“wonderful stay!”

Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel
Ranked #34 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I stayed here with 20 of my colleagues and I couldn't have been happier with the accommodations! I was able to book a room block flawlessly and for a reasonable price for the area. The staff went above and beyond to make sure our needs were met and we felt welcome. The interiors were swanky and funky and the entire group LOVED the hotel.

The manager met me at the door with a champagne toast and I really appreciated the personal touch. I would definitely suggest this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Madelyn A
Bjoern B, Manager at Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Dear Madelyn A,

Thank you for your fantastic review! We were privileged to host you and your colleagues on this recent visit to New York City and we are thrilled to hear that everybody LOVED the hotel. Thank you for your fabulous comments about our amazing staff going above and beyond for you in anticipating your needs. We are most humbled by your recommendation and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future...

Warmest regards,

bblaha@thompsonhotels.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,797)

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Stayed at the Gild Hotel June 8th for 7 nights.We went to NY to celebrate my 50th birthday,from the moment we arrived there we recieved nothing but excellent service. Violet on reception organized cookies & cupcakes,to be sent up to our room, free cocktails,even glasses of champagne. David on reception helped us replace our tickets for a Broadway show that we had printed off - and then left them at home!! We were also given a code to enter which enabled us to recieve free Wi-Fi which was invaluable in a big city.Situated near to Wall Street it was quiet at night & the weekend which you dont find if you stay up town/mid town.
Their care and excellent service is what makes this hotel a gem in a big city like NY.We would not hesitated to reccommend The Gild Hotel & their excellent staff.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tinkerbell09uk

Dear tinkerbell09uk,

It is such a treat to read your fabulous review! Thank you for such wonderful comments regarding your recent stay with us. We are most humbled by your kind words regarding our great staff and we would like to thank you for recognizing Violet and the inviting gesture she provided you, in acknowledging your 50th birthday celebration with cookies & cupcakes and the free glasses of champagne as well as David helping you to replace your Broadway show tickets. We take great pride in our amazing team and the unrivaled service that we offer. Our heartfelt belief is that our associates are our greatest asset and it is most rewarding to hear that we were able to deliver on our service promise of genuinely caring for our guests and anticipating their needs. We look forward to the privilege of welcoming you back home in the near future...

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 10 July 2014

The customer service at Gild Hall is top-notch. I felt so welcomed. The rooms are nice and the bar is fun, but the staff truly makes the difference. I wouldn't normally choose to stay downtown when visiting New York, but I look forward to staying at Gild Hall again soon.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo

Dear Rochelle P,

We are humbled by your warm comments about our beautifully appointed rooms and our restaurant & wine bar Felice. It is so rewarding to hear that your experience was indicative of our service promise of genuinely caring for our guests and anticipating their needs. We are especially honored to know that we have secured your loyalty. We are looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future...

Reviewed 8 July 2014

What a great little boutique hotel! We traveled to NYC for the fireworks display on the 4th, as well as a birthday weekend, and couldn't have been more pleased with the accomodations. Gild Hall is tucked away on a little side street in lower Manhatten, on Gold St., but the entrance is on Platt St. Even the cabbie had a bit of difficulty finding it, but we made the block and viola! It has a classy, understated entrance with a red awning, but once you walk in...WOW! The upscale, hip, cool decor and wonderful aroma in the lobby welcomed us as much as the friendly staff. They couldn't have been more attentive to my lost luggage situation, and helped me with complimentary toiletries as well as finding a place to buy clothes at a nearby department store. Many thanks to them all!
The lobby is attached to a nice and always lively bar, and the very nice Felice Italian restaurant is connected right next door. Both were wonderful.
The room was right next to the quick response elevators, which worried us to start with, but we never heard any noise during our 3 nite stay. We had a spacious room for NY, with a soft king bed, and small fridge. Other reviewers mentioned the small rooms, but this one was very nice and plenty of room, especially since we were there only late nite. Great stay! We plan to go back again!
TIP: the ice machine closest to the 16th floor was behind an unmarked door, but count 4 doors down on the right past the elevators.
Close to Wall St. and the financial district and 9/11 museum, and fairly close to Battery Park and the Statue of Liberty. Easy access to the subway system, with Fulton St. within 3 blocks.

Room Tip: Ice machines are unmarked behind hallway doors, so ask for exact location. Free wifi in lobby.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear PascagoulaRon,

Thank you for your exceptional review! We are honored that you chose Gild Hall - A Thompson Hotel for your birthday weekend and we are thrilled to hear that your overall experience was outstanding! Thank you also for taking the time to acknowledge the unrivaled service provided to you by our entire staff. We are most thankful for your commitment to return to Gild Hall on your next visit to New York City. Please come back soon...

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I booked Gild Hall solely based on TripAdvisor reviews, so I want to give a detailed review of my stay.

The Good:

Location:
For people who want to be away from the crowds of the midtown this is a great alternative. I like the Financial District area; it is very quiet at nights and the weekends and very convenient via subway. I recommend getting a subway pass if you want to see the city though since walking to uptown will take you a good 40 minutes. Hotel is located to many subway lines and it took me 10 minutes to go to East 57th street with metro. There are many parking lots in the area if you have your car with you. Everything is within walking distance, restaurants, subway, various cafes, and pharmacies.

Rooms:
I had a corner room in one of the upper floors; it did not have any adjoining rooms and was very quiet. You could crack open the window a bit. Bathroom was clean also. Even though the décor is modern it is not a brand new hotel and you can tell. It had very limited furniture and next to none closet/storage space which can be an issue if you are staying here for long, but it was OK for me. The room did not have curtains, just wooden blinds that goes with the hotel’s lodge décor, but I would have preferred blackout curtains. Overall it met my basic expectations of noise and cleanliness.
Staff:
Staff was very nice, front desk employees were all young and friendly and helpful.

The Bad:
Luxury is in the details and Gild Hall did not deliver on that aspect. It seems and feels like a budget hotel, not at all a 4 star which is supposed to be above average.
Room was tiny, the smallest place I have ever stayed which includes hotels in midtown and others in downtown. They say hotels in downtown have larger rooms, but this was not the case. I am a small person and I kept bumping into furniture because there was pretty much no room to move. Also I am surprised that in such a small room they wasted half of the closet space with a minibar and unnecessary snacks. I’d rather have space to put my clothes than candy that I won’t eat. And of course room is packed with candy, water, wine etc that they want you to purchase, a little too much I thought.

Bathroom also has almost no storage with a free standing sink. They had couple shelves above the toilet but again not enough if you stay there more than few days. Standard bottles shampoo, lotion etc but no shower cap.

They made sure there are no hooks to hang your stuff either. There is only a towel bar to hang your towel and no other hooks to hang anything else. In such a small space I would assume they would put hooks on the walls and doors to give people some extra space to hang things also they can easily add shelves above the bathtub to store towels, most hotels so that. They had only couple bath towels and hand towels, and if you are a couple or family you will not have enough towels and again no place to hang the wet ones. It was rather annoying.
I drove to the city and parked in one of the parking garages in the neighborhood, most places are $30/24 hours plus tax. Hotel charges you $55/day, no clue why, especially when there are many other garages all around the place.

There is no free WIFI in the rooms, I think they should offer that.

The Ugly:
I am not sure if all the rooms are the same, but the room I stayed had a glass bathroom door. Who on earth would come up with this idea? I have never seen anything so illogical in my life. You are in a tiny room and the only privacy you may ever get is in the bathroom that has a glass door! I cannot even imagine what families with kids thought of that. I will not recommend this hotel to people that are not too comfortable with each other solely because of this reason. I ended up hanging a pashmina over the door, and if I did not have anything with me I would probably ask for an extra sheet. From my perspective that is unacceptable. Even if you are staying there alone you may have guests coming up and imagine, a definite NO!

Bottom Line:
I recommend Gild Hall to solo travelers looking for a clean, quiet place. I do not think it is great for larger groups. It is not luxurious by no means, so do not get fooled by the star ratings, but it is clean and quiet and they do welcome pets!

Tips:
Don't forget to try pastries at Financier Patisserie down the street.

Room Tip: I stayed in a corner room in upper floors.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bostonian1999
Bjoern B, Manager at Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear Bostonian1999,

Thank you for your detailed review. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed our convenient Lower Manhattan location including our well-appointed rooms and our friendly & helpful staff. However, we regret to hear of the negative elements you experienced whilst staying with us. Please accept our sincere apology that our room product and our bathroom design did not meet your expectations. Please note that the hotel does feature certain room types with a different layout that would definitely meet your needs. I will be more than happy to personally assist you with confirming a larger accommodation better suited to your needs. Please feel free to contact me directly at bblaha@thompsonhotels.com. Thank you again for choosing Gild Hall - A Thompson Hotel for this visit to the city. We do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future to restore your faith in our superior product and unrivaled service...

Kind regards,

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I stayed at the Gild Hotel as part of a wedding which was being held in Brooklyn. While not the greatest location in Manhattan (around the corner from Wall St in Financial District) it makes a great spot for centralizing any activities in NYC, and was very convenient for getting to the wedding in Brooklyn. There are several subway lines near the hotel making getting pretty much anywhere in NYC pretty easy from here.

The room was nice - one odd thing was the location of the bathroom in relation to the room / bed. The entrance to the bathroom was very close to where you get out of bed. But the room was a great size for NYC and the bed was clean and comfortable.

Service seemed pretty good, but I did not need much service. I had a really tasty Mezcal Margarita at the bar. I did not eat at the hotel restaurant, but others did and said it was pretty good.

The best part of the experience was the fact that I got a great deal (booked as part of the wedding) which made it a really good value for Manhattan.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Dear Tushar T,

Thank you for your pleasant review. We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your overall stay with us including our beautifully appointed rooms and found our service to be friendly and attentive. Thank you also for your wonderful comments about our tasty Mezcal Margarita.
We do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Gild Hall - A Thompson Hotel in the near future. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us....

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 3 July 2014 via mobile

A very nice hotel, very clean and in a great location. We were able to walk around to multiple tourist spots as well as walk to multiple subway stations. Easy to get on them and back. Hotel wasn't too expensive and there are multiple places to eat and drink around it. Would stay here again for sure

Stayed: July 2014

Dear Brandan R,

Thank you for your amazing review! We are so excited to read about how much you enjoyed our convenient Lower Manhattan location and our clean and beautifully appointed rooms. We are humbled to know that we have secured your loyalty and look forward to welcoming you back to Gild Hall - A Thompson Hotel in the near future...