“I will definitely stay there again”
Review of Chelsea Pines Inn

Chelsea Pines Inn
Ranked #65 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 9 March 2010

We stayed at the Chelsea Pines Inn in early February. We arrived after a bumpy flight and a sullen cab ride, and stepping into the Inn was a wonderful relief. When we checked in we found we had been upgraded (at no additional charge) to a suite. The rooms were clean, pretty, and really nicely furnished. Everyone at the hotel was friendly and helpful, and Charlie the cat was a great addition. I also want to note that my cat-allergic husband had no trouble - we just didn't let Charlie stay in our room, although I think that's an option for people that prefer to have a cat in residence! The only slight negative I can remember is that the water pressure in the shower could be better, but it was certainly adequate.

3  Thank Travelor5509
Write a ReviewReviews (2,178)

Reviewed 6 March 2010

We picked the Chelsea Pines Inn because of its good reviews on this site, and it fully exceeded our expectations. From the moment we arrived, Jay and his staff -- including Charlie the cat -- made us feel as if we were a part of their family. Fresh tulips for our room were a particularly thoughtful touch. Our room was large, nicely decorated with vintage Albert Finney posters, and immaculately clean. The queen-sized bed was very comfortable, and much-appreciated after a hard day of sight seeing. The hotel's continental breakfast was first class: fresh muffins and bagels; home made bread; yoghurt; fruit; cereal; plenty of strong coffee. The location, less than 1/2 block from the 8th Avenue Subway, made getting around town easy. The neighborhood -- on the borders of Chelsea, Greenwich Village, and the Meatpacking District -- has many excellent restaurants within easy walking distance. We found that Jay's restaurant recommendations were spot-on. We definitely plan to stay in the Chelsea Pines on our next trip to NYC!

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Joe_and_Rose
Reviewed 2 March 2010

I spent 5 nights at Chelsea Pines Inn for a Mom's break in the city. This was a great location for it! Comix Club is a few doors down, Chelsea Market a few blocks away for great gourmet food and indoor people-watching mid-winter, fabulous restaurants too many to name within walking distance, the subway, the High line, art galleries and more.
I was greeted warmly each time I stepped in from the cold. I was offered coffee or tea, advice on what to do and where to eat, and just generally welcomed by all the staff.
My room was on the 5th floor, no elevator, which at first put me off a bit (I had expected the 3rd floor - be sure to be specific about what you want and have them reserve that specific room). But the staff carried up my bags, and the guys at the desk answered every question for me by phone when I didn't feel like coming down. They booked shows, made restaurant reservations, made suggestion after suggestion, and followed through to see how everything went. I felt I was a personal guest of each staff member, so eager were they to please. And when I stayed in all day, they left me in peace. Just what I needed!
I loved the room, which was a superior deluxe (501). There was a little kitchen space, with sink, refrigerator, counter and a little cupboard (no coffee maker or microwave) - perfect for lunch prepared with Chelsea Market supplies. I used the daybed in the first room for reading (wonderful light space), and plugged in my laptop and ipod (port supplied) at the desk beside it. There was a spacious closet for my suitcases, coats, etc. The bathroom was big, with a big warmly tiled shower and glass basin sinks (though water pressure in the shower and drainage in the sinks could have been a bit better - not bad enough to complain to staff). The main bedroom was tight, but the space well appointed with a big dresser, a night stand and a wide sill on the window for storing books or whatever.
I didn't have the breakfast or coffee offered downstairs so I can't comment on it, though the space was clean, bright and airy. (I wanted to visit 9th Street Espresso and Amy's Bread at Chelsea Market most mornings.)
This is a place I can imagine returning to for years to come! It really felt like a home.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
5  Thank fridafan
Reviewed 27 February 2010

I get to NYC two or three times a year, staying either in hotels or renting an apartment. Just learned of Chelsea Pines Inn and thought I would try it. It was excellent. While small, the room was very comfortable and private. I really enjoyed the movie ambiance. In fact all the posters up in the room made me have the most amazing movie start dreams. The staff were friendly and fun. Finally the location was the best-close to Soho, the Village, Chelsea and the Meatpacking district. This will definitely be the first place I would go to seek a reservation for my next visit"

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
5  Thank HESBellingham
Reviewed 22 February 2010

It was clean and very friendly and in an excellent location. Breakfast was lovely and everyone was very helpful. The room was very sweet and decorated nicely in a quirky movie star homage way, it was small but had a desk and a bed and was fine for a short stay. Newletters slipped under the door a nice touch - great to peruse while you are dozing in bed and planning your days events. The location is excellent - 15 min walk to Greenwich Village, 5 min to the river and lots of interesting and lovely shops and deli's nearby.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
4  Thank Sara
Reviewed 19 February 2010

The location of this hotel is fantastic - it is on the same block as a subway station with links on the A C E and L lines, and the 1 2 3 is just one block up (*tip if you're staying for four days or more buy a metro card for 7-days which gives you unlimited travel on the subway). It is one block up from Chelsea Markets (a real cool spot to grab some food) and also a block away from the High Line (a unique park experience).

The rooms were clean, spacious and really well decorated. We stayed in room 204 the Sheree North Suite which was fantastic - spacious with a seperate bathroom and a seperate shower cubicle (also large), a lovely comfy bed by the window overlooking the garden, table & chairs (perfect for a romantic glass of wine), TV, fridge and plenty of space for clothes.

The staff at this hotel were fantastic and exceptional. Friendly, welcoming and helpful - willing to help in any way that they could - be it ordering takeout, recommending somewhere to eat, booking tickets or helping your organise a day out. The desk is manned 24hrs a day and so there is always someone there to help.

I will certainly be staying again!

5  Thank midweekpurple
Reviewed 19 February 2010

Went with my wife for a city break before going up to Maine.
Room was great, astonishingly quiet for 14th street.
Location perfect, 50 yards from a subway station. Staff could not have been more helpful and friendly. A complete antidote to the anonymous corporate overpriced places in mid-town.
It even has a "rentapet" service in the shape of Charlie the cat.
One word of caution though, there is no lift - great way of getting fit.

4  Thank Jedgarthepig