at The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel, responded to this review, 12 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

We appreciate your valuable business and thank you for your positive comments. I apologize for the inconvenience you experienced regarding the shower. I am delighted to read your interaction with the staff was as expected.

Thank you again for the positive comments.