“Good price and great location.”
Review of Hotel 31

Hotel 31
Ranked #228 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Busan, South Korea
“Good price and great location.”
Reviewed 15 February 2011

Great location, close to Koreatown, the subway and the Empire State Building. Great price too. Everything was very clean, even the shared bathrooms.

1 Thank daninjapanagain

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 February 2011

We stayed in this hotel from the 2nd to 7th February and we are so pleased we did.

Check in was a breeze, straight up to the counter, room key was handed over and off we went. No hassle and no fuss and with a pleasant service. Every day when passing reception we would get a good morning or evening.

We were in room 802 on surprise surprise the 8th floor (top floor) and we used the lift all the time to go up. Yes, it's old, but works perfectly well, and I quite liked the rustic feel of it. From watching old american movies, it was good to see something of this charm.

Yes the room are a little on the small side, but there was more than enough space for our luggage and the double bed is very comfortable with clean sheets. Considering this is winter, we only had jeans and jumpers, we had no real need to hanging space, which is just as well as the room only had 3 hangers, but I'm sure we would have been provided with more if needed. The room had a sink with mirror and the bathroom was right next door and was always spotless. Once the bathroom was occupied, there is another on the opposite side, or it's just as easy to pop up or down a floor if you're desperate.

It's in a super location, close to some major attractions and the subway entrance is on either 28th or 33rd street and literally 2 minutes walk away. It's on the green 6 line and runs the length of Manhatten which was perfect for us first timers.

Check out was easy as pie, and we had a little problem with our pre booked transfer to the airport, but the guy behind the reception (sorry I can't remember your name) helped us out loads.

For £46 per night for two people, you really can't go wrong with this place.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank EssexSteve30
dublin
Reviewed 6 February 2011

This hotel is in a great location and is within walking diatance to time square and good value for new york BUT its like going into a time machine and arriving in 50's new york..decor...size...and the wallpaper!!!...very old lift....old style but some wud like it.Front desk was poor and little help....poor custmer skills. This place could be fantastic buts it basic and needs to be brought up to standards. small small small rooms!!! not reccomended for a long stay

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GenuineJudge
Sonoma, California
Reviewed 4 February 2011

I stayed here 2 nights with my mom. I originally booked at Manhattan Broadway hotel but we had a problem with our inbound flight to NY so I booked Hotel 31 the night before our arrival. Check in was fast and no fuss. The room looked very old, sort of vintage. There was no bathroom but there was a sink so at least we were able to brush our teeth/wash our faces in our room. The bed and linen looked old too but clean. My mom and I slept very soundly both nights, although on our first night we got woken up at 5am by mice. We left our suitcases open and I guess the mice got into one of our plastic bags. So we took the contents of our suitcases out, inspected everything and zipped the bags up. We didn't hear that noise again the next night but we kept our bags zipped up all the time. The shared bathroom was quite clean. Considering 5-6 rooms were sharing the same bathroom, my mom and I were both surprised that it was kept clean.

Overall, I'm very happy with this place. It's just a few block's walk from everything so although the building is old, it's a very good deal. My work takes me to Manhattan quite a lot and I stay in Radisson Lexington... and the only difference is I have a bathroom in my room. Radisson just has a nicer lobby and a Starbucks at the ground floor but the rooms are similar to Hotel 31. So if you're gonna pay from your own pocket, this hotel is a great deal.

• Stayed May 2010
1 Thank vcarolina
Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed 2 February 2011

This is a FANTASTIC place to stay whilst in New York!
It is conveniently located 20 minutes from TImes Square walking (plus lots of other tourist attractions) and has good subway connections close by.
The hotel itself is lovely. There is a quaint old elevator (we were on the 7th floor) which works well. The staff were very friendly, especially Suhail.
Our room overlooked the Empire State building.
We had a shared bathroom but it was not a problem. I waited once, it was always spotless. the cleaning in the the hotel is excellent. the room was always clean as were the bathrooms.
The room is on the small side but this is New York and its location really makes up for it. The rooms have sinks in and a TV.
Free internet
The room sometimes gets a bit hot but opening the window s not a problem.
I recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a budget hotel in New York.
Great place to stay.
5*****

1 Thank Cairoloves
Amherstburg, Canada
Reviewed 27 January 2011

My brother and I just got back from a 4 night stay here, and we LOVED IT! The room was small, but we barely spent any time there!! We were up bright and early, and in bed really late, so this hotel was PERFECT! The room was hot at times, but we just opened the window. It was SUPER CLEAN! I didnt even see one bug!!! The bed was comfortable, it was very calm and peaceful. One night I became violently ILL (beware of the salad from the little cafe on the corner) and I needed the washroom the ENTIRE night! NEVER did i have to wait to use the shared bathroom....i never even saw anyone else on our floor...it was GREAT! The only complaint i have is I pinched my hand in the elevador door when I was pulling the door open. Its a very old one...but thats it!! The staff was very helpful and I loved that we were able to check out in the morning but keep our suitcases in a locked room so we could spend the day in the city before our flight late that night! Great location too, the subway is a 5 min walk away...which was perfect cause it was cold out and so we didnt have to walk alot. I cant say enough great things about this place...if you just want a nice place to sleep so you can tour the city and you dont plan on spending your day inside the hotel, then THIS IS FOR YOU!
I absolutely will stay here again!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank nmarieee
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed 10 January 2011

This place is a great value and very good location, if you want affordable. We stayed here in January, when temperature was 20-30 degrees outside, while the room was maybe 80-90 degrees. There was no way to control the temperature in the room. Even after it was reported to the manager, it was not improved.
But the windows open! So we stayed with open windows, and it was rather nice to feel the cool air and watch the snow come down.
we will stay here again! But then we like adventure and affordability !
P.S. rooms are very small!