“Great value for your money!”
Review of Central Park Inn

Central Park Inn
Reviewed 4 February 2011

14 July 2010 we went for 7 days to the big apple. We were with 3 students. 2 of 18 years and 1 of 19. We were looking for a cheap hotel/hostel. This one was one of the cheapest and we wanted a private room. After we mailed the hostel if we could check in at the age of 18, we decided to go for it.

We came by plane from the Netherlands and landed on EWR (Newark) in new jersey. We took the NJ Transit to penn station and from there to the 103st by metro. It was really easy to find and the hostel is really close to the station.

We came in for the first time and the entrance looked a bit old fashioned. There was a man at the desk and we gave him our reservation and paid the whole stay. he gave us our key. We slept on the first floor. We went inside the room and it looked really good. There were two queen size beds and a bathroom with a shower. Also there was a small kitchen with a microwave and sink. Also the room had airco although it was a bit noisy at night so we turned it very low before we went to bed.

Overall the service was great. At night there was a guard in frond of the door so strange people couldn't get in. Also there were lockers but don't forget to bring your own lock. And everyday the room was cleaned. So that was really good.

The hostel 150meters away from central park and Times square is about 30 minutes away by metro so everything is very close and easy to find. At the other side of the street is a little supermarket were you can buy your breakfast.

If you go by metro to the hostel be careful that you don't take the express metro because it does not stop at 103 st!

For a budget I really recommend the hostel! I had a great time and I will definitely go back if I'm in New York.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank Jasper91

Reviewed 30 January 2011

You guys are awesome. Your service was absolutely brilliant. Of the hostels we stayed in in the States over the last month, yours was absolutely the best. The room was great. The hostel was spotless. The staff all helpful, (despite us being such klutzes - I changed the booking twice, my luggage got lost at the airport and you guys held a spot for my bag should it eventually arrive while I was travelling, my friend left his shoes behind....sigh) but you guys were helpful, tolerant of our hopelessness, and generally, just brilliant. Your cleaners deserve a medal - the place was so clean it squeaked. The room was tidy, clean and the bed was comfy. We love you, Central Park Hostel. How else can we let other people know about how just good you guys are? Robyn, New Zealand

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robyn M
Reviewed 2 January 2011

This hostel is a block from central park and less than a block to the subway. Parking was easy to find even in new years eve. Bathrooms are clean and the shower is nice and warm. It also had the cheapest prices around the city.

• Stayed: January 2011
Reviewed 22 December 2010

The hostel was right next to Central Park (uptown Central Park West) so it was in a reasonably good location. The rooms were on the small side - but the sheets and towels were changed daily and the heating was really good. Staff were reasonably helpful. The WiFi only works in the basement.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 December 2010

Its small, not the cleanest place ive been in. Theres not enough bathrooms.
Staff were not that friendly.
Good location in proximity to Central park, thats about it.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Solowanderer2010
Reviewed 30 November 2010

After reading many hostel reviews in New York, I decided to choose Central Park Hostel, and I am very pleased with the decision. Only a minute walk from the subway station, the area can get a little bit noisy at night and I am not a easy sleeper myself however it was perfectly fine to sleep through. Staff were extremely friendly and offered a lot of directions and helped with booking reliable airport transportation. I payed for a private room with a shared bathroom and was very suprised with the bedroom, it was extremely clean and the beds were made daily and also we were given fresh towels each day. The showers were clean and there is a seperate bathroom for women. I was a bit anxious after reading reviews about 'intimidating neighbours', however we often came back on the subway (two young girls) at 1 am which felt safe because as soon as you departed the subway station, the hostel was in sight. There only seemed to be a few odd characters around the neighbourhood, as another person mentioned, they were very harmless.

One concern I do have about this hostel is the fact that they don't ask to see a room key before you enter the rooms, and as a result one morning we woke to find a homeless man sleeping in the kitchen. However the next few days each time we entered the property we were asked to show our room cards, so I guess it depends on the staff's individual 'rules'. All in all, I would HIGHLY reccommend this hostel to all age groups, the hostel itself was very quiet, great staff, good price, great location, CLEAN.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jasmin2010186525
Reviewed 10 November 2010

The staff is very friendly. I wanted to experience The Big Apple and I don't need to stay in a fancy place with room service or an elevator. There are quite some interesting neighbors in the area. For the average sheltered suburbanite - they might feel threatened but these "neighbors" are absolutely harmless - they are just loud :D. If you turn right by the street there you can find some cheap but good grub - from Spanish to Chinese food. I love the mini Grocery across the street - I get my .35c banana before I do my day trips in The City. The B and C train are just a few meters away - even though it's at the Upper West, you can get to pretty much everywhere in The City. I need to a clean place to sleep that is cheap - and this place works for me. The only constructive feedback is - my bed was a little lumpy and it probably needed a new mattress. But good bargain, nice staff, close to the C,B and A line, clean and comfortable. Thank you Central Park Hostel.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo