2,299 results
All reviews the high line no elevator movie posters greenwich village meatpacking district rock hudson bagels new york movie stars flights of stairs every morning fifth floor subway station fresh fruit the breakfast area location is great continental breakfast
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Jay and Al run a wonderful B&B at the edge of the trendy Meatpacking District.

The Rooms
Every room has a movie star name on the door and you will find lovely equiped room, displaying movie posters from throughout the artist's career. You will even feel like a movie star using the public toilet, which is also a spacious changing room in the theme of Humprey Bogart

The Service
A B&B typically does not come with stars, but this one would qualify for 5 star service. Restaurant reservations, driver services, a walking tour with non-mainstream shops/boutiques in the neighborhood, and a daily newsletter with things to do THAT in New York

The Location
Chelsea Pines is located on 14th between 8th and 9th. It is directly next to the Meatpacking District and The Village, and easy to reach by subway. 14th Street is a subway stop for all (including express) subway trains, so you can travel through the city very fast.

Date of stay: December 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank SirH
Reviewed 5 March 2012

I recently spent 6 nights at the Chelsea Pines Inn. Before I went, I was a little worried about the lack of an elevator. However, they promised to carry my bags up and down the stairs and the location and price were great so I decided to give it a try. Now I wouldn't hesitate to return. I've never encountered a more delightful staff anywhere. Everyone, from the desk clerks to the maintenance guy, was friendly and helpful. My room was small (this is NYC, after all) but immaculate; the bathroom was perfect and the bed linens were superb. And the breakfast spread was simply amazing.

• Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank fieldenb
Reviewed 5 March 2012

I had stayed at CPI before back in the late 90's and enjoyed it's sort of laid back urban charm. It was no 5 star property, but for the price and location I remembered it as being a real bargain given it's great location.
What a very pleasant surprise to find this small hotel transformed into a very modern and stylish urban abode! There were so many nice little touches like the wall mounted flat screen TV's, the wonderful assortment of bath amenities from Gilchrist & Soames,
the iPod docking stations to charge my iPhone and the great (and free!) high speed wireless internet throughout the hotel.
I was there on business to conduct some interviews, but had time to spend with friends too as well as wander around this amazing city on my own some. For all these things the location couldn't have been more ideal. It's right off the ACE line and every place I needed to be was really just minutes away...including my friends in Wiiliamsburg (talk about a transformation)!
The staff is very friendly and helpful. I was delighted each afternoon upon returning to my room from my day's outings to find that the Housekeeping staff had put my room back into the immaculate state it was in when I arrived. (No small feat as my room was not that large and I'm not the tidiest traveler)!
I can't recommend this place enough. For the price you won't find a sweeter place to stay.

Room tip: If stairs are a hinderance for you, request a room on one of the lower floors. (I booked sort of late in the game and didn't have a choice -5th floor- but the housekeeping staff grabbed my bags and hauled them up for me without even asking them to. Again the staff is GREAT!)
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank 3DHI
Reviewed 28 February 2012

I've stayed at Chelsea Pines since 2000, and I keep coming back. I think it's unique in its approach to hospitality in New York: a five-story brownstone that has been transformed into a chic boutique bed & breakfast. The accommodations have gone upscale immensely in the years I've stayed there (gorgeous bathroom fixtures and beautiful furnishings throughout), but the prices remain reasonable. Having breakfast provided in the kitchen/cafe (including outdoor space in warm weather) is a boon: it gets you started right for your day in the city, and chatting with other guests (if you like) adds to the friendly atmosphere. The staff is top-notch: friendly, helpful, and professional. If you need advice about Broadway tickets, they're right there. If you need assistance with navigating the subway system, they'll provide it. I'll keep coming back as long as they'll have me.

Room tip: It's a 5-floor walkup, so decide whether you want a lower or higher floor.
Date of stay: January 2012
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank dgchgo
Reviewed 26 February 2012

We stayed here one night. We had a lovely time. The management gave us a free upgrade! THANKS!!!!! Extremely clean, rooms a bit on the small side, but since we were on a budget & just the two of us, it was plenty comfy cozy. NO BED BUGS (we checked). The room is fully appointed. There was a white noise machine (which was great!), a small fridge, a closet with a safe, hangers, iron, small ironing board, smallish TV with the basic channels (I think), a writing desk, chair and last but not the least - an alarm clock with an iPhone dock. The toilet is separate from the bath area (awesome idea!). The bath soaps, shampoo etc were top of the line. It is LGBT friendly and I loved the atmosphere. The breakfast spread was great (fresh corn bread anyone?). Upon check in we were provided with a list of places to eat. We went to their recommended restaurant called Bill's Burgers a quick walk away. Great food. It was central to many bars, a CVS is around the corner and a Duane Reade a few blocks away. When we got back that night, their very friendly cat Charlie accompanied us to our room :) The next morning, we headed to the High Line for a walk before check out. All in all, an awesome, stress free, romantic stay for tired parents of toddlers :) Highly recommended.

• Trip type: Travelled as a couple