“Hard to fault”

Ranked #83 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Coventry, United Kingdom
“Hard to fault”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

When originally making the booking there was a $50 per night charge for a "view" of St Patrick's Cathedral but we were thrilled to be allocated a room in the middle of the block on the 31st floor with amazing views. Staff were friendly and courteous and always had the answers to any questions. The concierge recommended a fantastic restaurant for a very special meal and went on to make the booking on our behalf (Del Friscos) - superb! Drinks are a little pricey in hotel, as is the menu generally, but on a par with a good London Hotel. The location is fabulous - easy to get everywhere by subway, cab or better still, on foot. Walking distance from Central Park, Time Square, Grand Central Station, Broadway etc. Great shopping within a few blocks too, with high-end boutiques through to Macy department store for all of the main-stream brands at really good prices.
I would be worried about going back as I don't think it could be any better than our first visit - fabulous!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Virgin Holidays

nypalace, General Manager at Lotte New York Palace, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Dear Trip Advisor member,

Thank you for sharing the wonderful experience you had at the New York Palace. I am thrilled that we exceeded your expectations and I hope to welcome you back for another great stay.

David Chase

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (893)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 16 May 2014

Overall stay was very good. Concierge service was particularly good. Kal was very helpful in sorting out all of our requests. He's the best concierge in NY (so far). Location was very convenient. Rooms were nice and clean. I recommend this hotel for any visit

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Fzein
Dear Fzein,

Thank you for this great review. I am glad you enjoyed your stay and our world class Concierge service. I will be sure to pass your kind comments on to our wonderful Kal.

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I just got back from my stay at the New York Palace. I was at a conference so my rate was a conference rate. I was in room 3115 with a Spectacular view of midtown Manhattan. The location is excellent. The staff was very helpful with any question or request I had. My room was large by New York standards and I loved the Molten Brown bath products. The bathroom is not overly large but was adequate and I am glad they used the space for the actual room vs the bathroom. I would definitely stay again and would recommend to others to stay here also

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear Time2flyaway,

Thank you for taking the time to share you great experience at The New York Palace. I truly hope to welcome you back for another fantastic stay.

London
Reviewed 15 May 2014

You cannot stay at this hotel without knowing that they have spent a considerable amount of money recently renovating it. It is proudly proclaimed on the website. It is broadcast to you, in all its MTV glory from the TV as you step into your room. And it is clearly obvious from the public spaces, the bars and restaurants, the elevators and the rooms. And they have done an exceedingly good job.

The rooms are large, generously proportioned and many come with fabulous views of the surrounding skyline (Rockerfeller Centre, St Patrick's etc). The fit and finish is tasteful and luxurious with my main quibble being the absence of coffee/tea making facilities or a suitable alternative (i.e. complimentary coffee service in the lobby) and a very poor shower (high pressure, wide spray and very low volume), leaving you feeling like you have walked through a warm mist rather than taken a satisfying shower.

The location is also excellent if you wanted a base around 5th Avenue or the mid-town business district.

And unfortunately, the superlatives end there.

My main gripe is that while a lot of money has clearly been thoughtfully spent on upgrading the appearance of the hotel, they have either neglected to spend any on upgrading the staff or worse, the service level is exactly what they intended.

The bad impression started on arrival, when my colleague and I walked into reception to be greeted by 4 staff members talking to each other. When they saw that we were waiting, one of them proceeded to make a call, 1 disappeared and the other 2 continued their conversation. After a minute or so, it occurred to one of them that we might be waiting to check in, at which point, she looked over, smiled thinly, pointed an index finger up and said: "I'll be right with you" and then proceeded to continue talking to her colleague for another 5 minutes.

When they finished talking, we were duly processed (that is exactly how we felt) and left to our own devices. No directions to the room or the elevator or a welcome message. Once in the room, we were surprised to find that there was no turn down service, and in fact to my knowledge the room was never cleaned during my entire stay (I arrived at 11am and checked out at 1pm the next day and never saw a housekeeper). Later during my stay, I called down to reception to try and organise my bill ahead of checking out and for the first time ever, had a call to a hotel front desk ring out without anyone picking up. Quite bizarre.

Breakfast is served at Villard, which is a fabulous room with ceiling frescoes, ornate decoration and all the embellishments but trying to get seated is like being snubbed at the latest "It" nightclub. A beautifully presented, but thoroughly uninterested hostess, asked if we had a reservation, and then made us wait while she tapped leisurely at a screen for what seemed like hours, before finally showing us to one of many tables in a half empty room. I would understand if this was dinner at Per Se, but breakfast at your hotel? It's just too early in the morning for that kind of attitude. Strike that. It's never the right time for that kind of attitude.

This type of lackadaisical regard for guests continued throughout the stay, with some notable exceptions (the Spa receptionist, Asif, was excellent, as was the concierge desk in general) - however the overall level of staff attentiveness and responsiveness was quite diabolical.

All of this would be tolerable if the rooms did not cost what they did (we paid around in the region of $600 inclusive of taxes per night). Perhaps that is not much for a big city but it certainly feels like a luxury price for a stay in a beautiful house where you feel like the hosts are utterly condescending and can't wait for you to leave.

And I guess this is what is ultimately so disappointing.

Service wasn't rude or offensive, it just felt as if the hotel wanted guests to understand exactly how privileged and lucky they were to be given the fabulous opportunity to stay there - rather than the other way round.

In fairness, I thought that I might have been a little too critical based on too short a stay. In total, 5 of my colleagues stayed in the same hotel over the course of a week for meetings we were having nearby. Sadly, I found that my service experience was not unusual.

Room Tip: High floors are less noisy and have better views
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Strae
Dear strae,

I appreciate your nice remarks and sincerely thank you for your detailed feedback. I would love to have a chance to speak with you personally in regards to your recent stay.

Please kindly contact me at your convenience at executive@nypalace.com so we can discuss this further. I look forward to hearing from you.

Winter Park, Florida
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I recently stayed at The New York Palace Hotel, it was my first time to stay there, not my first time in NYC. All things considered, I was disappointed. The best feature of this hotel is the location, it is excellent. However, at the rate they charged me it was, even by NYC standards, not inline with the level of service offered. I paid close to $600 per night and to my dismay, was told that they do not offer turn-down service, not even upon request and there was no explanation offered. I assumed that in a hotel of this level, it would be, as it generally is, standard. However, when I called to tell them I was leaving for dinner and they could do the turn down service, the front desk said 'we no longer offer turn down service.' Additionally, I was given no wash cloths, seems like a small thing but again, this was another bad surprise. I asked for some and it took until the next afternoon to get them and a second request directly to the housekeeper. She actually said she didn't have any but 'she knew where to get them'. Seriously? at these rates? Lastly, the shower head sprayed water all over the very tiny bathroom. They constantly touted the multi-million dollar renovation, maybe they should have saved some money for hotel operations to provide guests with turn down, wash cloths, and a fully functioning, bigger bathroom.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Debbie S
nypalace, General Manager at Lotte New York Palace, responded to this review, 29 May 2014
Dear Debbie S,

I sincerely apologize for the issues you have described and can assure you that they do not reflect the superior service we proudly provide our beloved guests with.

I would love to personally discuss this further with you. Kindly contact me at your convenience at executive@nypalace.com.

Basking Ridge
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Excellent location and service. Rooms are nice. However these was construction 30 feet outside our 11th floor room which started at 7am. Hotel did not inform us of that but did give us a small compensation at check out.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Joe M,

Thank you for your feedback. I sincerely apologize for the disturbance you had to experience as we, in many cases, are also unaware of the construction work happening on the other buildings in the area. I am glad however that we were able to turn the situation around and provide you with a most enjoyable stay.

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I absolutely loved this hotel, thoroughly enjoyed my stay and will definitely be back and recommend to others. Location is perfect. The guy at reception was very helpful and friendly. I was super pleased at the room's view too when I got upstairs, it took my breath away after a long and annoying journey. The place is so relaxing. Liked using the Molten Brown products. Housekeeping have this place immaculate, it was better than my stay at the Ritz in that regard and that's very important to me.

There was no free wifi however, which I was very disappointed at. In this day and age and in an establishment like this I would like to take these things for granted. One of the bellhop guys was a little off with me when I left ... maybe there were other customers waiting with more luggage or something, which I understand is important, but just be focused on who is in your care at that moment is key, whether they are waiting on one bag or twenty. And finally I think they should rethink the price points on the in-room snacks. Not only are they absurd, but the hotel would find more people would take more produce if they lowered just slightly - people expect premium, but the hotel is pricing themselves out of a deal in the end I suspect.

Room Tip: Ask for a cathedral view
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo