“Gem of a hotel in the Financial District”

Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel
Ranked #30 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Portland, Maine
“Gem of a hotel in the Financial District”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We luckily found out about Gild Hall through booking on Hotwire. What a great little boutique hotel in the Financial District. Tucked away on a quiet street but close enough to all sorts of transportation and very walkable. You walk in and feel like you're in a very hip but somewhat grandfatherly library. Luscious leather everywhere. Staff was incredibly friendly. We even got a free room upgrade (this NEVER happens when you book on hotwire), so that started us off in a great way. They also have interesting one-room gyms, which makes for a private workout. Definitely recommend checking this one out.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Bjoern B, Manager at Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Dear wagnerlk,

We are thrilled to have earned your recommendation! We are very happy you liked our style and customer service. We appreciate your comment about our friendly staff and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. Please feel free to contact me directly and allow me to introduce you to our REPEAT guest program.

Kindest regards,

bblaha@thompsonhotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles
Reviewed 9 October 2013

If staying in the financial districts this is an amazing choice. The biggest rooms I've ever seen in a NY hotel, nice decor, extremely quiet, über comfortable bed, friendly helpful staff. My only complaint is the water pressure was inconsistent, to the point of a trickle at times, but it would always come back on momentarily. When I mentioned this to the staff, they apologized and gave me a certificate to upgrade to a premium king room for my next stay.

Good location for walking/running the Brooklyn Bridge and visiting the World Trade Center Memorial too.

• Stayed September 2013
Dear Elizabeth S,

Thank you very much for your lovely review of Gild Hall and for sharing your experiences on TripAdvisor. We appreciate you mentioning our service, even though things were not running smoothly for a short period of time. We will hold you to visiting us again...hopefully it will be soon!

Warm regards,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I have stayed many times in New York over the years and the Gild Hall was perfect for me on my last few trips with it`s proximity to the city and it`s unique decor gives it a nice vibe to stay at. The staff were really helpful and rooms are quiet.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Dear j d,

We appreciate you taking the time to review us on TripAdvisor. We are happy to hear that you continue to enjoy the location and service on your last few trips to New York City. Our team will be very pleased to hear about your positive experience. We are very grateful for your support and can't wait to welcome you back.

Kindest regards,

Cambridge, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 October 2013

I needed to make a last-minute change to my NYC trip and ended up using Hotwire to add a night to my stay. I got Gild Hall and after checking it out on Tripadvisor I was very pleased. But when I got to the hotel... different story :-( When I checked in (on the early side, maybe noonish) the woman at the front desk told me they only had one room available, with two beds, but if I didn't mind two beds then I could check in right away. In retrospect I think there was a reason they hadn't put anyone in that room! As soon as I got into the room I was really surprised. It was dark, ugly, and not in great shape. The lighting was all cheap fluorescents and it started giving me a migraine almost immediately (something that normally only happens with strobe lights or something extreme like that). Everything was just shabby and not very clean - the radiator was dented, there were greasy-looking fingerprints all over the guest information book on the bedside table, the headboard had marks all over it, there were bits of peeling wallpaper and worn-off paint, the baseboards are all beat up, the shower had mildew, the shower curtain had blue pen marks on it, the furniture was all scratched up, it looked like the area by the snacks hadn't been cleaned (drip marks etc.).

I was late to meet someone for lunch, and I was only going to be in the room for 18 hours, so I just figured I would suck it up instead of demanding a new room since I knew there weren't any available and I would have to wait some unknown amount of time (probably making me miss my lunch appointment). I have NO IDEA how this hotel has got such good reviews on Tripadvisor. No idea. Unless this is just the one bad room in the hotel or something. But I certainly can't recommend it and it's kind of scared me off using Hotwire for a while since I feel like I can't trust their star ratings to be even remotely accurate.

Aside from the actual room, the person at the front desk was very friendly and the location was quite convenient.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Sarah987654321
Bjoern B, Manager at Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, 4 October 2013
Dear Sarah987654321,

Thank you for sharing with us your feedback on your recent experience. At Thompson Hotels we strive to provide a unique balance of style and outstanding service to our guests in a beautiful, well appointed and functional environment. I am deeply embarrassed that your visit was spoiled by the mentioned incident and it is clear that we failed to achieve these primary objectives and for that we truly apologize. Some of our best improvements have come out of conversations with customers, so if you would be kind enough to contact us we would certainly appreciate it. Also, we would like to see if there is anything we can do to rectify the situation and welcome you back again. Please feel free to contact me at bblaha@thompsonhotels.com or 212-232-7818.

Warmest regards,

New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 October 2013 via mobile

I've stayed at well over 75 hotels in the city all 3 + times each and this is one of the best. First of all, the location is prefect. Your no more than a 5 min walk to basically every subway line that runs through the city. 2 stations are a block away. The Fulton station is an express stop for each line which is nice if you need to get back to hotel quick. Gild Hall is is in a quiet but busy part of city. Nice little area for any traveler. You are a 5 min walk away from the Sea Port, Brooklyn Bridge, Wall Street area, Stone Street... And you could walk to Battery Park if you wanted. There is 24 hr grocery store across the street that has every thing you need for your stay.

The rooms are nice and big. 18 x 20 with a king bed in the room. Very very clean and modern. Probably the cleanest rooms I've ever stayed in NYC. Have a mini bar in the room so you can put your stuff in. TV's in room are new. Nice 47 inch in the room I stayed in each time. Beds are very comfortable. Bathroom are super clean and modern as well. The doors are transparent like the reviews say which is a little odd but they match the interior of bathroom so I see why they designed it that way. No complaints really...
Hotel lobby is has a log cabin kinda feel but very unique. Not many hotels can pull it off, feels like your in a fancy hotel. .. well you are...
Service was great each time. Super friendly and helpful. Always smiling.

One of the best in the city no doubt! Excellent hotel!

• Stayed September 2013
Dear NYCKID414,

We are truly blown away by your stunning review and we are flattered you placing us in the TOP 5 in New York City. Your kind words regarding our staff are much appreciated. Please come back soon...

Warm regards,

Springfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Ended up at Gild Hall via a Hotwire deal. Normally when I book through Hotwire I prepare myself for a so-so room, but Gild Hall was a total pleasure. The room was spacious, not just for New York City standards, and very nicely appointed with modern furnishings and bedding. The bathroom was spotless and modern and something I'd love to have in my own home. Although I didn't interact very much with the staff, when I did my interactions were very pleasant and courteous.

If you have business in New York, even uptown, the location of the hotel is great. You're very close to the Fulton Street station, getting you anywhere you need to go in short order.

The only real negatives? Terrible cell reception, and no free wireless in the rooms, so I couldn't get much real work done. If they added free internet, this would be the perfect business hotel for me. Also, there is no in-room recycling, which seems to put Gild Hall behind the environmental practices of many of its competitors.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
We are glad that you enjoyed your stay, Amanda G. Thank you for your post and we will definitely take your thoughtful comments into consideration. We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future...

Kind regards,

Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 30 September 2013

I stay here regularly for work and the staff is always incredibly accomodating and the rooms are always extremely clean. The location is excellent, with many subway options close by...There is nothing like staying at the Gild Hall for a special and satisfying experience.

Thanks to their staff for such excellent support!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Thank you so much for acknowledging our dedication to customer care, zsm20. It means a lot to us that you are consistently enjoying your stay with us and your wonderful note about our amazing staff. We can't wait to welcome you back soon...

Your friends at Gild Hall...