“Come for the great boutique hotel; keep coming back for the amazing staff”

Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel
Ranked #36 of 467 Hotels in New York City
“Come for the great boutique hotel; keep coming back for the amazing staff”
Reviewed 22 August 2014

There are 1765 hotels in New York City (Google it!) and yet every time I’m there, I choose to stay at Gild Hall. The reasons why start as soon as you walk through the front door. It’s more than the warm wood floors or comfy leather appointed furniture that greats you; It’s the home away from home with friends feel you get from the glass of Prosecco welcoming you or the checkers board in the living room’esque lobby waiting to be played. But just a nice environment does not a great hotel make; it ultimately comes down to the staff. I’m not going to list all of the Gild Hall persons who consistently go above and beyond as it would literally be a reprint of the entire staff directory. Rather, I’ll list the adjectives that come to mind when I think of everyone I’ve met: attentive, warm, professional, attention to detail, conscientious, accommodating, welcoming, friendly… I’ll stop now before I run out of space, but these are the attributes that sets Gild Hall apart from a cold, sterile, corporate factory hotel with an ever changing staff. Instead, it’s a boutique hotel that you enjoy coming to as much as the city itself. In essence, that’s really the key to my love for Gild Hall. I just really like coming here because of the staff as much as I love coming to NYC. Which I do. A lot.
The great location doesn’t hurt either. Gild Hall is about a 15 min subway ride, straight shot, from Penn Station. It’s close to the Fulton station which is a hub for the 2,3,4,5,A,C,J,Z lines and walking distance to the PATH train at World Trade Center and to the south ferry terminal. If you’re there for business, it’s perfectly located in lower Manhattan. If you’re there for pleasure, it’s quietly nestled away from all the hustle and bustle crowds and tourist masses so you can relax and decompress at the end of the day.
I will end my love letter to Gild Hall with a recount of one of the many incidents that keep me coming back. I had been away for several months, long enough to have been forgotten by any chain hotel, and I decided to pass though NYC at Christmas on the spur of the moment. Someone saw my name on the register that day and when I arrived to my room there were cupcakes and a note saying welcome back waiting for me. Cupcakes! Not some pillow chocolates, but cupcakes! Waiting for me on Christmas Eve. That’s the warm feeling I get here and nowhere else. And that right there sums up why Gild Hall is my home away from home.

Room Tip: Ask for anything you want, the staff is every accommodating.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Bjoern B, Manager at Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, 24 August 2014
Dear MrCDuncan,

Wow! On behalf of the entire team at Gild Hall - A Thompson Hotel: Thank you for your love letter and your glowing recommendation! We truly believe in the fundamentals of hospitality where we live with the heart of an innkeeper and celebrate individuality on a daily basis. What makes Gild Hall so special is the unrivaled genuine service provided by our truly outstanding staff. Your wonderful comments about our entire team and the exceptional service they consistently providing you with, truly inspires us to aim even higher. We are most honored to have secured your loyalty and look forward to welcoming you back home in the near future...

Warmest regards,

bblaha@thompsonhotels.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Twickenham
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Usually stay at Millenium Hilton when on business in NYC - decided to change this time after another stay of being treated like one of many in the herd

The Gild Hall changed all that from the complimentary glass of Prosseco on arrival (I'm a sucker for a freebie) to the wonderfully friendly check out

One of the quietest hotels I've stayed at in NYC due to its positioning down a side street in the Financial District BUT still very close to 4 subway lines at Fulton Street and within easy walking distance of our offices in Battery Park

All the staff are bright young things who seem genuinely interested in providing a great service to their guests - something they certainly achieved.

There's free wifi in the lobby area which makes for a very convivial atmosphere there in amongst the phalanx of books on the shelves - certainly a favourite of the social media crowd keeping in touch with family at home

Rooms were well decorated and very clean - beds excellent. My only quibble was that I didn't have a means to boil water for a cup of tea - yes, I am English!!

I have already recommended this hotel to a number of colleagues and I'll be returning myself next time I am in NYC - for business or pleasure

Room Tip: Was on the 15th floor - no issues with my room at all
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Bjoern B, Manager at Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Dear JonesyTwickenham,

Thank you for your exceptional review. We are so delighted to hear that in comparison to your previous preferred hotel, you found our service to be particularly attentive and personal. We are thrilled to hear that our hotel provided a calm oasis for you. At Gild Hall - A Thompson Hotel we truly believe in the fundamentals of hospitality where we live with the heart of an innkeeper and celebrate individuality on a daily basis. What makes Gild Hall so special is the unrivaled genuine service provided by our amazing staff and it is most rewarding to hear that your experience was indicative of this. We are most grateful to have secured your unwavering loyalty and look forward to welcoming you and your colleagues in the near future...

P.S.: Please contact me directly before your next stay with us, so I can make sure you will be able to get your cup of tea.

Pasadena, California
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I've traveled to NYC for over 30 years and finally have found a QUIET retreat from the sirens and noise...Gild Hall. A European style Hotel offering comfort in an area of the city I'd never really experienced, Gild Hall offers everything - a quality restaurant, comfortable beds and a wonderfully responsive and attentive Staff. Thank you Gild Hall for the stay - we will be back!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank chuck w
Dear chuck w,

Thank you for your wonderful review. We are thrilled to hear that our product and the service provided by our great staff exceeded your expectations. We are humbled to receive such exceptional accolades from an experienced traveler such as yourself and we are most grateful for your pleasant comments regarding our convenient & quiet location in Lower Manhattan, our amazing restaurant Felice and our responsive and attentive team. Thank you for choosing to stay with us, we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back home on your next visit to New York City...

Brisbane
Reviewed 20 August 2014 via mobile

This hotel far exceeded my expectations. The room was larger than I expected after hearing stories about NY accommodation. It was clean and even with all the street noise it was relatively quiet. The only negative was the noise of the air-con but this didn't detract from our experience too much. The WIFI in the lobby was fast and reliable.

The hotel is close to the Fulton St subway station so it's easy to go uptown and experience everything then return to the relative quiet of the hotel.

The staff were all excellent and I would like to thank Andy for his directions and tips while we were there.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear DavinC,

Thank you for your exceptional review. We are so excited to hear that our service and product exceeded your expectations. Thank you for such wonderful comments about our great team and our superior room product. We are humbled to learn about your acknowledgement in regard to the fantastic service provided to you by Andy. Thank you for choosing Gild Hall - A Thompson Hotel for this visit to New York City. We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back in the near future...

Warm regards,

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Just returned from a great weekend in New York City, stayed @ the Gild Hall, a few blocks from Wall St. This boutique hotel has all the charm of a private club and the staff were gracious and accommodating, a tranquil oasis in the midst of the hustle and bustle that is NY. We were upgraded and given a clean, quiet room on the third floor.

P.S. Using one of the Hotels bikes was a major plus.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank IGLOO_12
Dear IGLOO_12,

Thank you for your marvelous review. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our superb Downtown location in addition to our unrivaled service, superior room product and sophisticated design. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back soon...

Golden, Colorado
Reviewed 18 August 2014

My husband and I visited NY, NY for the first time this past weekend. We really didn't know what to expect and were somewhat apprehensive about it. From the moment we entered Gild Hall until we left, we were treated like royalty. The staff were absolutely amazing. They made sure we were well taken care of without pestering us. The location was perfect. The hotel itself was really awesome, great decor, great setup, cool books everywhere, a chilled, but classy environment. Our room was perfect. The air was clean. We were right by the elevators, but never heard anything. Felice, the hotel restaurant, was superb with great food and excellent staff. We can't say enough good about this place. We've traveled a lot, but don't remember having such a positive stay at a hotel ever. We'll be going back!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Ana Z,

Thank you for your amazing review and for allowing us to turn a first impression into a lasting one! It is so rewarding to hear that our staff was able to exceed your expectations. We take great pride in our team and the unrivaled service that they offer. Your review inspires us to continue in our mission of treating each guest with the utmost genuine service throughout all departments. We are so humbled to receive your affirmation of Gild Hall - A Thompson Hotel being the best hotel in New York City! We will be sure to share your feedback with the entire team and we are looking forward to the privilege of welcoming you back home in the near future...

Warmest regards,

Cold Spring, New York
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I just finished a return visit to Gild Hall and I'm making it my go-to hotel when I visit the city. Once again, the staff was fantastic - walking around the corner with a luggage cart to help me unload my car, for instance. Our room was comfortable, stylish, and quiet. I also noticed in this visit that the neighborhood is quite convenient - there are many options for coffee and pastries within 2 blocks, for instance, which is great for me because I really need the morning jolt.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank P2Traveler
Bjoern B, Manager at Gild Hall, a Thompson Hotel, responded to this review, 18 August 2014
Dear P2Traveler,

Thank you for your continued commitment and patronage to Gild Hall - A Thompson Hotel! We are thrilled to hear that your experience was just as outstanding as the first. We take great pride in our amazing team and the unrivaled service that we offer. Our heartfelt belief is that our associates are our greatest asset and it is most rewarding to hear that we were able to deliver on our service promise of genuinely caring for our guests and anticipating their needs. We look forward to the privilege of welcoming you back home in the near future...

Warm regards,