“I don't know what else to add!”
Review of Chelsea Pines Inn

Chelsea Pines Inn
Ranked #53 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Just brilliant. Stayed last week with a friend. We were on the top floor in an amazing room which would sleep three. Staff were fantastic, breakfast amazing and, Jay is a star. If you want to stay away from Times Square this is the place. It's homely and so easy to get anywhere from. I cried when I left. Cannot wait to go back.

Room Tip: If you have difficulty walking flights of stairs then ask for a lower room.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank angelcakes
There are newer reviews for Chelsea Pines Inn

Reviewed 1 December 2013

I found my new favorite place to stay in NYC. We stayed at the Chelsea Pines Inn for a week-long vacation and have nothing but good things to say about the Inn’s welcoming, helpful staff, our quiet, comfortable room, and its perfect location between Chelsea, the Meatpacking District, and Greenwich Village.
What set the Chelsea Pines Inn apart from other NYC hotels is that it felt comfortable and homey to us quickly after we arrived. The staff was very friendly and made sure to get to know us during our stay. They also made sure we were all set with restaurant ideas, subway directions, etc. I also loved the ground floor common area/kitchen that has great breakfast in the morning, and coffee, tea & snacks during the rest of the day. There’s also a backyard garden, which is a nice escape.
Location-wise, the Chelsea Pines Inn was central and convenient to everywhere we wanted to go in NYC. It is a short walk to the High Line, Greenwich Village, and Chelsea Market, and there is a subway stop a half block away to head to Central Park, Midtown, Tribeca, Brooklyn, etc. Also, I usually bring along my running shoes when on vacation and I appreciated the CP Inn’s proximity to the biking/running path along the Hudson River, making morning runs to Battery Park (~6 miles out and back) hassle-free in terms of dealing with car and foot traffic.
I highly recommend staying here the next time you visit NYC.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 December 2013

When I was a kid and would return home with my grandma, she would cheerfully say, "Home again, home again jigitty jig" and this is how I feel every time I come back to the Chelsea Pines Inn.

This wonderful hotel has the warmth of a bed and breakfast while delivering a city savvy affordable oasis at the intersection of three of the best neighborhoods in NYC - Chelsea, the West Village and the Meatpacking District. It is also a short walk from the subway making Midtown very easily accessible.

I have now stayed at the Chelsea Pines four times and it is the only hotel I use in NYC any more. The owner, Jay, and his amazing team are available 24 hours a day to help you out with whatever you may need but are not intrusive in any way. They all offer great knowledge of the local area, restaurants, theater and shopping options. Need a reservation for dinner? No problem. Want to know the best Off Broadway show right now? Just ask Jay. Want to find a nice quiet wine bar? Troy will know. And be sure to take that walk on the Highline they suggested when you checked in, and explore the shopping on that map they gave you!

If it's value you're looking for, the Chelsea Pines delivers. Their rooms are comfortable, clean and each one is themed with a different star of the silver screen. I've stayed in the Kim Novak room (twice), the Donna Reed and the Rock Hudson (hubba hubba!). In the morning, you can enjoy complimentary breakfast complete with some homemade deliciousness from Jay's kitchen and fresh espresso. Need a midnight snack? Help yourself to some Oreos that never seem to run out, no matter the time of day!

Oh, and if you miss your furry friends at home, not to worry. Charlie Chaplin, "le chat" as I like to call him, is always happy to fulfill your need to give a kitty a belly rub or to share a snuggle if you want. Of course, if you aren't the cat loving type, he'll leave you alone, but I bet he can win you over, if you stay for more than a couple of days!

I have stayed at the Chelsea Pines Inn for both business and pleasure and can recommend it for both. Simply put, you cant go wrong here!

Room Tip: There is no elevator, so if stairs a hard for you, be certain to let them know when you book your ro...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Goinsnow
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Service at the Chelse Pines is simply the best and friendliest I have ever experienced. Excellent suggestions for restaurants, bookings done for us, staff always available to help with questions. Hotel has a lovely homely atmosphere. Breakfast was nice, and served till a very accommodating 11.30am. Coffee, tea and snacks available all day in the kitchen. Brilliant location near Greenwich Village and right by the subway. No other amenities - no bar or reataurant. Don't really need them in this location though. We had a superior deluxe at the back on the ground floor (Albert Finney). Small but nice sparkly bathroom with a super shower (big enough for two and had a seat!). Room itself had everything needed and very comfortable large bed with excellent linen. Quiet at night being at the back, bit of breakfast time noise but didn't really disturb us. However, room felt a bit shabby (absolutely clean but decor a bit tired) and was dark, being in the basement (light fittings a bit old and not optimal for a basement room). A shame because everything else about the hotel is top notch. I almost certainly will book again for my next trip to New York.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 November 2013

We stayed here for four nights and this is a true gem. Jay and his staff were most helpful. They gave us tips on restaurants and what to see around Chelsea. The rooms are very clean and the beds are comfortable. We will definitely be back on our next trip to New York. Many thanks to Jay and his wonderful staff.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 November 2013

My wife and I stayed here five nights recently while on vacation. I was in charge of planning and picked CP largely due to TripAdvisor reviews, we made a good choice. The Inn is owned by Jay Lesiger, a very nice gentleman who wants happy customers and notices every detail. He has an excellent staff that's always busy but makes time to get to know every traveler and to make sure all their needs are met. While we were there Rumel and Troy were especially helpful, they always made sure our plans were good and we didn't miss anything important.
For me, one of the best things about the Inn was it's location. We were on vacation but didn't want to look touristy or be around tourists. Our plan was to be around New Yorkers and go where New Yorkers go. CP is on 14th, the edge of Chelsea and blocks from the best of Greenwich Village. You can walk out of the Inn and find a 5-star restaurant or a local sports bar within minutes. The street is busy but not crowded, full of New Yorkers going about their business, everyone is nice and the street is safe 24 hours a day. The subway is less than half a block and that's all we used, never needed a cab. We bought a one week pass, but you can walk almost anywhere from this location.
The room was very nice. but I'll mention that I initially thought it was small...but my wife thought it was just fine. Let me add this, everything is a little 'intimate' in New York and I've never met anyone who visited this city and bragged how big their room was. I'm an airline pilot, I spend half a month in hotels, but I got over this. If you want big check out New Jersey, that's where my company sends us because pilots are whiners. The bed was very comfortable and we slept like babies, very quiet, temperature was fine and everything very clean. The toilet was clogged one night and the staff was in a panic. All we needed was a plunger, but the night guy couldn't find it. Phone calls were made and the alarms sounded, the plunger showed up, probably from a 24 hour hardware store on 14th, and we got it fixed. Next day we found a dozen roses in the room for our 'troubles'. You won't get that attention uptown.
The breakfast is fantastic. Don't expect bacon and eggs, it's kinda 'Euro-New York' but really good, healthy and filling...plenty of food. The kitchen area has coffee, tea, expresso, cookies and fruit 24 hours a day. It's really nice coming in late and being able to get a few snacks from the dining area.
The customers were from all over, we didn't meet any but everyone smiled and was very nice. I heard lots of European accents but it seemed like the guests were from everywhere and all having a good time.
When we come back again I know that Jay and his staff will remember us with a big smile and count all the coffee mugs to make sure we're not up to our old tricks.

Room Tip: Talk to the staff, remember no elevator but they carry your bags.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steven M
Reviewed 23 November 2013

When I knew I was coming to New York in November (to attend the wedding of good friends), my first thought was to go to the Chelsea Pines website and make a reservation. Unfortunately, the website told me that there was no room at the inn, so I decided to call to see if there was something that could be worked out. Rumel answered the phone and remembered me from previous visits -- we'd had some nice chats in the cafe while he went about his work, so we'd become acquainted -- along with his colleagues, he worked out a plan for me to stay all 5 nights if I was willing to hop around a bit. At Chelsea Pines, that can be fun because each room is distinctive -- so I had 3 different experiences in one trip! (And the staff takes care of moving a guest's luggage, so I just had to pack up. No big deal.)

One of the best parts of the day is breakfast time -- the kitchen/cafe area lends itself to conversations with other guests sitting at nearby tables, and the breakfast spread itself is enormous -- nearly anything a person could think of to get a good healthy start to the day. I took advantage of the business center (located on the 2nd floor) on this trip, too -- what a handy place to check email, do some work, and print out materials.

Why anyone would go to a chain hotel in New York (or anywhere) when there are places like Chelsea Pines Inn to come home to is a mystery to me. For me, there's only Chelsea Pines.

Room Tip: If you want to work in your room, you might let them know that so you get a room with a desk area. I...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo