Lotte New York Palace
Ranked #78 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 11 May 2014

A friend and I traveled with our daughters and stayed for two nights. My friend booked a room with two double beds. The room was very spacious and we had a view of St. Patrick's cathedral which is currently under construction. The beds were very comfortable with a feather top mattress and the fluffiest down pillows. The hotel is around the corner from Saks and very close to the main shops of 5th avenue. I would estimate a 10-15 minute walk to Bendels, Bergdorfs, etc. The weather wasn't fabulous the whole time so we weren't able to take advantage of the outdoor terrace which is lovely. There is a Michel Richard bakery in the hotel which was nice for a quick, delicious bite before hitting the town. Rooms were quiet and bathroom was nicely appointed. Molton Brown products. Hotel staff was very friendly. We were all very pleased with our stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of St. Patricks
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (3,605)

Reviewed 11 May 2014

I wanted a special experience for my 40th birthday, so I booked a trip to NY. I wanted to pamper myself and stay in a fancy hotel. New York Palace exceeded my expectations. I got a room on the 31st floor with an amazing view and shortly after I got situated in a room, I received a room delivery with an amazing box of handmade chocolate and a birthday card! I was truly touched! They really did everything to make me feel special! Next morning we had breakfast at the hotel restaurant; OMG: French toast filled with Creme Brulee with apricot sauce!! Out of this world! Expensive, but for a special occasion, very worth. Highly recommend this hotel! Very luxurious and great location!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 May 2014

To be fair, this place isn't cheap, so I'd expect it to be nothing short of amazing. Luckily, it does not disappoint. Rooms are beautiful and have a grand old school feel. The location is great for business or pleasure - close enough to walk to Central Park/5th Ave/Times Square, far enough from the noise to have a good night's sleep. Staff is very accommodating. Bathroom is amazing, great lighting for getting ready. The bed is SO comfortable. I've stayed in this hotel at least 15 times, mostly for business but 2 or 3 times for long weekend stays. Never one issue with service.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the cathedral.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 May 2014

Just returned from 4 nights at thus hotel and considering the price I was expecting a lot better. We arrived around 1pm and had to queue for 20 mins to check in. Our room was not ready but we were OK with that so we stored our luggage and off we went. We were given the option of them phoning us or that the room would be ready by 3 pm. However when we returned again at 5.45 pm then we started to get cross. First we had to queue AGAIN this time for about 30 + minutes. I managed to get hold of a manager who went to check on our room. However we reached the front of the queue before he came back only to discover our room was still not ready! Much was made of the fact that we had not been phoned despite the fact we were told the room would be ready at 3 pm! What was really disappointing was that even behind us was a big queue still and the hotel was not being honest and saying don't queue no-ones room is ready go and have a drink on the house for an hour! Some very cross people! We insisted on a drink and finally after another 30 mins or so were told our room was ready. I have yo say the room was amazing high floor views of the cathedral very luxurious. Sadly we also had problems the next day after returning after a long day sightseeing our room keys did not work. We were on the 21st floor had to go all the way back down again queue AGAIN at reception and then wait ages for a security man to let us in. Luckily I had my pasport as we had been to the heliport as the security officer told us we needed photo I'd for him to let us in the room. We were told the issue was we had apparently extended our stay so clearly incorrect as we'd only arrived the day before! Other issues involved my friend being told off for sitting in the bar to use the WiFi and no bath mats. For a hotel as expensive as this the cheap plastic wobbly toilet seat was below standard. I can't fault the location or service of most staff but I think there are probably better hotels for regular visitors so if I go to NYC again I won't be staying here.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor facing the cathedral tell them it is a special trip I.e. anniversary
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Catspelle1
Reviewed 9 May 2014

I stayed there for a night in February when I went for a meeting. It was an excellent stay. The hotel seemed like it had been recently renovated so all the furniture and equipment was all new and shiney. All the room amenities were excellent. It has a great location, right in the heart of mid-town so most places are accessible easily. My room was situated on a higher floor which gave me a superb view of the Church and the New York city skyline. The concierge was very pleasant and extremely helpful. Although I did not dine there, the food options were mouth watering. Overall, a lovely stay and I would recommend it to anyone going to New York for a short business trip.

Room Tip: Choose a room on a higher floor as they have a great view of the Church and New York city
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Plush-Escapes
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

Christmas vacay with my daughters and grandchildren in NYC ! We stayed at the elegant NY Palace which is so convenient especially with 3 young children in tow. They even had special American Girl beds in hotel room for my 2 grandchildren. We walked to American Gifl store, Radio City for their Christmas Spectacular, St. Pat's Cathedral and to Nobu for dinner. Nobu graciously made My allergic grandson's meal safe for him !!!

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank joni1953
Reviewed 8 May 2014

Major building works right outside our window for the whole of our stay. If your booked into this hotel, make sure you check what side of the building your on as you'll be woken up at 7.15am with this kind of noise which lasts all day ( see video)
As soon as we arrived we were met with this big ugly canopy which acted as a shoot for the rubbish as well as a cover up and we couldn't exactly relax and open the blinds as there was always two or three workmen right outside the window. There was no mention of this in our booking or on checking in, so I don't know what they thought us poor suspecting guests would think of this after spending loads of money for the privilege of staying over a building site.
I am disabled and have to rely on a wheelchair to get around, but there was nothing disabled friendly about the room either. In fact the two queen beds which took up most of the floor space made it even more difficult for me to get around. There was a roll in shower as they call it in the bathroom, but with no seat available until the following evening and not a grab rail in sight near the loo. However they did have a spy hole halfway down the door, which is extremely useful !!!
If you should like to use the hotel facilities, such as the restaurant for breakfast, if you cannot do the stairs to get there, then it's a trek with around five lifts, so beware wheelchair users.
Overall we found the staff to be pretty good, especially the concierge desk. The front desk/reception were not quite so amenable when it came to changing the room and offered me another room with the same facilities and view. After living out of suitcases for two days in the unlikely event of changing to a more suitable room, we gave up and had to unpack. When I mentioned compensation, I was originally offered 100 dollars, which is a joke in this hotel as it cost around £8 for a bottle of coke. I eventually asked the duty manager to come to our room the day before departure so that he could see for himself. He agreed wholeheartedly that it was a sight for soar eyes and said that he would get back to me. I ended up with £200 compensation, which I am not happy with, considering the amount of money we spent on this trip, so I am pursuing it further through my travel agent. Further to this one of our bookings went missing and we spent ages trying to sort this out after a very long journey. Plus the other room was meant to have a cot in place on arrival and that never materialised either. Overall a bit of a shambles and a disappointing stay in New York.

Room Tip: Check for building work before booking
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family