“Not great”
Review of Central Park Inn

Central Park Inn
Reviewed 10 December 2010

Its small, not the cleanest place ive been in. Theres not enough bathrooms.
Staff were not that friendly.
Good location in proximity to Central park, thats about it.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Solowanderer2010

Reviewed 30 November 2010

After reading many hostel reviews in New York, I decided to choose Central Park Hostel, and I am very pleased with the decision. Only a minute walk from the subway station, the area can get a little bit noisy at night and I am not a easy sleeper myself however it was perfectly fine to sleep through. Staff were extremely friendly and offered a lot of directions and helped with booking reliable airport transportation. I payed for a private room with a shared bathroom and was very suprised with the bedroom, it was extremely clean and the beds were made daily and also we were given fresh towels each day. The showers were clean and there is a seperate bathroom for women. I was a bit anxious after reading reviews about 'intimidating neighbours', however we often came back on the subway (two young girls) at 1 am which felt safe because as soon as you departed the subway station, the hostel was in sight. There only seemed to be a few odd characters around the neighbourhood, as another person mentioned, they were very harmless.

One concern I do have about this hostel is the fact that they don't ask to see a room key before you enter the rooms, and as a result one morning we woke to find a homeless man sleeping in the kitchen. However the next few days each time we entered the property we were asked to show our room cards, so I guess it depends on the staff's individual 'rules'. All in all, I would HIGHLY reccommend this hostel to all age groups, the hostel itself was very quiet, great staff, good price, great location, CLEAN.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jasmin2010186525
Reviewed 10 November 2010

The staff is very friendly. I wanted to experience The Big Apple and I don't need to stay in a fancy place with room service or an elevator. There are quite some interesting neighbors in the area. For the average sheltered suburbanite - they might feel threatened but these "neighbors" are absolutely harmless - they are just loud :D. If you turn right by the street there you can find some cheap but good grub - from Spanish to Chinese food. I love the mini Grocery across the street - I get my .35c banana before I do my day trips in The City. The B and C train are just a few meters away - even though it's at the Upper West, you can get to pretty much everywhere in The City. I need to a clean place to sleep that is cheap - and this place works for me. The only constructive feedback is - my bed was a little lumpy and it probably needed a new mattress. But good bargain, nice staff, close to the C,B and A line, clean and comfortable. Thank you Central Park Hostel.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Wanderfool_me
Reviewed 7 November 2010

During an extended stay spending a considerable amount of money, something happened to the lock in my room and I was locked out. The staff were reluctant to call for help and began getting in my face when I asked what was going on, they call someone who could fix it. So i had to go cower away in my T shirt & towel afraid to ask them what to anticipate. On the upside: no bedbugs and great location.

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed 25 October 2010

Conveniently located a block away from the subway, the A, C and E-line, Central Park Hostel is a cheap alternative to staying in a hotel. If you are just looking for a place to spend the night, this is perfect! The rooms are very simple, you share them with another person, but all you really need, is a bed. The hostel provides linens, but you have to bring your own towel. There are lockers available for your personal items, and bags are safe in the room. Cheap stay in the City that never sleeps!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 October 2010

I was very pleased with Central Park Hostel. It is situated in 103rd street.
PLEASE NOTE: if you see 'bus guides' outside JFK Airport trying to get you to get 'their' bus (which is not a scheduled bus by the way),as its is cheaper than a taxi, well this type of 'bus' doesn't go to 103rd Street, eventhough I asked the ticket guy, as I found out, I was dumped at 80th street and had to get a taxi in the end so it WAS NOT cheaper to do it this way! On my way back to the airport, it is a good idea to to go 90th street by train, from 103rd Street,and then the number 80 bus to the airport.

Also, the Central Park Hostel does not have money changing facilities and the post office on 100 st does not either, BUT there is a good hostel across the street to the hostel on 100st street and they ARE able to do monecy exchange.

The actual Central Park Hostel is great, the staff are friendly and helpful and it was well worth the money. It does not provide breakfast, but there is a newsagent across the street for you to buy cereals etc and there are fridges and TV and a comfy sofa in the dining area at the hostel for you to keep your food in. Internet access is available there too. There is also money lockers for security, but you need to either bring a lock with you, or they sell them in the newsagent across the street, so I felt really safe there and would recommend it to everyone. The bathrooms are great value for money also, eventhough some showerfloors seem a bit 'grotty' but that did not worry me, as long as you can wash with warm water and have a warm bed, for e cheap price in NEW YORK CITY MANHATTAN,what more do you need?

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 October 2010

I stayed here from Sep 26-Oct 1, 5 nights, in a basic 2 bed mixed dorm/room-shared bathroom. Check-in-The front desk staff was somewhat condescending about providing information about my accommodations. I was given room 306, which turned out to be one of the smallest and noisiest rooms. It is almost directly above the front entrance and faces the street. Late or night or early in the morning, I would be disturbed by people talking, very loud arguments, car alarms and garbage trucks. Small room-There is approx. 4 feet separating my bed from the other bed. I’m a light sleeper, so I’m quite sensitive to a lot of noise preventing me from getting to sleep. I could hear people doing a lot of walking (their heels) above me. I thought this was strange if they had a room the same size as mine! The air conditioner in the room worked well. My room had a stack of 5 really small lockers bolted in place. It’s a room for 2 people, why not have 2 medium sized lockers that can hold a laptop computer and more? The little lockers were not adequate for much (passport, wallet, small camera, not my laptop!!). The single beds (smaller than standard single beds) were adequate. I had no issues with theft.

The kitchen is in the basement, so I had to go up and down 4 flights of stairs constantly. The only people that had it worse were the people on the 4th floor. Bathrooms-There are 3 bathrooms on each floor for approx 12 rooms of 2 people each or 24 people, yet 1 bathroom is woman-only. Since woman use the co-ed bathrooms, but men can’t use the woman-only bathroom, this is not appropriate. The women have access to more bathrooms than the men. All 3 bathrooms should be available to everyone. The bathrooms were generally clean, although the showers were better in some bathrooms than others. Despite the people to bathroom ratio, I only had to wait for a bathroom twice (I got up between 9-930am), and the second time, since I was checking out, found a available bathroom on the first floor (with a crappy shower). The kitchen area was lacking in metal cutlery, drinking glasses and coffee mugs. When I arrived there were 3 mugs, midway into my stay, people took them to their rooms and didn’t return them. There were 3 TVs in the basement, 2 with digital cable receivers. They were adequate. Unsecure Wi-Fi internet access was in the lobby & basement. The Wi-Fi access speed was fine, but the security should have been WPA or WPA2. There are 3 computers in the basement for internet access, 20 min for $10US I think. It’s easy to meet fellow travelers in the basement. Check-out was quick & smooth. The hostel is on a hill, 1 block from the B/C subway lines. There is a medium-sized grocery store 3 streets South down Manhattan St. and 1 street East on 100th. Across the street from the hostel and at Manhattan & 100th is a little grocery store where you can get hot food. The area around the hostel seems to be frequented by Hispanic businesses and is safe.
On one night, the bed next to mine was vacant. The next night (following morning, 5am) the staff assigned the vacant bed to a Russian couple. They woke me up at 5 when they brought in their luggage, then to take out stuff to shower, then later a laptop to find other accommodations. The couple screwed up, thinking they would pay the single person fee for 2 people, so they didn’t pay and left at 10am. Why did the staff give the other bed in my room to 2 people, causing me to lose sleep for nothing? This was a bad decision on the staff’s part. I’ve been in third world countries, seen some awful living conditions and stayed at some crappy hotels. I rate this hotel as average for it’s class of hotel and price.
Summary: I would have had a more restful stay here if I was given a less noisy room on one side, facing away from 103rd street. Room lockers were too small for me. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo