“Excellent in every respect”
Review of Chelsea Pines Inn

Chelsea Pines Inn
Ranked #44 of 467 Hotels in New York City
London
“Excellent in every respect”
Reviewed 31 August 2011

I was only in NY for 2 nights and this was the perfect place for me. Central, clean, good value and they could not have been more helpful or friendly. Breakfast was a treat; wifi plentiful and functional; and their recommendations of places to eat and visit were spot on.

Every town needs a Chelsea Pines Inn. I can't wait to return

Room Tip: Book on-line - or just call Jay
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Crossbill

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Wisconsin
Reviewed 29 August 2011

We just returned ahead of Hurrican Irene from a 4 night stay at this Inn. I must say this has been our Best Stay in my last 4 trips to NYC. The Staff and owners are the best!!! Want a clean place to stay this is it, Want a great continental breakfast? this is the place, Want service with a smile and respect? this is the place, Want help with Dinner, Tickets, Subway Instructions,,,and on an on this is the place. This is our Home away from home from now on in NYC....Thanks Jay and the Staff!!!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank sbinsun
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 26 August 2011

After literally leaving another hotel because of how rude the manager was (e.g. asking me why I was showing up so late, telling me they didn't have any rooms, denying I had a reservation even though I showed him the confirmation on my phone) I was stranded and needed to find a place to stay for the night.

I looked up hotels in the area and after seeing great reviews decided to give the Chelsea Pines Inn a call. As luck would have it, they had a cancellation and had one room open. Fearing having to find a comfortable park bench to call home for the night, I jumped on the opportunity and said "I'll take it."

You have no idea how nice it was to be warmly greeted by Jay, the hotel's owner, after the horrible experience I had just gone through in the other hotel. Jay was super friendly, gave me the rundown on the nice late check-out and their complimentary do-it-yourself breakfast bar (which was fantastic). Through his helpfulness and hospitality, he pretty much turned one of my worst nights in NY into one of the best.

After talking to Jay for a bit, I headed off to bed. When I got into the room, everything was super clean and and the beds were very comfortable. I enjoyed that the rooms are named after old Hollywood actors and actresses and are even decorated with old movie posters.

I had a great night's sleep, and in the morning, after having breakfast, Jay went out of his way to give me some recommendations on good restaurants and things to see in the area, and even helped me buy some Broadway tickets.

As the title of the review says, this was by far one of the best hotel experience of my life. I look forward to coming back to the Chelsea Pines Inn and recommending it to any friends or family members visiting NYC.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank OBark
Belchertown, Massachusetts
Reviewed 24 August 2011

Whenever we go to NYC--usually three times a year--we stay at Chelsea Pines Inn. It's location, location, location! We're near all the subways we need to get up to the shows AND in the area of the City that feels to us like a small town. So many restaurants accessible with an easy walk! Rooms are super clean and well-appointed with a wonderful, friendly staff with an eye to detail and service. We've never hesitated to recommendt the Inn to any of our friends who are going to NYC.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jeff C
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 23 August 2011

Loved the Chelsea Pines Inn. Fantastic location with easy subway access, and a vibrant local neighbourhood surrounded by great dining and shopping options and neighbourhood bars. Owner and staff are extremely professional and helpful with restaurant/bar recommendations, arranging transfers etc. Social events in the common areas provide a great opportunity to meet and mingle with other guests if you so choose. The Hollywood kitch throughout only enhances the charm. We'll be back. Just keep in mind, there's no lift in the building.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank XtianB
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 22 August 2011

First of all, this place has an outstanding location -- steps from Meatpacking District, West Village and Chelsea. It's clean and relatively friendly. But definitely not the kind experience that warrants all these rave reviews. Service at the front desk was competent, but none of the employees I came in contact with made any effort to provide "above and beyond" the basics. Room was tiny, even by NYC standards. I had a first floor room that had cardboard filling in the space around the window air conditioner. (So much for security.) Bathroom was cramped. And overall, the decor was dated and felt like it had gone through a string of "home makeovers." Yes, rates were pretty cheap, but I honestly expected a bit more for the money. I've stayed in many NYC hotels, and this one (even with the low rates) isn't anywhere near the top of the heap. I honestly question all the "1 review" TripAdvisor entries ... something feels fishy. This definitely isn't one of the top 10 hotel experiences in the city of New York!

Room Tip: Don't stay on the first floor. You'll hear everyone else enjoying the breakfast room.
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
12 Thank JoeFoodie
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 19 August 2011

Spent 3 nights here. Have stayed in other areas of town before, but the Chelsea neighborhood has such a great local feel. Jay and all the staff are very helpful and friendly, and make you feel right at home. The morning continental breakfast was wonderful.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo