“Excellent location and felt safe!”
Review of Central Park Inn

Central Park Inn
Sheffield
“Excellent location and felt safe!”
Reviewed 3 June 2010

I stayed her in August 2006 after spending the summer doing Camp America so I was alone travelling through New York before heading home. This was the 2nd hostel i'd booked as the first had awful reviews on here and i'd definitely go back to Central Park Hostel if i was ever in the area again.

The location of the hostel was excellent and easy to find the staff are great and are able to provide you with all the information you need. The hostel itself was very busy at the time and I stayed in a mixed dormitory on one of the higher floors. I stayed for 3 nights and felt safe throughout (I was 18 and travelling alone!) I had a decent nights kip except on one of the nights when about 4 people from my dormitory came in, in the early hours and insisted on turning the light on but i guess you have to expect the unexpected when sharing a room with 9 others!

• Stayed August 2007, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 30 May 2010

I can't rave enough about the Central Park Hostel. My twin brother and I have stayed here several times during our visits to NYC and plan on doing so in the future! This place has the most proactive and friendly staff. They are funny and really cater to what your needs are. Not only that, but this place is clean, fun, and safe. The downstairs lobby has wifi and is very spacious down there with pool tables, couches, etc. They also hold your belongings the same day you check out until 10pm, which I found SO convenient when taking our last day to enjoy and stroll around the city. You don't have to carry your luggage around! The hostel is located right next to Central Park and there is a subway station steps away from the door. Very convenient!! I give CPH a rave review and when you stay, you will see why! Perfect for low budget traveling and sight-seeing!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
Toronto
Reviewed 16 May 2010

We booked a twin double apartment at this hostel in December and were extremely happy with our experience.

The location is fantastic. You are right next to the subway and get to experience NYC life outside of the touristy areas (also anyone who claims this place is in a "bad area" must live in under a rock). Please take the time to talk around and check out some of the diners nearby.

The hostel itself was in good condition. The person at the front was friendly and efficient and was able to give us some ideas on where we could go grab a bite to eat at 10pm! The apartment room was on the (3rd floor I think?) and was much bigger than we anticipated. It had two double beds and a private bathroom (along with a kitchenette and TV). Everything was clean and the bathroom was new and really great...

The only negative was that the beds were quite hard, and the noise level at times was a bit high... but as others have noted, because of the price for NYC (and nature of a hostel) this is completely understandable and totally tolerable!

We loved our stay and have already booked a return trip this July!

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
Kingston, Canada
Reviewed 8 May 2010

I would stay again and I am recommending this place to everyone. It is clean, safe secure, the location is awsome. close to central park and the subway, the staff are friendly and helpfull and it is in a real new york neighbourhood. The price is unbeatable. I cant say enough good things about this place. the staff told us NYC is trying to close down the hostels, that would be a shame. Im so happy we stayed there and plan to come every year if i can.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
gorgeousgussie
Reviewed 24 March 2010

I had booked a week in the explorers house hostel which got cancelled on me, so I spent the week moving from place to place this hostel was my last night in New York , and I feel I chose well. They were friendly and helpful , I turned up early and they let me put my luggage in the store room no bother, the room I was in was clean and I was blessed to have it to myself til one other girl came in. After having stayed up in Harlem and Washington Heights and Queens, I did not find this area to be scary at All! Anyway the basement area was large and comfortable with a few tv s to watch, loads of kids with their laptops on the wifi, never seen so many in one place apart from the NEw York public library! and overall in this hostel I felt safe to be honest. It was clean the showers worked and were in good nick, there was plenty of room to hang out if you wished and also right by the subway so you could be in the thick of it in five minutes. Also they let me leave my bag til leaving for my flight which was late at night. Really great thank you for making my last day and night so good

• Stayed March 2010, travelled solo
BRASILIA
Reviewed 14 March 2010

I booked a room with a bathroom, they sent me an e-mail saying the price was the same but there was no bathroom in my room. Since I did not read this e-mail I said I`d pay for a night and leave at that moment. They charged me for the hole time forcing me to stay. But I could not stay fot the hole time cause the hostel was dirty, the toilet was dirty all the time, there were people walking almost naked on the walls, people used to knock the bathroom door while I was using it and I don`t wanna talk about the smell or the night noises.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these New York City hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2010

After travellng extensively for weeks beforehand, this wasn't the worst place we stayed in (was on par with other generic hostels in Europe), but certainly wasn't the greatest. I wasn't pleasantly surprised by anything, that is to say: it was exactly what you might expect of a comparatively affordable, non-affiliated hostel on the slightly wrong side of town.

That said, the twin room we stayed in was more than adequate. In another city I might have been disappointed by the slightly seedy nature of the place, but it's New York, and I'm looking for a cheap bed, not much else. That's basically what I got.

The specifics:
Good: Free Wi-fi. Large communal fridge-space. TV in common area. Accessible to stations, amenities, park etc.
Bad: value for money, not very secure, unprofessional (could be seen positively as casual?), no elevator (stairs only).

Bed: The beds were in bad shape, saggy etc, but still comfortable enough for a weary traveller, and as of my stay no bedbugs. The beds were made when we arrived, sheets seemed clean (although not very well fitted) and there was an ample supply of blankets (given it was summer, I'd hope they'd provide better for winter, however.)

Room: The twin room was quite spacious, although being next to the bathroom it was a bit noisy with banging pipes and people showering etc. Also, with dorms/private rooms side-by-side and thin walls, it can get pretty loud at times (this didn't worry us at all, if it keeps you awake, wear earplugs. Hostels are loud, I wouldn't put that as a complaint, just an observation.). The air-con was old, but reliable. The windows did not have proper curtains, and looked out onto an alleyway (again, New York, I'm broke, can't complain.) There was a desk, and storage and hanging space, which was very useful, but no lockers (still, private room). Cleaning took place daily, but not if sign placed on door (nice respect for space that some other places don't observe).

The bathroom was functional, but included both shower and toilet, and there could have been more (a challenge first thing in morning!). There was also a women-only bathroom on our floor, which was more accessible, that I quite appreciated (was cleaner, and had hair-dryer etc as well).
The common area felt a bit like a saloon - especially with vending machines and bar - but was just a bit run-down, not really that bad. Seemed to get a bit rowdy at night, and possible that people just dropped in from the local area at times.
The pay phones did not work!

Service:
Meh. It wasn't bad, it wasn't great. The people seemed friendly and competent, but I feel like maybe I wouldn't want to have a run-in with a few of them (a positive thing if you want them to keep others in line, I suppose.).
While they didn't pay as much attention to security, they also didn't pry into our comings and goings, which some other hostels sometimes do. We had no hassles with payment, or access etc, and didn't feel unwelcome in any way.

Generally:

The whole place had an interesting atmosphere, somewhere between orphanage, tenement and college dorm. There was a lot of chaos, a lot of random bodies, and the sense of a lot going on underneath as well. I don't know whether it's the neighbourhood, the casual atmosphere, or maybe the large number of locals who seem to frequent the place, but it often seemed like there were many people doing things unsupervised (hanging out on fire escapes, convening church meetings, giving away free pizza...).

If you don't mind the chaos, and you're sensible enough to keep track of your personal belongings and not go wandering around late at night on your own (girls especially), then this is a perfectly good place to stay. If you're an individual or a small group wanting to share a dorm, I'd probably look elsewhere (some really odd people staying there).

If I could have booked the HI hostel a couple of blocks over, I would have. I wouldn't stay here again unless I needed to book last-minute, but I have good memories of my stay, and no lasting negatives.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple