“Exceptional small hotel with a personal touch” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chelsea Pines Inn

Chelsea Pines Inn
Ranked #31 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Hollywood, Florida
“Exceptional small hotel with a personal touch”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

I've stayed at Chelsea Pines Inn perhaps 10 times over the past decade, with my most recent visit last month (June 2014). I always have an excellent stay at Chelsea Pines. It is in some ways similar to a bed and breakfast, which one does not expect to find in Manhattan. Firstly, an excellent breakfast spread is provided, including a home-baked specialty bread, croissants and bagels, fine cheese, fruit, and many more options. Coffee, tea, and a light snack are also available throughout the day in the breakfast/brunch area, which also includes a few tables in a courtyard behind the hotel. Breakfast is also a nice opportunity to socialize a bit with some of the other travelers staying there; or if one wishes, you can just relax over the New York Times or magazines that the hotel provides in the dining area.

I should also mention that the rooms are spotless, comfortable, well-laid-out, and of course nicely decorated with vintage movie posters, I also find the location is ideal--it's about 50 yards from the 14th street station of the 8th Avenue subway lines; from there, it's one or two express stops to midtown, and only a few stops in the opposite direction to lower Manhattan or to Brooklyn. Some days when I'm there, however, I don't take public transportation, as there are many interesting shops, art galleries, and music clubs (all types) within easy walking distance. It's also only a couple of blocks from Chelsea Market, the High Line Park, and the park area that runs along the Hudson River (very nice place for running or biking).

Everyone on the staff is helpful in a multitude of ways, from helping with one's luggage, to facilitating transportation to the airport, to restaurant and event recommendations. As someone who usually travels solo, I am especially appreciative of the genuine warmth and friendliness of the owner, Jay, and his staff--particularly on this last visit, Troy and Rumel.

I am already looking forward to my next visit to Chelsea Pines Inn.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank VLS0426

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (467)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

Very friendly, helpful and thoughtful staff, always available for any type of information. The rooms / bathrooms are not very large but clean and nicely decorated. Very nice and fresh breakfast (charming patio) and we appreciated the possibility to take a small snack in the kitchen after a long day sightseeing...
It is a very peaceful and convenient place to stay when visiting the city, much more charming than a big hotel! We definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SHC62
Oklahoma city
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

I booked this hotel because it was ranked as the #1 hotel in NYC by TripAdvisor even though the pictures did not concur with the ranking. They told me it didn't have an elevator, well ok it must be an exceptional place to still be ranked as the #1 hotel in NYC. There was not lobby, well ok it must be an exceptional place to still be ranked as the #1 hotel in NYC. The pictures of the room did not show that the rooms had exceptional decor, well ok it must be an exceptional place to still be ranked as the #1 hotel in NYC. No... it was not such an exceptional place that it should have been ranked the #1 hotel in NYC. Shame on me and shame on tripadvisor. It was clean and It was adequate for me, if I would have had my wife with me she would have been extremely disappointed, especially since the Waldorf was less money per night than this incredibly overrated boutique hotel. The staff was OK... they said hi when I came and left. The breakfast was breakfast. COME ON TRIPADVISOR AND PEOPLE RANKING THIS HOTEL...I FEEL AS THOUGH THE REVIEW FROM OTHERS WERE FICTITIOUS. "Everything was wonderful other than the bed and they brought me an new mattress..." NOT UP THOSE STAIRS THEY DIDN'T.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank Dkkircher
CPINY, Owner at Chelsea Pines Inn, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
A note from the Owner of Chelsea Pines Inn:

We take great pride in our property, and are extremely pleased when our guests, from all over the world, are kind enough to express their opinions. We take all comments, both positive and negative, very seriously This guest was here on business, and although we normally take several minutes checking in our guests, he seemed uninterested in our orientation and his check-in was done quickly. Shortly after he checked in, we called to see how the room was, to which he replied “fine.” That was the last opportunity we had to engage with him. Most of our guests stop to chat with us at the front desk, or we meet with them during breakfast or when they return to the hotel after their day out. Above all, we respect our guests’ right to privacy, and do our best to remain friendly but not intrusive.

As noted by the reviewer, the photographs of our property are accurate.   Almost every review on every site, including TripAdvisor, mentions the stairs; it is not some hidden aspect of our property. Most distressing is the comment that the many positive reviews are “fictitious”. After nearly 30 years in this business, I can assure this guest that none of these reviews are fictitious, but were written by actual guests describing their actual experiences. And yes, the guest who was unhappy with her mattress had a replacement mattress that very day, just as she described.

We work very hard at Chelsea Pines to maintain the highest level of comfort and satisfaction for our guests, and their continuing approval over so many years tells us that we are doing our job. We do not pretend to be on a par with the luxury of the Waldorf, and guests that are looking for that type of experience would certainly be more comfortable staying there. We are proud to say that we have successfully hosted many travelers, whether visiting for business or pleasure, over the years and we hope to continue doing so for many years to come.

Jay Lesiger, Owner, Chelsea Pines Inn
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

We stayed at Chelsea Pines Inn for the third time in February 2014 and couldn't imagine staying anywhere else in New York. The location is great - only metres from the subway and a short walk to the Chelsea Markets and the excellent Highline Park. It is the staff (including Charlie the handsome resident cat) that make this hotel so special though and we enjoyed chatting with them as much as some of our sightseeing.

For this stay we arrived at around 11pm on a cold night and were very tired after a full day drive. We were very warmly welcomed and given a dinner recommendation for a great Cuban diner open late and within walking distance. Over the rest of our stay we were given other restaurant recommendations as well as driving directions on our last day. We were also given discount day passes to a local fitness centre. We really enjoyed the breakfast each morning, especially the croissants and fresh bread (which was a different variety each day).

We have stayed in different rooms each stay and have no complaints with any of them. Most recently we were in the Ann Margret room. The rooms are not huge, but are clean and perfectly fine for us as we are only really in them to sleep. We don't have any problems with the stairs - the staff have always helped with our luggage and with all the good food we enjoyed we welcomed the exercise.

We will definitely stay here again next time we're lucky enough to visit New York!

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lu_and_Pete
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed at the Pines for 4 nights and it was wonderful. The hotel is very close to a subway line so we avoided the cost of a taxi from the airport. The breakfast in the morning goes until 11:30 and is a fantastic spread of bagels, breads, meats, cheese, hardboiled eggs, cereal, etc. We ate every breakfast there in either the sunroom or the lovely garden in back. After 11:30, they still offer beverages and a daily pastry. The staff is very helpful with questions about things to do or how to get somewhere. The hotel cat is very sweet too.

The room was small as I would have expected in NYC but the high ceilings made it feel larger. A huge bonus was having a mini fridge in the room and the hotel had it stocked with two free bottles of water when we arrived. Yes... the stairs are quaint but a downside. We were on the forth floor and because each stair is taller than the average we were out of breath when we made it to the top. But as a bonus, I lost a few pounds between those stairs and all the walking for sightseeing!

Finally, the location is fantastic. It's just blocks from the Chelsea Market, Greenwich Village, Highline Park, and Washington Park. We stayed on the street side of the hotel and had no issues with noise BTW.

Room Tip: The "standard" rooms are on the 4th and 5th floors so spring for an upgraded room if those...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Sarah A
Ornskoldsvik, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

We just want to say a big Thank You to all at Chelsea Pines Inn! The nicest hotel with the friendliest owner and staff! We spent five wonderful days there a couple of weeks ago =) This was our second time around and we don't want to stay anywhere else. It is a small, quaint hotel, the location can't be beat and the owner and staff are very friendly and helpful. The roses and the personal note when we checked in made our entire week. We will definitely be back. Thank you again!

Room Tip: I would say ask for a room facing the backyard.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank UlricaUlander
Oakland, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

I travel quite a bit for work and pleasure, but this was my first trip to NYC. Chose Chelsea Pines based on the glowing reviews in Trip Advisor and while there were a few things I'd change, overall, I would say it was a positive experience.

Believe my room was the Sheree North room, at the top of the stairs on the second floor. Had read a lot about the walk up and lack of an elevator, so was fully prepared for that. Be warned, though, that those stairs are steep, long and narrow. Was glad I was only on the second floor. Could see where being on a higher floor would be quite taxing after a long day of sight seeing if you're not exceptionally fit.

Staff was very friendly to the extent that I interacted with them. Because I had taken a red eye, I arrived early in the morning, knowing it was too early to check in, but figuring I'd take a chance. They were fully booked, so no luck, but the guy behind the desk asked me if I'd like to have coffee or breakfast and when I said I thought I'd probably do some sightseeing and asked for a recommendation for a restaurant (was in the mood for a full breakfast), he gave me the recommendation for a diner down the road that fit the bill nicely and then gave me his card and said to call back around 1:00 and he'd let me know if any rooms were ready early. I went off to do my sightseeing and was crashing by noon, so decided to just go back and wait around if room wasn't yet available. To my surprise, when I arrived the clerk said they were cleaning the room and it would be available shortly. I had a cup of tea and about 15 minutes later it was ready and they'd already taken my luggage up (much appreciated given those stairs!).

My room was in the back of the building, overlooking the courtyard, which was lovely and quiet. But given that hotel is on a busy street, could see how rooms in the front might be a bit noisy. Having heard plenty of stories of postage stamp size rooms in NYC even at the priciest hotels, I had low expectations for space and was pleasantly surprised that the room was bigger than I thought it would be with very high ceilings that helped it feel more spacious. Not much space around the bed, but roomy enough in the front of the room with a little table and chairs, a small armchair and plenty of space or my luggage.

That said, there were a couple of downsides to the room. While I appreciate spaces that are kitschy and quirky, I found the dark paint colors and heavy velvet curtains a little oppressive. They made the room dark, which it really shouldn't have been given the large window and sunny conditions. The bathroom also wasn't my favorite. Sink and toilet were in a tiny little room where there wasn't much space to move and it would be quite hot if you had to shut the door. Shower, to me, was just weird. Can only assume that they'd converted an old closet into a shower as it was separate from rest of bathroom and opened right into the bedroom. Big enough (May have actually been larger than the room with the sink and toilet) but could have seriously benefitted from some Tilex and elbow grease. Mildew was such that I felt the need to wear my flip flops while I showered, which I don't do often in hotels. That, really, was my only complaint regarding cleanliness. Also, could hear voices in hallway outside my door very clearly, but there wasn't so much hallway traffic that this was a problem. In all other respects, the room was fine. Furnishing were basic but perfectly fine and rates were reasonable given that it was high season in NY and everything was pretty pricey.

But here were the things I really liked about this place. Loved the location. Great neighborhood, easy walk to lots of interesting sights and restaurants and only a half block from subway. On direct line from JFK so if taking subway in from airport, no need to change trains with your luggage and it's a very short walk from station once you arrive.

Hotel itself reminded me of little family-run places I've stayed at in Europe. They're not necessarily fancy and may show their age or eccentricity, but they have a character that you don't get in a big chain. Sometimes that's just what I'm looking for (and sometimes I want the comfort that comes with a generic chain with a room that will be pretty much the same no matter where you are in the world). It didn't surprise me that most of the other guests while I was there seemed to be foreign.

I appreciated the breakfast each morning. A generous selection of meets, cheeses, cereals, pastries, juices, teas and coffees, it was a great start to the day that you would have paid handsomely for anywhere else. It was great to have a leisurely breakfast overlooking the yard while I planned my day's activities. Also, the young man that maintained the spread was lovely and friendly and chatted with me each day. I appreciated the little newsletter that they slid under my door that recommended local restaurants and sights.

Overall, as a solo traveler, I appreciated the more personal touch, homey feel and character at this hotel. It was a nice respite from the chaos of the city and for this trip, it was just what I wanted. If I were to take another trip to NYC, I might look around to see what else is available, but I wouldn't have a problem returning to Chelsea Pines or recommending it to others. As long as you know what it is and what it isn't, you'll be fine. I think it's a solid option for the area.

Stayed October 2013, travelled solo