“Beware”

Ranked #82 of 466 Hotels in New York City
NYC
“Beware”
Reviewed 19 December 2013

Booked this hotel on Hotels.com. The room I selected was King Cathedral view recently renovated. I live in NYC, just looking for a fun night out around Christmas, it didn't start that way. It took me arguing with 2 managers and 3 people at the front desk to get the room I paid for. Basically they were trying to put me in different rooms that were either not renovated or only had twin beds. All of a sudden when I really got irritated a room magically opened that was exactly what I purchased. It was such a joke, and honestly a pathetic attempt at trying to take advantage of tourists around the Holidays. Thing is, I am not a tourist, I know better. It seemed that once they realized that then I got what I was supposed to. Now some readers may think I am just a pain in the neck, but honestly, I am a very happy guy that just happens to like nice things. This hotel would have had a good review, but it took me over an hour to get my room as they bounced me around the hotel. I have never had such a bizarre experience. So, good luck, but I would stay elsewhere given how many choices there are throughout NYC. Happy Travels.. feel free to send me a message if you have any questions.

Room Tip: Get an email in writing from the hotel describing your room type. Two different managers tried to t...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
8 Thank michael r

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (893)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed 19 December 2013

The Palace's recent renovation is impressive. The dining room is spectacular with an extensive wine list and the knowledgeable wine stewart knew the selections well. The place to stay is the "Towers," it has its own concierge and separate entrance. Our room's wall to ceiling windows, touch screen technology and large sq footage was a delightful surprise in New York.
On the negative side, the restaurant serves frozen commercial gluten free breads and muffins. Also, the Tower concierge was unaware of the complimentary theater car service. We almost hailed a cab before the bell cab told us to run to the hotel's other side to catch the complimentary theater car service. I give the Palace a 5 for location, room decor, almost prefect service, and good food despite disappointing gluten free offerings in the restaurant and lack of any gluten free items in the first floor bakery. There was nothing I could eat in the quick stop bakery.

Room Tip: Book a Tower room
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Heidi B
nypalace, General Manager at Lotte New York Palace, responded to this review, 24 December 2013
Dear Heidi B,

Thank you for this amazing review. I am thrilled that you had such a fabulous experience. Your feedback is greatly valued and we will most certainly take it into consideration.

We hope to welcome you back in the future for another unforgettable experience.

Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed 18 December 2013

This is the first review I have ever written and am compelled to do so based on the horrendous service. From the moment we checked in to our room in The Towers the service has been not only poor, but down right rude. The front desk was terse and demanding upon arrival. Every warier from the bar to the restaurant was dismissive. The worst however was when I called to report a loud party across the hall. As I was traveling on business, I needed to sleep. The manager seemed to blame me for suggesting a move instead of a wait and see approach. I was then moved from The Towers to the main hotel. The room was significantly worse. When I assumed a credit for the night was in order, the manager became sarcastic - I have never had such an experience. Traveling frequently, I know good service and bad service and this is the worst I have had in 15 years of business. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. Ever.

• Stayed December 2013
10 Thank Lloyd409
Dear Lloyd409,

Thank you for your sincere feedback. I am truly sorry that we initially did not meet your expectations but I am glad that you were able to be assisted by our Hotel Manager Becky Hubbard during your stay and we were able to rectify and address the issues you have encountered.

I am delighted that you enjoyed the remaining of your stay and, on behalf of Becky Hubbard, we look forward to welcome you back to The New York Palace.

Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

After suffering through years of construction it was great to have the palace back, unveiled and better than before. Hotel has a great location and the common areas are now really excellent. Restaurant is upgraded and food is fantastic for breakfast. There is a new fancy patisserie that looks yummy but a little fussy in decor department. I was lucky to get upgraded to they tower and it was exceptional. The new touches are small but great. Molten brown toiletries very nice. Friend stayed in hotel renovated rooms and said they were very nice. Unrenovated rooms are tired and ok. View of the church at night is spectacular.

Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Dear 4MGOBLUE,

Thank you kindly for this great review. I am thrilled that you had an amazing experience and enjoyed our restaurants.

I truly hope to welcome you back in the future for another wonderful stay.

David Chase,
HK
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I've stayed at the NY Palace hotel a couple of times, once before the renovation and more recently last month. The refurbished property certainly is nice, and the bog room sizes are a big positive in a city like NY. The coffee shop on the ground floor is also great and perfect for a quick coffee-and-muffin on the go. Overall facilities and location are pretty good, albiet pretty pricey at $400++ per night.
Where I thought the hotel was lacking was in its overall service standards. Concierge call and hold times were frequently a few minutes, to the point where you hang up and turn to the internet to find the information you needed. The overall attitude of most of the reception/.front desk/ concierge and doormen was quite laid-back and 'casual', for want of a better word. Maybe the hotel mainly caters to tourists and therefore this works, but it certainly pales in comparison with some of the newer business hotels in the vicinity such as The Setai.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank AniD1
Dear AniD1,

Thank you for staying with us. I am glad that you enjoyed your room and had a chance to try our brand new french coffee shop by the acclaimed Chef Michel Richard.

Please rest assured that we are taking your comments into consideration in order to better our services.

General Manager.
Lexington, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I stayed in this hotel with my wife on a busy December week-end. I had booked a nice room on one of the top levels of the hotel, but when I checked in, it turned out that the room I had booked was no longer available. Instead, they gave me a crappy room on one of the lower floors.

The clerk was embarrassed, so I took the room, but it was in very poor condition, right next to the ventilation of a restaurant (think chicken smell in the evening, and pancake smell in the morning), and the electricity was not working in the bathroom. They had an electrician come and he explained that there was some sort of conflict between the heating system and the bathroom, and we shouldn't use the heating. It got pretty cold at night. These rooms on the lower floors are about half the price of the higher rooms, but still vastly overpriced for the quality of the service.

Fortunately, the next day we were moved to the room we had actually booked, which was beautiful, clean and with an amazing view on St Patrick. Regardless, the fact that you cannot be sure of getting what you order is a big let down and means that I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Nicholas P
Dear Nicholas P,

Thank you for your feedback and please accept my sincerest apologies for the issues you have encountered during your stay.
I am glad that we were able to assist you and you have enjoyed you room view. Please know that we taking your feedback into consideration in order to improve our guest's experience.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 December 2013

I wrote a review about the NY Palace but I don't know how it has been removed. Anyway, I spent 8 nights in this hotel and it has been so disappointing. First, there was this incident where there was no water at all and when we asked for some bottles of water, they tried to charge for them during the check out... Then, the staff is so snobbish, I was very surprised that a luxury hotel like that one would treat their customers that way. As if we were staying there for free. I stayed at the Omni just next to it before and it was way much better, so I guess I will just have to go back there next time I'm in NYC. I can understand that a luxury hotel can charge a lot for any service but this one was so not worth it at all. I honestly couldn't wait to end my trip.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Nora C
Dear Nora C,

I would like to sincerely apologize for the issues you have experienced throughout your stay.
Please rest assured that we are taking your feedback very seriously as we constantly strive to maintain exceptional service and improve our guest's experience.