“Friendly and thoughtful new management”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Gracie Inn

The Gracie Inn
Ranked #59 of 75 New York City B&B and Inns
Portland, Oregon
“Friendly and thoughtful new management”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2009

I loved my stay at the Gracie Inn. The new manager, Daniel, is a pleasure & he made sure my requests were taken care of. It has a homey feel, as if you are staying in a furnished apartment. I will definitely stay there on my next NY trip. And the rates are reasonable.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Lapeer, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2009

We were camping on Long Island and the rain made my girlfriend and I book another hotel in the city. The Gracie Inn Cost us $180 and it wasnt worth pocket change. The woman at the desk was very nice, as well as the manager. The housekeeper had forgot to clean our room so we were assigned a new room, surprise, he forgot that too. They said he was an immigrant from Russia so when they asked him if he cleaned he said yes. We waited on the stairwell for over an hour and were refused any discounts for our patience. We finally got into our cramped room with a lovely view of the bricks. The room had mold, the window wouldnt close and it was incredibly noisy. We had asked for our continental breakfast at 9 oclock. So at 7 the next morning Vladimir brought us our lovely breakfast. What was on the menu you ask? A great spread of a stale blueberry muffin, two pieces of rye bread, not toast, bread; and a little bit of orange and grapefruit juice. Atleast the juice was good. I highly recommend you stay away from the Gracie Inn, unless Sven is back in Russia. If you must stay there when you check in, ask if Alex is working, and if he is run very far away.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2009

I have been staying at The Gracie Inn for years and I am happy to see that they finally expanded the breakfast menu. The new spa bath amenities and eco-friendly cleaning supplies were a surprise, too! Not only was my room charming but... very clean quiet, as well.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Pittsburgh, PA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2009

I selected this inn because of its location in the upper east side of Manhattan and
the convenience of being an apartment type residence, with a kitchenette, a full bath and a
space for having meals. Most reviews were kind to it, except one, which rated it poorly.
Probably, I should have followed this lone advice to avoid this so called inn...
Photos were deceiving, and none showed any of the rooms. We were promised room 207 and given another one, on the second floor.
I am an experienced traveler, and I want others to be forewarned.

We were three persons; my wife, I and a friend from abroad.
We wanted some privacy for my friend, and fortunately, he stayed in a spare room with a single bed. We had the main room(living room/dining space?)which was not big enough for a double bed, a small round garden table and two chairs, and included a flat screen TV and
a DVD player. Aside from an old dresser and a couple odd night tables, there was no extra
furniture in the room.
Lighting was dim and some light bulbs burned. The floor was wood planks and had an old rug. A small closet was near the entry door. There was no space for baggage except if you placed it inside the closet.
The location of this room, number 203, was at the back of the inn, facing a brick wall, with
scarce natural light. There were three windows, two in the main room and another from the kitchenette. They had old mini blinds which did not work well. The kitchenette, a wasted space, had a small refrigerator, a microwave, a sink and a gas stove. Some plates and dishes were provided, none of them matched and insufficient for three people.
All the appliances were old and dirty and the fridge was very noisy. It stopped working the second day. Thus, water from the freezer accumulated down and overflowed to the floor.
The small bedroom had a window, also facing the same brick wall. It was small but my friend was OK with it. Also had a closet, where extra pillows and bedding were stored.

There was an air conditioning unit in the main room, disconnected and looked pretty bad.
We did not use it, fortunately, as the nights were cool at this time. probably the noise would have impeded us sleeping.

The way to the bathroom was through this room, and there was no privacy for us or my friend when using the facilities. It was a very small room, as opposed as the claim of a
jacuzzi type of tub, with a very small bathtub, which seem had not been fixed or caulked
ever. The shower curtain was loose on the end and could not be fixed. Fortunately, there was enough cold and hot water.
The sink faucet leaked, and was difficult to close.The towels smelled as if they were not properly dried, and were a mismatch of colors. At first, only two sets were given until I complained twice, and the manager had to give them to me from another room!
There were few hangers for the towels, and they were loose. The door never shut, and a
hot uninsulated pipe went through the corner, making the small room( 4 feet 6 inches square) very uncomfortable at times.
The apartment door had no security latch, and at times, it would not lock properly or we found it open after we returned to our room...
The floor was slanted, as it was an old building, which at a time, was transformed into one room apartments, for rent. But to offer it now as a three person "suite' is a joke!

We had advised management--supposedly new--of our arrival several times by email and
assured us somebody would be there to greet us. But, no one was there!
I had to call a phone left out, and given instructions on how to enter the building and find
our keys. Fortunately, it was before 7 pm., and lighted. But we were tired and upset!

A small continental breakfast was delivered each morning to our room, and it was acceptable. Except, some days it came only for two people, when we were three.
We had to tell the manager--who came sporadically to the front office--every day of our breakfast, instead of having a printed list to fill in and leave for the service to bring. Many times our requests were misunderstood. Fortunately, the couple who worked the kitchen, were kind and helpful.

Cleaning consisted of making the beds and washing the dishes we used for breakfast.
We did not cook or anything else, as we were out most of the time. In any case, if the fridge did not work, it was useless to buy fresh food that would spoil!
Towels were generally changed daily, sometimes every two days. Dust and old stuff was found on the floor and never picked up. We were so upset we decided not to complain, as it would have been useless, because the manager seemed more interested in wasting time talking to guests than fixing things.

Location was said to be "close" to the subway station, but it was 7 or 8 blocks away. It took
us a 20 minutes walk or more to get there. The only good thing about this, was the neighborhood, safe and full of nice affordable restaurants and young families and boutiques.

In summary, we had a five day stay without mayor incidents, except the inconveniences noted. This place was very dirty in general and offered no internet, unless one brought its own laptop. It has a small elevator, and it seems more oriented toward long-stay apartment living which can use the limited facilities offered. The price was somewhat cheaper than a regular hotel but not that much different for what was offered, except if 4 or more people would 'cramp up' to avoid higher costs renting two rooms in a nice downtown hotel...
Maybe families with children and pets for a weekend could stand the condition of the place. I would not recommend it for a longer stay nor I will return to this place! We were fortunate no rats or roaches were found...
Finally, regarding entrance security, after 8 pm., no one was available for help or anything else, and the front door had no self-latching mechanism, but a simple push-button lock. This made it an 'honor' system, for residents to make sure it was locked before one left the building...

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HerbTraveler
Northport, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2009

Am being handled with very poor customer service about a straightforward dispute over a reservation cancellation. I cancelled the reservation well over the required 7-day notice--the manager at the time (who is no longer working there) obviously made a mistake, and the new management is refusing to acknowledge this error and give me credit.

• Stayed April 2009
1 Thank stvns_nn
Boston
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2009

The Gracie Inn was perfectly located for a family wedding in the Upper East Side. We had stayed there once before in 2007, so we knew we weren't in for a luxury experience, but the price was right and we booked a room again for this trip. The Inn has deteriorated considerably in the past few years. Walls are dingy, stained, and peeling. Ceilings are bubbling with water damage. Some windows don't close all the way. The rooms are not well-cleaned: crumbs on table from previous guest, dust and grime at perimeter of bathroom, moldy shower curtain, etc. The safe in the room was missing its key and the front desk just handed me a fistful of keys to check if any of them worked--they didn't. The door to our room barely worked and it took several hard pulls to get OUT, which I found to be a little unsettling in case of fire or other emergency. The sheets were OK but the towels are clearly not getting washed in hot water--they stink horribly after getting wet. I ended up using paper towels from the kitchen to dry my hands and face so at least those parts of my body wouldn't stink, too! Our last morning I went into the bathroom to collect my things and discovered a yellow-brown liquid leaking from the ceiling above. Yuck. Also the elevator was broken and we ended up hauling two heavy suitcases down from the fourth floor. The front desk staff is very friendly, but friendliness can't fix this poor hotel in need of a major re-do.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RozzieLEM
Rio de Janeiro
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2009

I've just arrived from this hotel and it was a wonderful experience, much different than last year. The new manager, Daniel, the employee such as Miguel, are very good people, friendly, and make sure that everything goes right and in a pleasant way. The rooms are now clean, breakfast comes on time,the kitchen is complete, good bath and good bed, and linen. I loved it and recommend strongly the staying there.Everything works and, besides, the neighbourhood is very good.

Thanks, Daniel and Miguel