13,202 results
All reviews the tick tock diner penn station the empire state building madison square garden diner attached new york great location times square art deco room key hudson river rooms are small two double beds an upgrade central location statue of liberty coffee machine
Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

We went to the U2 concert at MSG, just a 1 minute walk away. And that is the main strength of this hotel: the location. Nearly everything is in walking distance! We walked to shows on Broadway, to restaurants and to many stores for some shopping.
The room on the 8th floor was very small (nearly European style) and the bathroom was really too small (cruise ship size). Also because it is an old hotel, the windows are not sealed, so all the noice from the streets comes in at night (some awful drilling going on the last 2 nights). We stayed 4 nights and the room and bathroom were clean and neat. Nevertheless, besides the excellent location, we would not recommend this hotel.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

I stayed with my adult daughter for 9 nights and it was a very safe choice. It was a great location and easy walk everywhere. A lovely diner and restaurant attached. Well run hotel. Adequate room size. Dated bathroom that worked really well is all part of the history and privilege of staying there. Loved the big revolving door!

*Close to Madison, Macy's, Intrepid, Times Square, and many other places
*You need to show your lift card to enter that area
*Very helpful staff
*Clean, with all toiletries
*Quick taxi base
*Laundry mat close

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Joy W
Reviewed 27 June 2018 via mobile

The hotel itself is gorgeous, the 1920’s decor is beautiful, the staff are all friendly and helpful, and some of the floors appear to be updated.... but not ours.
The 20th floor looks tired, the carpets worn, the paintwork chipped and grubby.
Our room was clean, had a comfortable bed, tv, alarm clock that you can plug your phones into. Which was just as well as I was too scared to use the sockets in the wall- all loose and felt a bit dangerous to use. The plumbing is definitely 1920’s, the shower was poor and the bathroom dated.
There was no coffee/tea making facilities, it was only on checkout I learned I could have had them for an extra charge. However, plenty of places nearby to get a coffee, including the excellent though expensive tick tick diner.
My sons were given a similar room with one queen bed- despite us having requested a twin bedded room. The hotel was full so nothing to be done, but the following day the lovely Azrosa upgraded them to a room with a sofa bed, which was larger and had great views of the city. Boys VERY happy!!
All in all a lovely hotel, hopefully the 20th floor will be upgraded soon to match the rest of it.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 June 2018

Stayed for a meeting and was offered a "room with a view" on the phone. When I arrived the view turned out to be straight down 34th Street to the Empire State Building, so I could hardly complain.

The room itself was a bit small (not Japanese hotel small) but fully appointed with closet, desk, dresser/TV, and multiple plugs for all my devices. The bathroom was fairly spacious and clean, although the shower was a little confusing (separate taps for tub/shower and hot/cold, so four in all), and one of the bolts on the toilet seemed to be a little bit loose. Just minor things. Sometimes the room was a little musty-smelling when I came back in the evening but this was easily cleared up by turning on the A/C.

The building itself is a nice 40-story art deco hotel with quite a bit of history (e.g., Nikola Tesla died here, six floors above me—do they still rent out that room?). The location is fantastic; just steps from Penn Station and Madison Square Garden, and only a little further to Times Square, Broadway, and of course the Empire State Building. I launched a couple of good early morning runs from here. There are a couple of good restaurants in the hotel, including the 24-hour Tick Tock Diner, where we had breakfast almost every day. By the end of the stay the waiter knew us on sight.

Which brings me to the one major downside: it's Manhattan, of course, so someone was doing construction on some building across the road. They'd start the jackhammers at about 9pm and wouldn't stop until 5 in the morning. I'm the type of person who can sleep through anything so it didn't really bother me but many of my coworkers had real trouble with it. They made multiple calls down to the desk but as it wasn't the hotel doing it they couldn't really help. Not their fault of course, and it is New York City, so this kind of thing should be anticipated. Just take advantage of the CVS across the street and buy yourself some earplugs.

Room Tip: "Room with a view" will get you something cool to look at, regardless
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 June 2018 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel now for three different stays and it is perfect each time. They have three very different on site restaurants, have a person to check that you are really a guest before you get to use the elevators (very reassuring for solo travelers), extremely helpful and pleasant staff, and some wonderful views of the city. Although it can be a bit noisy considering the neighborhood, just request an upper floor and you’ll be fine-remember, I’m from rural Vermont so my definition of noisy/quiet may be a lot diferent than yours. This hotel is within one block of Madison Square Garden so after your event getting back to your hotel is hassle free! Definitely a perk! It also has a fascinating history which is curated in a small museum in the lower lobby.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo