“The most homely place I've ever stayed”
Review of Chelsea Pines Inn

Chelsea Pines Inn
Ranked #44 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Dublin, Ireland
“The most homely place I've ever stayed”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

A friend had suggested a general area to stay in in NYC and I found Chelsea Pines Inn when I googled that area. I wanted to avoid midtown for my second visit to New York and I was told 'somewhere near 14th street was the place to be'. What a find! Even when booking on the phone I felt so welcome and upon my arrival I was given a handful of pages with local information, restaurant suggestions and map of Manhattan. The Inn is bijou and perfect, clean and comfortable. There is no elevator (I knew this, it is mentioned on the website and I was told again when I booked), but my bags were very kindly brought up to my room for me while I checked in. My room was small, but perfectly formed, everything a girl on her own required - a comfortable bed, closet space, a safe for valuables, air conditioning, a full-length mirror, a desk (make-up counter) and a spotlessly clean bathroom with a gorgeous shower. Reception had loaned me a hair dryer too for the duration of my stay as mine was useless with the lower voltage.
During my stay, all the staff were friendly and helpful offering conversation and restaurant ideas, without ever being overbearing or intrusive.
Breakfast was available each morning and I was able to sit in the calm of the conservatory reading my book or chatting with other guests while enjoying my English muffin and tea.
The Inn is about a 30 second walk from the subway and the local station has several lines running through it, both cross-town and up-town/Brooklyn routes. It is also a completely safe area that is more neighbourhood-like than the the lights and noise of Midtown, but as it's on the edge of Chelsea, Greenwich Village and the Meatpacking District there is an almost unlimited choice of cool eateries and interesting places to visit and walk.
This is a bit of a gushing review, but I honestly can't believe how lucky I was to find Chelsea Pines Inn. There's now nowhere else I'll stay in New York.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
4 Thank Susan O

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Breda, The Netherlands
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stayed in this wondeful hotel for ten days (end May and beginning June) and it was wonderful again!! We love the hotel and the great team of people around Jay. We return as often as possible and it always feels like coming home to our 2nd home. This was our 6th or 7th visit I think. And every time it gets harder to leave the beautiful city and our new family.
The rooms are very nice and clean. The breakfast is great with all kinds of nice things to eat. You can have your breakfast in the garden. The location is the best!! Next to the subway and close to all the great things you can do in NY. We tried a lot of new restaurants (most of them were tips suggested by the hotel). We often walked to the high line park and enjoyed the scenery and the beautiful plants etc. This is very close to the hotel.
For us this is the best hotel in the world. I have never experienced this personal touch in a hotel. Everyone should go there.
Thanks for the lovely time!! Love and hugs!!!

4 Thank rotterdamerik
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Did I Say that I LOVE Chelsea Pines Inn!!! And You will Too! This is the only place I stay when I visit NYC and THE Best place to stay. You are welcomed with smiles from the moment you arrive and will be hugging everyone when you leave. I can honestly say that I miss this place and the entire staff when I leave. Everyone is so incredibly gracious and take a personal interest in your stay and your visit to NYC. The location is the Best. Easy access (just steps) to the subway with The Chelsea Market, The High Line and the Hudson River / Chelsea Pier all within a few blocks of the Hotel. Watching the NYC Sunset from the Hudson River Parks or the High Line is just a short stroll and the most memorable. There are incredible restaurants nearby with many boutiques and shops. The Hotel and rooms are very charming and comfortable with many little extras and special touches. They offer a most splendid Breakfast every morning with special treats offered throughout the day and evening. And the best part - the coffee pot is always on. There is an atrium just off the breakfast area with a beautiful garden in the back to enjoy your morning coffee. The entire staff go out of their way to ensure you are comfortable and are enjoying your stay. This little gem of a hotel has a very BIG Heart and you will feel that from everyone including their hotel mascot - Charlie! You will not be disappointed!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Jenny R
Northampton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 June 2014

The Chelsea Pines Inn is a special place. We've been staying there on our frequent trips to NYC for the past four years, and have never had anything but a wonderful stay. The location is great, the rooms are comfortable, and the garden breakfast area is unique in NY. But it's the wonderful staff that really sets this place apart. Jay and his staff cannot be more accommodating and attentive. They make us feel right at home every time. If you stay here once, you'll want to come back. And like us, you may never stay anywhere else in NYC again.

1 Thank nohoduo
Paris, France
Reviewed 12 June 2014

if you are looking for a nice guest house this the place place to go, Rooms are quite small but well equipped, breakfast is serving a bit late for me didn't have chance to try it out. the location is fantastic, only yards from the subway and the very cool chelsea market.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank slyBangkok
Maine
Reviewed 9 June 2014

This was our first time back in two years, after all the "challenges" of moving from the UK to the US, and it was also our first holiday since we've made the move. We stayed for four nights and although sometimes places are not as great as you remember, this could never be the case at the Chelsea Pines Inn. We were made to feel at home from the moment we walked in the door - another reviewer has said that guests are cherished, and that is absolutely the right word. The breakfast offering has expanded since our 2012 visit and we were spoiled for choice. We've always stayed in the same room when it's available - the Rock Hudson suite - so could also feel virtuous taking the stairs to the top floor. The morning newsletter, which has always been a feature, is still as charmingly written and informative as ever. Simply wouldn't stay anywhere else in NCY!

Room Tip: Each room has its own distinctive film star theme and all are finished to a high quality - you can...
1 Thank Robin M
London
Reviewed 7 June 2014

My partner and I have stayed here twice now, most recently for two weeks and we have booked to go back next year. It's a lovely hotel with so many special touches to make you comfortable and very welcome. What gives the place the edge is that they genuinely cherish their guests and go out of their way to make sure they have the very best New York experience. Rooms are spacious and well-appointed, the location is brilliant, the breakfast is marvellous. I could go on but others have highlighted many of the features that combine to earn this lovely hotel its top spot on Trip Advisor. I recommend it without hesitation.

2 Thank Brainyperson