“Perfect !”

Ranked #32 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Montreal
“Perfect !”
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I have nothing bad to say! The room was nice and the bed was very comfortable. They have great service and the staff is friendly and professionnal. Very good location too. I particularly loved the design on the lobby, it rustic look.

1 Thank Roxanne1234
Bjoern B, Manager at Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear Roxanne1234,

Thank you so much for reviewing your perfect experience with us! We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us! Thank you for your wonderful comments about our design, comfortable beds, convenient location and about our amazing staff. We take great pride in our team and the first class service that we offer. We look forward to welcoming you back home in the near future...

Warmest regards,

bblaha@thompsonhotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 12 May 2014

Whenever I travel to a different city, I always look for hotels and restaurants off the beaten path. It is a thrill to find a cozy place to stay that bucks the cookie cutter molds of the big chains, or a restaurant that oozes atmosphere and caters to locals in the know.

Gild Hall has all of that. The best word would be "boutique", but at reasonable rates for New York. From the unique, almost lodge-like lobby, to the utterly charming bar and restaurant, the first impression is, "This is a cool little place." The staff at the front desk is courteous and very pleasant. Robert checked us in and was engaging and professional. The hotel is small, but clean and charming, very European feeling. The location is on a quiet corner in the Financial District, not far from the Federal Reserve. There are a handful of coffee shops and small restaurants nearby, but it is a very short walk to Broadway. It was nice to be staying out of earshot from all of the hustle and bustle, but to have all of the shopping and dining you could want just a block and a half away.

One of the reasons I booked with Gild Hall was not only the positive TripAdvisor reviews, but also the responsiveness of the hotel's general manager, Mr. Bjoern Blaha, to all of the reviews, whether they were gushing with compliments, or had a nit pick or two. And I would find out just how responsive Mr. Blaha is with his guests.

I emailed him for advice on how best to get to the restaurant where my wife and I would be celebrating a special anniversary. Not only was he very helpful with several transportation options, but he upgraded our room, and showed as much enthusiasm for our special weekend as we did! We communicated several times leading up to our stay. I really felt the hotel was as invested in making our experience a memorable one as I was in planning it.

As the weekend approached, I contacted Mr. Blaha once more to find a salon where my wife could have hair and makeup before our big night. He introduced his concierge, Ms. Peri Silverberg, and she got to work scheduling an amazing indulgence for my unsuspecting bride. Ms. Silverberg arranged an appointment with a very hip Soho salon, where makeup artists and stylists from Vogue transformed her from a beautiful mom into a stunning runway model! Every time she caught a glimpse in a mirror or storefront, she couldn't help but giggle with delight.

We were thrilled with the spacious upgrade that Mr. Blaha provided. The King Suite was decadent by Manhattan standards, and featured a huge living room, a convenient efficiency kitchen, a sumptuous marble and glass tiled bath, and a very funky and comfortable bedroom. We almost wanted to skip dinner and just enjoy our chic pad.

We returned to our room to find a complimentary bottle of Prosecco, a sweet note wishing us a happy anniversary, and vouchers for my wife's favorite drink at the bar. I can't compliment Mr. Blaha and his staff enough for making this a magical and very special weekend. We will definitely return to Gild Hall the next time we find ourselves in New York!

Room Tip: Parking was very easy. There are several options in the block surrounding the hotel. Our SUV(subje...
1 Thank Bill M
Bjoern B, Manager at Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014
Dear Bill M,

On behalf of the entire team at Gild Hall, thank you for your wonderful review! Words cannot express our gratitude for such wonderful comments regarding your experience while staying at Gild Hall - A Thompson Hotel. We are honored that you chose us as for celebrating your special occasion! Thank you so much for your affirmation of our staff as the element which truly makes our hotel outstanding. It is always rewarding when one of our team members are acknowledged by name, and we thank you very much for highlighting Robert and Peri for the wonderful service they provided you when staying with us. Your warm note regarding our personalized service approach you experienced from the time of completing your reservation to departing the hotel mean the world to us. Your review inspires us to continue in our mission of treating each guest with the utmost genuine service. I would like to thank you again for reaching out to me personally prior to your stay with us and granting us the opportunity to create this special memory for you and your wife. We look forward to your return visit and are humbled that you have now found a place to call home in New York City...

Warmest regards,

bblaha@thomspsonhotels.com
Laurel, Maryland
Reviewed 12 May 2014

The hotel, staff and venue were excellent--I would stay at the Gild again if I had business on Wall Street. The location was convenient to everything. The rooms were well equipped and the beds were comfortable.

Room Tip: oops no pool but would have loved to been able to swim
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank meg4164
Dear meg4164,

Thank you so much for reviewing your experience with us! It was a pleasure to be your host on your recent business trip to New York City. We are thrilled to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for your wonderful comments about our staff, superior room product, comfortable beds, and convenient location. We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future...

Kindest regards,

Northport, New York
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I spent 1 night with my boyfriend here and I found the service amazing. Very cozy hotel. My TV didn't work so they fixed it and sent a fruit platter with apologies, That is First class service..Bar was very nice and people very friendly. I will stay again soon. Felt like a get-a-away even though I only live an hour away!

Room Tip: I got a very good price on Kayak
1 Thank lynnedc2014
Bjoern B, Manager at Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear lynnedc2014,

Thank you so much for your fantastic review! We are so thrilled to hear that you found great comfort in your stay with us and we very much appreciate your kind words regarding our superior service and our amazing staff. We are humbled by your comment that we were able to create a relaxing getaway for you and we look forward to welcoming you back home soon....

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 May 2014

I'm torn on how to rate the Gild Hall: should one rate it in comparison to all the other hotels that one has stayed at around the world or in relation to the way one expects it to be after reading reviews on TripAdvisor and seeing it promoted in magazines and the such-like? I'm going to err on the harsh side and rate it in relation to my expectations....

So... the hotel is a flash place and obviously designed by or for some very masculine people. Dark bold colours, lots of leather and bookcases abound downstairs. Our room was missing quite a few perhaps expected items: no kettle (I'm a Brit, forgive me), no iron, no hairdryer, a brutally bright light in the bathroom and no way of turning the bathroom light on without waking up your bed colleague.

But, most of all the thing that most made me deeply distrust the hotel was the bottle of water by the bed. A litre of lovely water, which after our twelve hour journey was much desired. However, just before opening it I spotted the $8 price tag. I know this is New York City but really, $8 for a bottle of water?! And printing on a clear plastic sticker that you are putting on a clear plastic bottle. What a pathetic piece of marketing. There was even a second smaller bottle for $6 on a shelf.

The restaurant served a pleasant breakfast, if very overpriced. The mixologist barman worked some wonders for us and, if I was to return to the hotel, it would be only to have a drink at the bar.

If you're thinking of visiting as a tourist to New York I'd recommend going somewhere further up Manhattan: East Village probably, for me. This really is so far south that it's only useful if you're (1) working in the financial district, (2) going to be visiting the Statue of Liberty every day or (3) plan on taking numerous helicopter flights.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear ncw73,

Thank you for your comprehensive review. I would like to express my sincerest apologies for the challenges you experienced within your room. Our hotel rooms are unfortunately not equipped with a water kettle. However, we do provide them upon request. Furthermore, I am sorry that you were not able to locate the hair dryer and the iron & ironing board in your room. Lastly, I am perturbed that you found our display of water bottles and the price tag to be misleading. Please kindly note that this is not our intention and we additionally believe that the price for our FRED water is quite reasonable for its size. Bottom line, it is extremely disheartening when our guests do not receive the superior service and product for which we pride ourselves on. We do hope that you will provide us with the opportunity to regain your faith in Gild Hall - A Thompson Hotel and I would love to discuss your experience personally with you. Please feel free to contact me directly at bblaha@thompsonhotels.com in order to give us the opportunity to make things right for you.

Kindest regards,

Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed 7 May 2014

This hotel is super convenient if you want to be by Wall St and lower Manhattan. The service is very helpful. When I checked in they were efficient and prompt, and I was very impressed with the young man who when out to get me a cab for the airport. The only downside is the rooms are quite small, and relatively spartan. There is also a nice bar and restaurant.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Bjoern B, Manager at Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, 8 May 2014
Dear Ken R,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your experience with us. We are delighted to hear that you found our team to be friendly, helpful and efficient. We are also pleased to read your kind note about our wonderful restaurant Felice. We regret however that you found your particular accommodation to be smaller than expected. We do hope that you will provide us with the opportunity to host you at Gild Hall - A Thompson Hotel and I will be more than happy to personally assist you with reserving a more spacious accommodation.

Miano, Italy
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I spent five days in this Hotel in last April and I found everything fantastic. Rooms are very clean, and the staff are very kind to everybody and very helpful. It is close to an important subway station.
FELICE Bar and Restaurant , inside the hotel, are extraordinary both for the staff and for the italian food.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Roberto S,

Thank you for your great review! I am so thrilled to hear that you found great comfort in your stay with us in addition to your enjoyment of our convenient location. Thank you also for your wonderful comments about our incredible restaurant Felice. We very much appreciate your kind words regarding our amazing staff and are most thankful for your recommendation. We look forward to welcoming you back to Gild Hall - A Thompson Hotel soon!