“The worst hotel ever”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Melbourne, Australia
“The worst hotel ever”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This hotel is absolutely appalling.

We called and booked our 2 rooms 1 month in advance and we specifically requested an adjoining room. When we checked in we were told that there are no adjoining rooms in this hotel, we were never told this when we booked over the phone. Also, when we then asked the receptionist to at least put the rooms side by side, she glared at us and refused to do it and then placed us on opposite ends of the floor. The receptionist were also unapologetic about the 30 minute long wait to check in and the inconvenience caused by the placement of the rooms.

The rooms look nothing like the photos on the website. There is barely any space in the room, there is no place to put your luggage and it is impossible to get comfortable. The bathrooms are mouldy, small and dysfunctional. The tiles look as though they are from 1930 and instead of changing them, the owners of the hotel decided to just paint over them. You will struggle to even do basic things in the bathroom like changing clothes or brushing your teeth. It is extremely congested and there is a high tendency knock your things over into the toilet. Also, there was also a foul stench in both the corridors and the rooms.

The men in the suits in the information counter are extremely rude and can best be described as theifs. When asking them about prices for tours and other matters, they will always quote a price which is nearly double that of what the tour operator actually charges. Also, on top of that, they are dishonest. If you want to see the Statute of liberty, there are two options, the Stanton Island ferry which is free and there is another ferry which you must pay for. When we asked the information desk about this, they lied and told us that the Stanton Island ferry doesn't even go near the Statue, when it actually does pass from extremely near by to it and in such a way that you can actually take great photos of it. The man's actual words were as follows "That website is rubbish, pay me $15 each and I will get the tickets to the ferry which will take you to the statue, the Staten island ferry doesn't go near, if you want to go, this is your only option". This is unacceptable, it is one thing to be rude and another thing to lie and rip off tourists.

The Tik Tok diner, had terrible food. It had a horrible taste as though it was made in stale oil. Also the staff in the restaurant were extremely arrogant. I failed to give them the 18% tip they demanded and as a result on the next day I was seated, but they refused to serve me. I asked them to please give me a menu and they simply ignored me and kept walking. A tip is optional, however the servers in this diner hold you to ransom over it.

In summary, the rooms are small, cramped and dirty, the hotel in general smells horrible and the staff is rude, arrogant and dishonest. In comparison a motel would have been much better.

This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Barry B
Newyorkerhotel, Manager at The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel, responded to this review, 19 July 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Wyndham New Yorker Hotel when you were in New York City.

I have read your review and would like to investigate your stay but do not have your contact information. Please email me at brauch@nyhotel.com and reference your review.

Wyndham New Yorker Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,171)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Rhinebeck, NY
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This hotel has a GREAT location, especially if you arrive in NYC via Amtrak. But it is not a particularly good place to stay. It's noisy, a bit dirty and in desperate need of an upgrade. It appears that Wyndham has recently taken over--but as of today (7/14/2012) it's a bit of a dump. My bathoom was so dirty you could run your finger along the dust accumulating on the edges of the tile. The internet barely worked. The elevators took so long, people thought they were broken. It's a bit of a hang-out for young people hitting the city for a good time--which is fine, but families beware. Here's the tip off: They put guards at the entry to the elevator lobby to "card" people coming in. I stayed there because Priceline was listing it as a 4* hotel at a deep discount (unnamed until you book it). Priceline: big mistake. (My mistake, too) This place is a 2 1/2* hotel.

Room Tip: Go to the Affinia Hotel on 7th and 31st. About the same price and better rooms.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank mx

Worthing
Reviewed 14 July 2014

This hotel was awful and I will never be returning.

Upon arriving, which was 12.30am so we were very tired, we were greeted by a very misberale man on the reception desk. This was just the beginning.

Our room was the size of a postage stamp, once we were both inside with our cases there was no room at all. There is minimal storage and no where to put anything out in the bathroom so we had to keep pretty much everything in wash bags. I was desparate for a shower and a cup of tea before going to bed as we had been travelling for ages. There were no tea or coffee making facilities in the room so we popped to a shop down the road. When I got back to the room I turned on the shower and was greeted but a spluttering of water that the spat out loads of black dirt into the bottom of the bath and the water ran brown. This was everntually overcome by running the water for some time, but then after that I didn't have one decent shower without either being scortched or frozen as we couldn't regulate the water temperature properly.
The view from the room was directly on to another building to the side and down on to this dirty bins area below. The room wasn't particularly clean and the whole place is in desperate need of re-modernisation. At the end of our bed was a small set of drawers but the space between them and the bed was so small that you had to shuffle through side ways. The bed was also small and if I didn't sleep with my head right up to the headboard then when stretched out my feet hung off the end, we found this out one night when my partner was shuffling past the end of the bed to pop to the bathroom and was blocked by my feet. I am 5'8 so this should not be the case!! The sheet on the bed didn't fit properly so didn't cover the whole matress, and the valence was really dirty. The room was really noisy with lots of traffic noise and you could hear the room next door flushing their toilet.
All in all a very disappointing stay and not worth the money we paid.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Claire80-worthing

Solihull, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights in June.
Unfortunately the outside of this hotel at the time we stayed was covered in scaffold, not a problem but it didn't do it any favours on first impressions.
However, when you enter the reception you really get a feel for the style of this hotel.
Our room was small, a little tired but the 1930's style helped you to see past it.
The staff were great, friendly and security seemed good.
The adjoining tick tock diner was a cool place to grab a burger or a fab New York breakfast but the bar on the other side of the lobby needs attention. No atmosphere and the drinks weren't great.
Location is really good I recommend a short walk from here to the high line then breakfast in the meat packing district as a cool start to the day. It's also very handy for ESB, Times Square and maceys. Overall, it's a fairly cool hotel!

Stayed June 2014
3 Thank Amanda B
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Wyndham New Yorker Hotel while you were in New York City.

I have read your review and would like to thank you for the positive comments you posted regarding your stay. I am delighted the staff provided the level of service that is expected. Please be assured your comments will be shown to the employees.

I hope we have the pleasure to be welcome you back to the Wyndham New Yorker Hotel when your travels find you returning to New York City.

Thank you again for the positive review.

Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I stayed at the New Yorker with my granddaughter for 5 days & found it an excellent location for getting to Broadway & whereever else we wanted to go. We came be Amtrk so it was nearby. There were Metro stations on several corners so we could go as we pleased. We were high enough up so the noise of the city was not a problem. Our room was comfprtable & the staff was helpful in suggesting sightseeing trips. We didn't book theatre tickets with them as it was cheaper to do it directly with the box office or the discount place. However Louis at the sightseeing desk booked our harbor tour & helped us with our taxi. Tick Tock Diner was good for breakfast but wouldn't suggest it otherwise.

Green Features: great towel reuse, sheet only changed as requested
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Lilvt
Newyorkerhotel, Manager at The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

I have read your view and would like to thank you for sharing your positive experience. I am delighted to read the staff provided the service level as expected especially Louis. Please be assured your comments will be shared with all the employees.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the Wyndham New Yorker Hotel when your travels find you returning to New York City.

Bolton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

This hotel was a recommendation from a family friend and we were not disappointed. It was in the perfect location for everything we wanted to do on our trip to New York. We had a suite between two couples which worked out a lot cheaper than having two bedrooms. Although it was small and one couple had to sleep on the sofa bed (which was very comfy), having a very large balcony made up for it, which gave us views over all of manhattan, it was amazing. As a bonus we got included cold drinks in the fridge and continental breakfast, will definately be back.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gillian C
Dear Valued Guest,

I have read your view and would like to thank you for sharing your positive experience. I am delighted to read you enjoyed your stay and our centralized location. Please be assured your comments will be shared with all the employees.

Ogden, Utah
Reviewed 13 July 2014

The location of this hotel is amazing. Madison Square Garden and Penn Station are both only a short walk from the hotel. In addition, there are many places to dine also a short walk form the hotel. During our trip, we found it very convenient to travel from the hotel to nearly any designation in Manhattan. The main lobby was very nice and inviting. All the staff were helpful and willing to assist as needed. Our room was clean and tidy. One note, the rooms are small and cozy. In addition, the bathrooms are very small and not as cozy. We actually had to maneuver carefully to get in and out of the bathroom. Overall, we enjoyed our stay at the New Yorker.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Lawrence T
Dear Valued Guest,

I have read your view and would like to thank you for sharing your positive experience. I am delighted to read the staff provided the service level as expected and you enjoyed our centralized location. Please be assured your comments will be shared with all the employees.