“Holiday Inn in the Financial Dist. NYC”

Holiday Inn New York City - Wall Street
Ranked #346 of 471 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Stayed at this hotel for the weekend in mid August 2014. You would never know from the outside what a nice hotel this is. The room was small but was updated and comfortable. The staff and service were excellent. Typically I don't think much of the food in the hotel restaurant, but it was late when I checked in and it was close. I was very happily surprised that the food was great! Also, the hotel is walking distance from all of the financial district and the 911 memorial and new museum.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
Leslie G, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn New York City - Wall Street, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for reviewing our hotel! I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 16 August 2014

I spent a couple of weeks here in July 2014 in a premium room on the 18th floor, and like my title says it was very hit and miss. When you first walk in the lobby is tiny, but hidden away over 20 or so floors are 6 or 7 rooms, so it is actually a decent sized hotel.

Because of the amount of floors, 2 lifts in the hotel is not ideal, and was often waiting a few minutes to go up or down.

WiFi was slow. So slow at some points it was quicker to use 3G services on my phone.

Cleanliness was good in the rooms, BUT in the hallways there was often bags of dirty laundry, which also reminds me that sometimes the trash/rubbish was left outside of the front door by either the hotel or neighbouring food places - not exactly appealing.

In terms of being a 'green' hotel, there was messaging in the bathroom to say leave your towels on the floor if you want them to be clean which is good, but there was so many towels in the room that surely after every person has stayed they all need to be cleaned. For one person staying in a room I do not need half a dozen towels.

Door key cards were fun. Over a period of a few days my key cards kept not working. I did complain on a number of occasions to the front desk, but was told I should not keep it near to other credit cards with NFC, a metro card, or any other cards (such as my work pass) with NFC. So the question is, where would be a sensible place to put it when out and about as surely most put there door cards in a wallet/purse/pocket with other cards? After a few days of this repeatedly happening, they sent someone to look at the door, then after that it was fine.

Room service does not exist at this hotel, which is very disappointing as a hotel for business stays or anyone wanting a late night snack.

Bar/restaurant on site was reasonable quality with very friendly bar staff who knew how to make a good drink, BUT closed early in the evenings. So combined with a lack of room service, it meant having to leave the hotel to find food. While NYC might be the city that never sleeps, the FiDi area becomes very quiet after 10/11pm on weekdays, and even earlier on weekends.

An alternative of course is to buy food+drink elsewhere and bring it back, but a lack of a fridge or minibar in the room meant I could not store food.

Location was great for me. A short 15 minute walk to my office in WFC. Also very close to Wall Street, while also being close to Fulton Street station which can get you anywhere in Manhattan.

Also the hotel was really quiet, and insulated from the noise at street level, even at 9am when taxis are honking there horns.

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the feedback that you have provided about my property. Please feel free to contact the hotel directly should you have any further questions or concern at Leslie.green@hhmlp.com

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Rooms uncomfortably small. Antiquated amenities. Inadequately staffed for a city of 3 million people. I would go somewhere else and spend a few more dollars to be comfortable. I wouldn't go there again having been there once…!!!!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Leslie G, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn New York City - Wall Street, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the valuable feedback you have provided about my hotel. Please feel free to reach out to me directly should you have further questions or concerns at Leslie.Green@hhmlp.com

Reviewed 9 August 2014

I stayed here on Saturday, August 2, 2014. As a NYC resident who works weekends sometimes I just wanted a break from commuting in from the boroughs.

Craig checked me in and he was wonderful. I was concerned about wifi (just ask when you check in, don't assume it's fine in any hotel) and he admitted they had been having trouble that night. I was also concerned about space. Wall Street itself has a claustrophobic feeling and the hotel corridors were very narrow. Craig offered to switch me to a slightly larger room on a lower floor that had a bit of sunlight. He encouraged me to log on to the internet and try the connection out before unpacking. If it wasn't a great connection, he'd switch me back to my original room on a higher floor.

I liked the room immediately, but the wifi signal was poor as Craig had anticipated. He quickly switched me back to my original room which I loved and was equally spacious. The wifi was fine there. I streamed audio with no issues on both days.

I'm not sure why people say the room is small. It had a king bed, two end tables, room for my suitcase, a desk and chair for my laptop, and a little dresser beneath where the flat screen TV was mounted. With all that furniture, I still had space to pull out the ironing board and iron my clothes in the morning. It had a small closet for that too. Both rooms were about the same size, honestly.

I felt it was the perfect amount of space for a single person or couple. I personally could have stayed there for a week--comfortably. The bed was immaculately white and clean. I checked everything. Spic and span. I requested an extra blanket and got a thick, white comforter fresh and warm from the dryer. I had the best night's sleep with that thing.

Cons. No free continental breakfast or room service. Craig did give me two bottles of Poland Spring on arrival. I made tea in the tiny coffee maker in the room. The neighborhood is not sketchy. All the streets in the Financial district are narrow and dark. That's how it's laid out. I felt safe but it was a 45 minute (even on the express subway train) ride back the the upper west side where I work. So not near all the tourist jazz (unless you want to do the WTC and stuff very downtown) but I'd take an extra 15 minutes for cleanliness, quiet (I barely heard a neighbor at all) and such excellent customer service.

If I can get another good rate, I will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Stay on a higher floor. Ask for what you want. The 08 rooms don't have good wifi.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Road_Less_Traveler14

Reviewed 6 August 2014

They try to scrape every penny, pay attention!!
In my reservation breakfast was included but then I had to pay. (It was even written in the voucher with the reservation! )
I didn't get my money back until now.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Leslie G, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn New York City - Wall Street, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Small and Nice room; comfortable bed. Very near Wall street. Easy access to NYC main attractions. Helpful staffs. Nearby restaurants. Had a great time! Good place for both business and vacation. I would recommend to my friends.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Leslie G, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn New York City - Wall Street, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for the positive feedback that you have provided about my hotel, we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed 17 July 2014

Very clean. Comfy bed. Pleasant & polite staff. Convenient bar & grill that also serves breakfast. The staff there was also very pleasant. The room is tiny, but for a quick business trip, you can't beat it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Leslie G, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn New York City - Wall Street, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for booking with us here at The Holiday Inn Wall Street! We hope that you enjoyed your stay and will consider us when booking in the downtown area.

Please feel free to reach out to me directly should you have any questions or concerns at Leslie.Green@hhmlp.com

Thanks!