Chelsea Pines Inn
The New Yorker A Wyndham Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$371
US$343
  • Room Service
Room Mate Grace(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$199
US$195
  • Pool
The Lucerne Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$367
US$251
  • Restaurant
YOTEL New York(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$226
US$188
  • Restaurant
Kimpton Muse Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$284
  • Restaurant
The Kimberly Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$322
US$308
Travelocity
US$291
  • Pool
US$309
  • Breakfast included
  • Fitness centre
Stewart Hotel(New York City)(Great Value!)
US$246
US$211
Travelocity
US$472
Hotelpower.com
  • Breakfast included
2,220 results
All reviewsthe high lineno elevatormovie postersgreenwich villagemeatpacking districtdaily newsletterrock hudsonbagelsnew yorkmovie starsflights of stairsevery morningsubway stationthe meat packing districthome from homefifth floorrestaurant recommendations
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 May 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Chelsea Pines for 6 nights during a trip to get to know the city better. We read all the reviews online and selected this hotel based upon what others had to say. We found it all to be true. This small hotel is spotlessly clean, conveniently located, (metro stop at the corner...many wonderful restaurants w/in easy walking distance), and the staff always accessible with advice or assistance about where to eat, what metro to take, or purchasing Broadway tickets. Everyone was friendly and cheerful. The breakfast room is pleasant with even options for outside tables when weather permits. Nice selection of serve yourself breakfast options...even a Nespresso machine. Tea & coffee are available 24/7 and the cookie jar is always full. Jay, the owner has succeeded in operating a hotel that meets the needs of travelers looking to get away from the impersonal, mega chain hotels that are the same no matter what the city. We wanted to get a feel for New York and we certainly felt that we had actually made new friends by the time our stay was over. Another plus is the time we spent in the mornings chatting with other guests. All very interesting and had ventured from such places as Austrailia and France. We had fun comparing notes about where to eat and sights to visit. It was a very positive experience on all levels. Would stay again anytime we are in NYC.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 4th floor in the back which was very quiet. Be forewarned, there is no elevator. At the end of the day if you have spent hours walking the stairs can seem steep. Not a deal breaker in any way for us. Staff did take our bags up when we arrived.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 May 2012

My partner (now spouse) and I stayed at Chelsea Pines Inn for four nights. We arrived at the Inn approximately an hour before the official check-in time. Troy, the Operations Manager who was working the front desk, told us to make ourselves at home. We relaxed in the back garden area for about 15 minutes and were told our room was ready. Our three pieces of luggage were already waiting in our room when we arrived. We were certainly appreciative of the staff member who carried these up five flights of stairs to our room.

The Inn’s location was perfect for us, situated between Lower Manhattan, where we had to go on consecutive days to obtain our marriage license and have our wedding ceremony, and Midtown. The subway station to get to the City Clerk’s Office was a short walk away. We were back at the Inn by lunchtime both days and ate at nearby restaurants before taking the subway to Midtown to visit Top of the Rock/30 Rockefeller Center, Times Square, the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and Central Park on these two afternoons.

Each morning, we found a copy of “Chelsea Morning” under our door. This newsletter was very helpful in suggesting interesting sites to visit or activities to do during our stay. We were certainly glad we did go visit one of the places on their list, High Line Park. On Sunday, the only day where our schedule was fully free, we had already purchased tickets to visit the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, and the 9/11 Memorial. Had we had more time, we certainly would have visited more places or participated in more activities they recommended. So much to do, do little time…

Upon returning from getting our marriage license, we found a box of Jacques Torres chocolates in our room with a note from the Jay, the owner of Chelsea Pines, welcoming us. The next day, after exchanging our vows and rings, we returned to find a vase filled with 12 beautiful white roses and a card with a handwritten note from Jay and Troy congratulating us on our big day. And the gifts did not stop there. Upon checking out of the Inn, Jay presented us with a pair of Chelsea Pines 25th anniversary coffee mugs.

The Inn offered a superb continental breakfast that would appeal to any palate. I particularly loved the homemade mocha nut bread. I found out that Jay makes most of the baked goods himself. For those who need to satisfy their sweet tooth, there were jars filled with Oreos and Hershey Miniatures.

We stayed in the Rock Hudson Room. The suite was very clean and the bed was quite comfortable. The room also included a day bed in the living room area. There were two flat screen TV sets, one in the bedroom and the other in the living room. This was nice when the two of us wanted to watch different programs. After all, newlyweds shouldn’t start out fighting over a single remote. Our room faced 14th Street. Traffic noise was not an issue for us, and we are both light sleepers. We loved the bathroom, particularly the spacious walk-in shower with bench. We also enjoyed spending time with the Inn’s resident cat, Charlie Chaplin. He stopped by our room on a couple of occasions to test the beds to make sure they were comfortable enough for us.

We loved this place and plan on staying there again. We were treated like family, something that you rarely get at a major chain hotel. Jay, Tom, Troy, and Al went above and beyond to make our stay special.

Room Tip: If you have difficulty in climbing stairs, ask for a lower level or ground level room. The Inn does not have an elevator. But for those who want a "Stairmaster" experience, choose a 5th floor room.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Heath83
Reviewed 11 May 2012

I had a quick one day business trip and decided to stay at Chelsea Pines based on TripAdvisor reviews. I stayed in a basement room, #104. I really enjoyed my brief stay. When I arrived I received a thorough review of the hotel and area dining, transport and shopping options and I was able to enjoy a hot tea and a delicious scone. The room wasn't huge (so I wouldn't necessarily stay here with my family of three) but it was comfortable and clean and had character. The shower was great (plenty of hot water and good water pressure). When I returned after a business dinner I was greeted at my door by the resident kitty, who decided to follow me into my room and who didn't want to leave for some time. I enjoyed the company!
I had to leave early in the morning and so I wasn't able to enjoy the breakfast. I would definitely stay here again; it was a unique experience and I'd love to investigate the local shops, restaurants, etc.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 May 2012

Chelsea Pines Inn is Cool, Chic, Clean, friendly, warm, welcoming. The staff and owner, Jay, made us feel totally at home and they felt like friends. It was the perfect place for us to visit the Chelsea area, walk the Highline, go to art galleries and visit with friends and family. We felt comfortable and safe and the huge added bonus was the neighborhood was quiet and the hotel has a lovely, peaceful garden in the back. This was the second stay at this hotel and we definately will stay there again!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter and overlook the garden. Request a room on one of the lower floors because the hotel does not have an elevator, it's got a walkup staircase.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 May 2012

I normally travel to NYC on business and stay at more expensive hotels, but for a last minute trip I booked a room at Chelsea Pines based primarily on the glowing reviews. I stayed in the "Sophia Loren" room, and while it was clean and serviceable I can't recommend that room in particular.

Pros: clean, friendly service, good location especially if you're focused on the Meatpacking or Chelsea neighborhoods. Very quiet (though other reviews indicate that rooms towards the front are a bit noisier). Comfy bed.

Cons: As a basement room, the Sophia Loren room is very dark and feels pretty cramped, even by NYC hotel standards. It also gets a lot of hallway noise because it's located right by the breakfast area and cleaning closet, as well as some noise from people walking around upstairs. It also feels a bit dated, and has exposed piping on the ceiling, which basically made me feel like I was sleeping in a friend's basement. Also, the wifi signal was very weak.

The consistently glowing reviews Chelsea Pines gets makes me think the other rooms are much nicer, and it's generally a good value, so I may return -- but I'll be asking for a different room.

Room Tip: Avoid the Sophia Loren room.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business