“Decent hotel but not the warmest in winter.”

Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel
Ranked #33 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 13 February 2014

The room was clean and the staff were friendly and helpful. One problem was the room struggled to deal with the freezing temperatures outside. It wasn't cold in the room but it often felt like it could be warmer and the heating was on full all day. I realise the weather in New York has been unusually cold this winter but I think the heating looks a bit dated and could use being upgraded. I guess not being locals we aren't used to the bitter cold of New York. The location is good although it takes a while to get your bearings around the area. Even Taxi drivers didn't know the street. So make sure you bring a map. Surprised that breakfast wasn't included but I gather that this is normal in the USA. In Europe almost all hotels include breakfast. I liked the decor of the place, I like the classic look although my girlfriend disagreed. It does sometimes feel more like you're entering a bar in the evening rather than a hotel. The reception desk is not in the best place but not much they can do about that I suppose.

Overall, apart from the cold, the rooms are quiet and the beds are comfortable. I suppose for New York prices we got a decent deal. I think it is a place more for business trips rather than tourists.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jimmy_Kuba
Bjoern B, Manager at Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear Jimmy_Kuba,

Thank you for your review. We will be sure to follow up on the details of your comment as we continue to strive for perfection and look forward to welcoming you back to Gild Hall - A Thompson Hotel in the future...

Kindest regards,

bblaha@thompsonhotels.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,779)

Reviewed 13 February 2014

stayed at gild hall from Sunday to Wednesday with my two grand children and my friend. arrived Sunday at 1:30 pm and we were greeted by the most pleasant staff of any hotel i have ever stayed. the check in was flawless and room was ready even though we were early. after going to the room we went down to the lobby for a bite at a very up scale but casual rest. the service was excellent and the food was good. my 9 year old grand daughter we out to the front desk and quickly made friends with rob and the front desk staff. it was my grand children's birthday and as we came back to the hotel they had made up box of goodies for oliva and zach. the rooms were clean and comfortable. but what impressed me the most was the staff that made you feel like very special guests.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear sweetlou80,

Thank you very much for your kind note. We truly appreciate your thoughtful comment about our staff, particularly about our colleague Robert. This will definitely put a big smile on his face.
Please come back soon...

Reviewed 12 February 2014

I found this hotel using the Hotel Tonight app. Got a room that was originally $330 for about $150. Totally worth it. The rooms are fancy but their age is somewhat apparent. Very cozy. I wouldn't say the financial district is a prime location for tourists. But I'm a New Yorker and I would stay again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

We are happy you found us, TheWordOfYourLord, and that you enjoyed your stay.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future...

Kind regards,

Reviewed 10 February 2014

I had a wonderful stay at Gild Hall February 3rd and 4th. I was in town for a job interview, and the staff was as excited as I was about it! I arrived early, getting in before a heavy snow. The gent at the front desk found a room for me and I was able to check in early. I had the day to myself to explore Manhattan in a snowstorm, which was a really cool experience.

I enjoyed a delicious meal at Felice, where everyone was friendly and accommodating. The food was great, and the service was better. It was a bit pricey, but that's not unexpected for the area.

My room was a delight. The decor was beautiful and comfortable, and I had all I needed right there. I even got a workout! The exercise rooms are a bit small, and the machine wipes were dry, but I still got a great workout. I ironed my interview clothes and used the wifi for some last minute preparations. After that, I settled in and was cozy and warm during the storm.

I awoke to a requested wake-up call and had plenty of time to get ready. When I checked out, the two young women at the front desk were so excited and encouraging for me that I couldn't help but be optimistic going into my interviews. They let me store my luggage and help it for me during the day, which was a great help. When I was done, I came back and the bellman found me a place to get into traveling clothes and went way out of his way to find me a cab to Laguardia. I wish I had the names of the young ladies at the desk and the bellman so I could thank them. They were really sweet and that made all the difference in the world for me. If I get the job I will surely come back to say thank you!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear havercamps,

Your enthusiasm is greatly appreciated. Customer care is very important to us and we are glad to have provided a warm and welcoming stay. Thank you very much for your thoughtful review. We look forward to your next visit - hopefully because you need to look for an apartment...

Reviewed 9 February 2014

Great find in the Financial District of NYC. Easy to navigate location surrounded by the pulse of Wall Street in the day and rather quiet and relaxing at night. Quick block to subway makes it easy get around, friendly and very accommodating staff, clean, big rooms, cozy beds and all the amenities you expect in a hotel. Will book again.

Room Tip: Higher up the better!
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, Rebecca S, and we hope you will visit again soon...

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 7 February 2014

If you're looking for a great spot to stay in NYC Manhattan, try GILD HALL - A Thompson Hotel tucked away in the Financial District. Easily accessible to public transportation to any an all parts of the city. The hotel itself is quaint and clean, with spacious rooms for NYC. Cannot beat the service and if you like Italian, FELICE adjoining the hotel is superb. Bartenders are mixologists with stories to boot. A good place to stay if you want to imbibe the city but have a relatively quiet night after the hoopla. I spent my 50th birthday here while enjoying the city and this is a jewel I would revisit!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Thomas T

Dear Thomas T,

We look forward to your return visit and are happy that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay with us. Thank you for your great review....

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 6 February 2014

Gild Hall was a winner from the moment I stepped through the doors. The front desk staff were welcoming and helpful. The lobby library was warm and the bar quiet, just what I was looking for. My room, an upgraded King, was spacious and clean. Free champagne greeted us at check in. View was unremarkable, neighborhood was quiet with an inexpensive diner for breakfast only a block away. Wasn't there long enough to try the restaurant, but the menu looked delicious. Short walk to Wall Street. If you are looking for a quiet place with excellent service and attention, Gild Hall is your place. I would definitely come back again.

Room Tip: my room on the 12th floor was perfect.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Jill S

Dear Jill S,

We greatly appreciate your enthusiasm and kind words about your experience while staying at the hotel. Thank you very much for posting...