“My home away from home in NYC” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chelsea Pines Inn

Chelsea Pines Inn
Ranked #31 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Chicago, IL
“My home away from home in NYC”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2013

I happened upon Chelsea Pines Inn in 2000 on a weekend trip to New York. It was convenient to the West Village and to the subway, and I loved that each room was dedicated to a star of stage and screen. I also loved having breakfast in the morning in the little cafe area -- and, in warm weather, in the garden.

In the years since 2000, I've always returned to Chelsea Pines, because the owners and the staff greet me by name and remember what I like to do when I visit New York -- because I always get good advice about theatre to see and restaurants to try and other things to do -- because I know I'll start the day right with plenty of breakfast in my tummy and good conversation with other interesting and friendly guests who are making plans for their days, too, or telling about the fun they had the day and night before.

Because Chelsea Pines isn't a cookie-cut hotel, I also find it fun to discover what room I'll be in -- what view I'll have, what the bathroom fixtures will look like -- and, of course, which movie star I'll be sleeping with! For a unique experience in this most eclectic of cities, you can't do better than Chelsea Pines Inn. (It's a good value, too!)

Room Tip: I've stayed in rooms in the front and in the back, on the first floor through the fifth -- they...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank dgchgo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (467)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2013

I spent five nights at the Chelsea Pines Inn in January 2013. One of the best aspects of staying there was the staff. Troy made me feel welcome as soon as I arrived; he showed me around the breakfast room, made suggestions about nearby restaurants and attractions, and offered advice about subway tickets. Anna and Daniel were wonderful, too. They both seem to truly enjoy meeting and talking with the Inn's guests, and making them feel at home.

My room was clean and comfortable, with more space than I'd expected in a single room, and free wi-fi. There was an excellent selection of breakfast items, snacks, and various teas downstairs. (So nice to come in after a long walk on a freezing day, and find hot apple cider and cookies waiting!) I opted to stay on the fourth floor; next time, I think I'd probably pay a bit extra for a lower floor. Although I didn't have to carry my suitcase up or down the stairs, my middle-aged legs sometimes complained about the many climbs I made each day.

The Chelsea Pines is just a few minutes' walk from a subway stop. The Chelsea Market, High Line, and Greenwich Village are also within easy walking distance, as are restaurants to fit every preference and price range. I'll definitely plan to stay at the Chelsea Pines next time I come to New York City.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Plush57
Munich, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2013

We stayed at Chelsea Pines Inn for 5 nights and my husband and I enjoyed every single minute! We lived on the 4th floor, the rooms were so clean and very pleasant.
Breakfast was tasty ( Nespresso Machine!) and plentiful. On my 50th birthday there was a bunch of yellow roses and Jay helped us booking great tickets for "Mamma Mia" broadway show. We never met such a helpful team before! Thank you for the great holiday, we will come back as soon as possible.

1 Thank Holger V
Seattle, Washington, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2013

We spent three night at the Chelsea Pines Inn before we left for a Caribbean Cruise. The people here make you feel like you are a VIP, I couldn't believe how helpful and friendly everyone was here. We were on the third floor with a street facing window but I found it to fairly quiet, especially in NYC. We stayed here before Christmas and I had forgotten my stamps so they gave me enough stamps to mail all my Christmas cards before I left NYC. I don't think I could have asked for a cleaner room, our housekeeper even folded my scarves left on the chair and carried our heavy bags up and down the stairs. Great place, great location, clean rooms, yummy breakfast, and friendly staff what more could you ask for in NYC.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2013

My husband and I stayed at Chelsea Pines Inn for 15 nights during November and December (in fact this was the second year in a row we had stayed at this time). We again really enjoyed our stay as it feels like our own little home in NYC. We were made to feel welcome by every member of the team – the rooms were so clean, breakfast and snacks were plentiful and help for any aspects of our stay was always available. The location is fantastic – close to the subway, Chelsea Market, restaurants of the Meatpacking District and also to the West Village. We have no hesitation in recommending this hotel as a great place to stay. Thanks Jay again for such a great trip and also to Daniel, Troy, Al, Charlie and the team for being so friendly and helpful to us. We hope to be back again soon!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Hudsonville, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2013

My wife and I stayed at the inn from December 9-11. We were welcomed from the moment we walked in by Rumel and Anna. Anna helped with directions to the MET and Rumel could not have been nicer. Daniel graciously passed along cupcake possibilities after doing some pretty lengthy research during our stay. This was our first trip to New York City and we can't wait to come back. Everyone we came in contact with at the inn was nothing but first class.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Denver, CO, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2013

Just returned after a week in New York with my fiancee. We stayed at Chelsea Pines Inn and would highly recommend to anyone. Best location ever - 15 minutes away from any major point of interest and a walking distance from the best restaurants of Greenwich Village, Chelsea and TriBeCa. Clean comfortable rooms, great service and an amazing personal touch. We woke up to the smell of Jay's home made bread ( he can make your favorite if you ask him politely), had breakfast on the glass covered patio reading the daily newsletter (weather, events and places to visit today) and then took off for the day of fun in the Big Apple. Coming back late you can always warm up with a cup of fresh coffee or apple cider and a dessert. Fresh roses in the room, help with planning your sightseeing, it was so comfortable. Coming back!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple