“Boutique hotel in great location”

Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel
Ranked #40 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Newprt Beach
“Boutique hotel in great location”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2013

We chose the hotel at the last minute, and didn't realize it was quite so far downtown. I was worried at first that it would be inconvenient, but it is actually very accessable to the Meat Packing District and Soho, the two areas we were planning to visit, at a much better price than hotels we normally stay at in those areas. The sevice was amazing from the valet, to the bell hop, and front staff.
The area around the hotel is fun and bustling, even at night, and the rooms, beds and bedding were extremely comfortable.
We would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Bjoern B, Manager at Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
Dear LoriCKenyon92625,

We are glad that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay including our great staff. Thank you for posting and for your recommendation. We will look forward to your next stay...

bblaha@thompsonhotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

We have just returned from a 9 night stay in this excellent hotel. Having stayed in midtown on two previous occasions we wanted a change, but were reluctant at being so far downtown. We shouldn't have worried, this is an ideal location for even the first time visitor to NYC, the hotel is two streets from Fulton Street subway, which has almost every line running through it, or a further street to get to City Hall subway for another very useful line.
It is also useful for the East river ferry, this will get you up to midtown for $4, and in our view is the best $4 you could ever spend in New York.
The hotel staff are excellent,fom the front desk, to the doorman, to the staff in Felice restaurant. We have had larger rooms in Manhattan, but these are perfectly adequate. Apart from sleeping we spend very little time in them. Clothes storage is minimal, especially if you are in a twin double. We found the air conditioning in the room to be alittle on the noisy side, but not enough to keep you awake.
I do feel that a hotel of this caliber should offer in-room tea and coffee, we have stayed in budget hotels that offer this.
There are plenty of places to have breakfast as most workers in the financial district tend to have breakfast on the way to work.
During the week the area is buzzing, from early till late, restaurants and bars are lively. At the weekend it is bit quieter, which is a pleasant change.
As can be seen from previous reviews on choosing this hotel you wont be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank joseph m
Thank you for your recommendation and kind words regarding our staff, joseph m. We all hope you will be returning soon to Gild Hall on your next trip to New York City. Please don't hesitate to contact me directly if I can be of any assistance in the future.

Warm regards,

Morristown, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 September 2013

I stayed here over the weekend and absolutely loved Gild Hall. Complimentary Prosecco at check in was a nice touch and it spoke well towards the type of hotel Gild Hall is: boutique styling with the courtesy of a corporate, but very cool, parent company, Thompson. What this equates to is the ability to be unique, small and intimate while not carrying the associations of a spotty staff or maintenance record. Gild Hall brilliantly blends modern design with warm comfort, a feat not easily achieved. The room was fantastic - 12' + ceilings opened the space and the absence of the typical hotel "stock art" was well received by both parties. They do very well with the little space they had, but for an NYC hotel, and one downtown, the room felt spacious and well appointed. One thing that made a huge impact was the cleanliness of the bathroom. White pedestal sink was spotless and the water pressure and hot water will not disappoint. One thing though, the bathroom has a modern touch that maybe not everyone will appreciate: the wall between it and the bedroom is translucent, and you will see the figure of whoever's in there. So, it's not for the squeamish or overly private. Otherwise a fantastic, comfortable, clean and fashionable place for those that don't want the hustle, bustle and frenzy of a some of the larger design oriented stays. Also, many hotels like this try to make their lobby into a club (Tribeca/Soho Grand), probably to boost revenue. You won't find that here, which I personally find to be great. When I go home, I don't want to push through a bunch of drunk revelers, slamming bass, and have to show my keycard to a bouncer. Here its a nice quiet trip back to my room, past the friendly front desk staff and up to bed. Thanks Gild, you made for a great weekend.

Room Tip: We had a king deluxe room and I'll get the same again next time I stay. Large for NYC, quiet an...
Dear Brian1021,

Thank you for your amazing note! We appreciate your enthusiastic comments and look forward to your next visit.

Kindest regards,

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

Welcome to downtown NYC in the world famous financial area, near World Trade Center and Wall Street tourist sites. Everything you need is available at this hotel. The rooms are good, with drinks and a young crowd in house. A very good restaurant in the hotel, with a very good menu. Sports bar too. All the amenities that you need, and many more that you might want. Try it.

• Stayed September 2013
Thank you for your review, RodCurran! We'll look forward to your return....

Best regards,

Stratford, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 September 2013

This elegantly appointed hotel is quiet on weekends, when the financial district shuts down and it becomes more residential. We like quiet, but if you want nightlife, you have to go only a short distance to other neighborhoods.
The room was nicely appointed and roomy for two. Service was very friendly and courteous. The only thing I would comment on is that we had only one robe and asked for another to be left n our room when we went out for the day. It was not there and we didn't want to call for one once we undressed for the evening. Why is a room for two outfitted with one robe anyway?
They use a scent throughout the hotel. I happened to find it nice, but it might be a problem if you have scent sensitivities.
We got a good rate on a weekend. I understand it is rather pricy at full price, which could affect the value rating.
It is conveniently located only a few blocks to several subway lines, and a nice walk to the Brooklyn Bridge (to walk over) and to the Seaport, which is scheduled for demolition and may be disrupted in the near future.

Dear Debra G,

Thank you for your detailed review and your feedback. We apologize that your room was only equipped with one bathrobe. On another note, we are excited to hear how much you enjoyed our newly created and exclusive Thompson Hotel scent. We look forward to you visiting us again soon.

Kind regards,

Abu Dhabi
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

The Gild Hall is a boutique hotel. Great location for downtown, and close to my office. On this stay (my fifth), I have decided enough is enough.
The issues that I experienced were:
- Arrival and they had no note of previous stays (I was advised that they had changed their systems and lost data)
- Placed in a room with generator noise outside. Understandable after Hurricane Sandy, however there are no quiet rooms. If you arrive with jetlag - like me - you will also have insomnia
- Having reported the room issue at 03:00 on night two to Anthony at reception, no-one called back. Nor did anyone feel the need to contact me at any point during my stay. I stayed for six nights, mainly as I had unpacked and had meetings until late most days
- The next morning, after the early morning generator wake-up – I called down for breakfast at 06:30 when room service was due to start. The chef had not turned up, they would call me back. At 06:45 I called again (no call to my room). Still no chef. I noted that I needed coffee and asked for some toast. At 07:00 they called me and advised that the supervisor had decided that they could make coffee and toast. At 07:25 a bagel and coffee – and cheque - to be paid arrived. The bread for toast had not been delivered yet……
- The next morning I delivered two pairs of trousers at 06:45 for same day delivery. At 19:30 when they hadn’t arrived, I had to call reception. I was advised that the van had an accident and they would be delivered later. No note under the door…
- I then searched for the TV remote, it had been removed from the room. iI notified reception. 20 minutes later, another call to reception. After 30 minutes it was handed to me with no apology, just an "ok"?
Actually Gil Hall - NOT OK!

So there we have it.

Every day niggles which stressed and made me dread returning to the hotel. At more than USD 300 per night – you – and I – can surely find somewhere better.

Room Tip: Stay somehere else.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
3 Thank AbuDhabiTraveller
Bjoern B, Manager at Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, 18 September 2013
Dear AbuDhabiTraveller,

Thank you for also reaching out to me directly and giving me the opportunity to personally rectify the situation for you.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 September 2013

Lower Manhattan is a great place to stay on the weekend and Gild Hall was fabulous. Our room was clean and comfortable and everyone who worked there was pleasant and easy to work with. They really work hard to make you feel welcome and not just some random tourist. They offer valet parking but are quick to tell you to check out local garages for better rates. We stayed on the 11th floor by the elevator and it was extremely quiet (I am a light sleeper). My husband and I plan on returning!

Dear waysidelynne,

Thank you very much for your review. We are always proud to be considered "perfect". We look forward to your return visit...