“Completely tasteless”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Cross street: 50th Street
Transit: N, R & W trains to 49th Street, 1 train to 50th Street, and C & E trains to 50th Street.
Description: Welcome to the nanking restaurant to experience the hospitality of this ancient city of China ! Nanking is a city about equal distance from Canton and Peking.In 1842, after nanking was captured by the British, Sir Henry pottinger signed the nanking treaty. What followed thereafter was an era where various eating places opened up for visitors to enjoy the hospitality of this region. The food was modified to suit the palette of the visitors to entice them to come back to these eating places. This fusion cuisine became very popular. It is our humble endeavor at nanking Restaurant to bring you the same historical fusion taste, and hospitality from ancient China. We extend a very warm welcome to you and will make every effort to make your visit enjoyable and memorable.
Reviewed 6 May 2014

The lunch time offer was the main draw of this restaurant and whilst in NY myself and my husband decided to give it a go. Sadly this was a mistake. The chicken and sweetcorn soup to start was extremely bland. We both opted for the red thai curry for our main, the curry was very brightly coloured and and like the soup had no flavour to it at all. Service was okay but we were never asked how our food was which says it all really. Perhaps other food on the menu is better however this was by far the worst red thai curry I have ever eaten.

1  Thank Emma M

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Visited this restaurant on the spur of the moment and was surprised due to it's proximity to so many theatres to be virtually empty. Despite being only one of three couples/groups in the restaurant we had to resort to a big slow hand wave before we could get anyones attention. Another one to order... what's going on in this place? We thought Americans works hard in the service industry for tips for good service - not provide no service.
Fast losing interest in what we had originally wanted - we ended up ordering some basic fare and the speed the food came back at light speed. This was troubling. Like most diners - we like fast service but we also want the kitchen to spend extra time cooking everything well. The food was dissappointing. We paid and left to search out more substantial fare which we did within half a block. Recommend? Are you kidding? Avoid.

1  Thank ThrillingMe
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

After sitting for a while and deciding where to go for dinner because nobody cared for us for a long time (outside was raining/snowing) a lady came to take the order and disappeared.
A food runner brought the food and helped us with the drinks that were forgotten, silverware, etc, nice guy.
The orher server who brought the check was the opposite of nice. Food was good.
First time in a long time that I tipped less than 15 or 20%.

Reviewed 11 April 2014

I had dinner here on a friday. The service was ok and the food ok. It was no special experience in any sense. If you read my other reviews, I normally write much more but this time I simply could not find anything which would stand out.

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Went here for an early evening Dinner. Food is awful. Chicken was brown and not white. Asked if they use breast of chicken and was told yes, the waitress says it would just be the sauce changing the colour! I left most of my food. The waitress was clearing our plates when she then said, she checked with the kitchen and the white chicken is only used for the Tai curry dish!! So what I effectively must have had then was meat from the chicken leg/thigh. Not what you expect especially at those prices. Rice was also stuck together in one bug lump. Yuk yuk yuk!! She didn't charge us for our wine though as she knew we were not happy.