“Bad Odor But Good Customer Service”
Review of Central Park Inn

Central Park Inn
Reviewed 24 June 2010

My stay at the Hostel was ok. The Beds were clean,a good A/C and T.V. When you walk in there is a bad odor but the clean rooms make up for it.The morning staff were very rude,like they didn't have no care to help me at all.The night staff however made my stay a better experience.Andre was very helpful,friendly,and he even carried my luggage upstairs!! Junior was also very nice and helpful. I can see myself returning back just because of them.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo

Reviewed 17 June 2010

Nice, big rooms, cheap price for only sharing with one other (I'm more accustomed to being in big dorm rooms with 4-12 others). Good for the UWS. Really nice staff, and the atmosphere was safe and friendly. The water in the shower never got hot, though.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank TrixyeV
Reviewed 15 June 2010

I had the Twin Double Studio Apartment and it is excellent: all brand new and clean, it is one room with two queen beds, so not very large, the bathroomi s all new with a large shower. In the room there is tv and air-conditioning (a bit noisy), free wi-fi. The small kitchen in the room has a fridge, a sink and microwave. For cooking you can use the stove in the common kitchen area on the same floor. In the basement there is a large and confortable lounge with tables, sofa etc. for having your own breackfast and lunches. HThe hostel is safe and staff is nice. You have to pay only cash or travel cheques, but there is an ATM inside. It is just 50 mt. from the subway "103rd street" (but only local trains stop there) and just in front of Central Park. Few bus stations from the famous Apollo Theatre in Harlem (do not miss the amateur night every wednesday!).
May be it is a bit far if you plan to go downtown every night (trip by train takes about 30'), so I would recommend especially for families that do not plan to go out every nights.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 June 2010

Booked for 7 nights and tried to check out after 1, but due to policies we could not get a refund, the area is horrible, nothing to do, nothing to see and the locals were intimidating and hostile, the only positives about this hostel is that there was air conditioning, it is a short walk from central park and there is a metro station at the end of the street. which is not a popular station, meaning you must wait a while between trains. If you are after a social hostel DO NOT stay here, we found everyone including the majority of employees to be rude and unhelpfull, there was one lady behind the counter i found to be hospitable and helpful.
i also found security poor and im pretty sure this place doubles as a halfway house.
we will never stay here again and i will make a point of people NOT staying here on their trips to NYC.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2010

I've just had a 4 night stay at the Central Park Hostel with a friend. We loved it here. We are in our mid 40's and I was a bit worried we would feel out of place in a hostel, but this wasn't the case at all. We booked a twin apartment, which was comfortable & quiet (although it's on the 4th floor with no lift so you need to be able to carry your bags up & down). The neighbourhood felt safe & was interesting - much more like the 'real New York' than staying in a downtown hotel. It was also very convenient, with a nearby subway & some great places to eat within easy walking distance. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 3 June 2010

I stayed her in August 2006 after spending the summer doing Camp America so I was alone travelling through New York before heading home. This was the 2nd hostel i'd booked as the first had awful reviews on here and i'd definitely go back to Central Park Hostel if i was ever in the area again.

The location of the hostel was excellent and easy to find the staff are great and are able to provide you with all the information you need. The hostel itself was very busy at the time and I stayed in a mixed dormitory on one of the higher floors. I stayed for 3 nights and felt safe throughout (I was 18 and travelling alone!) I had a decent nights kip except on one of the nights when about 4 people from my dormitory came in, in the early hours and insisted on turning the light on but i guess you have to expect the unexpected when sharing a room with 9 others!

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 May 2010

I can't rave enough about the Central Park Hostel. My twin brother and I have stayed here several times during our visits to NYC and plan on doing so in the future! This place has the most proactive and friendly staff. They are funny and really cater to what your needs are. Not only that, but this place is clean, fun, and safe. The downstairs lobby has wifi and is very spacious down there with pool tables, couches, etc. They also hold your belongings the same day you check out until 10pm, which I found SO convenient when taking our last day to enjoy and stroll around the city. You don't have to carry your luggage around! The hostel is located right next to Central Park and there is a subway station steps away from the door. Very convenient!! I give CPH a rave review and when you stay, you will see why! Perfect for low budget traveling and sight-seeing!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends