“Wonderfull stay”

Lotte New York Palace
Ranked #81 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 16 June 2014

What an absolute gem we found, The service was great, the food to die for. Clean cosy rooms.
In all a wonderful Hotel. We already made our booking for next year and will bring our parents with. Thank you once again for making our stay so perfect.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
nypalace, General Manager at Lotte New York Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear 299Hans,

I am thrilled to hear that you had a wonderful stay and look forward to welcome you back with your parents next time.

David Chase

Write a ReviewReviews (3,717)

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I booked 2 rooms at the New York Palace recently when I took my 18-year-old daughter and 3 of her friends to New York for the Governors Ball music festival. I booked what they were calling their "family values" rate: book one room and get the second room half price. A few days before our departure, I received an email asking if I would like to request an upgrade on our rooms. Assuming this was similar to other hotel's upgrade programs where they offer unsold upgraded rooms on check-in at a greatly reduced price, I clicked the button to request and upgrade. This took me to a new page that simply said "upgrade request received" and nothing else about price info, what the rooms were, or anything. After waiting quite awhile to check in (more on the absurd check-in waits later), I was told that one of our rooms was upgraded to a tower room and the other was in the old part of the hotel. The best part though was the one upgraded room cost TWICE as much as the room I booked! I explained about the "upgrade" procedure I went through and that it didn't say anything about price and the front desk associate, Ava, offered to switch back to my original reservation and I said fine. I would like to say that Ava was absolutely incredible and, if it weren't for her, I probably would have thrown in the towel and moved down the street to the Waldorf after what we went through next. One of our rooms was ready when we checked in but the other was not yet clean. We took all our things to the one that was ready and proceeded out to get some lunch and do some shopping. Ava told me someone would call me when the room was ready, which they did, but my phone had died and I did not get the call. When we returned, I waited in the long check-in line a second time to pick up the key to the second room. I once again saw Ava, who quickly found out that the room we were supposed to get, next to the first room, had been given to someone else because I did not answer when they called and tell them I wanted the room. Seriously? It reminded me of the Seinfeld episode about the rental car company being able to TAKE the reservation but not HOLD the reservation! Did they think I wouldn't want the room I booked? The only room with two beds she could give me at the time was on the 10th floor--15 floors away from the first room. Did I mention I was traveling with FOUR teenage girls? I reluctantly accepted the room after being assured that the adjacent room would be available the next day and we could move. When I got back to my room I thought about it some more and decided the situation was not acceptable. I had booked two rooms under their so-called "family values" plan and I expected to get two rooms that were at least on the same floor! So, back to stand in the check-in line again. I realized, on wait number three, why the line takes so long: many people had been given the upgrade scam and their reservations had to be totally re-done. I waited 30 minutes to talk to Ava again because I didn't want to start the whole process over and I was beginning to have a personal relationship with her! I explained my point of view about the rooms being so far from each other and that I didn't want to move all of our stuff the following day. Ava was so incredibly helpful and was not satisfied until I was satisfied. Finally, she found another room on the 10th floor and I moved down. Like I said earlier, if not for Ava I would have left for another hotel.

The positives: the rooms are very large, clean and bright with very nice views. All the staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful. The location is fantastic. The food in the little cafe was very good. The rooms were pretty quiet, even as low as the 10th floor. Were it not for the horrible check-in experience, I would have rated the Palace a 5. It should not take over 2 hours to get checked into the rooms that were booked!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor. Do NOT respond to the "upgrade" email unless you want to pay double!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank deathbycupcake

Dear deathbycupcake,

Thank you for your sincere and detailed feedback. I am so sorry for all the confusion and glad to hear that Ava provided you with excellent service therefore making your experience a pleasant one. After all, this is all we strive for at the New York Palace: To make our guests happy and provide memorable stays.

I look forward to welcome you and your family back.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Traveled to NYC for a special birthday vacation for my ten year old granddaughter. The New York Palace was recommended and we could not have been more pleased. We booked three rooms over our stay for our party of six. Each room was lovely, clean and spacious. The view from our room was breathtaking and the location was close to everything that we wanted to do: theater, fine dining, shopping, sightseeing. All of the staff were friendly and accommodating. The concierge was very helpful with theater tickets, directions, dining recommendations. We will definitely return to The New York Palace.

Room Tip: A room facing St. Patrick's Cathedral has the best view. Rooms were quiet.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Joanne H,

Thank you for this amazing review. I am so glad that you enjoyed your room and the breathtaking views. I hope your granddaughter ahd an awesome birthday.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

Just got back from a great NYC weekend! As always, we stayed at the Palace.

The Hotel is simply amazing. From the staff to the rooms, everything is perfection. Everyone is friendly, courteous, and goes out of their way to make your stay the best in NY. The rooms are spacious, clean, and comfortable! I love everything about this hotel AND you can't beat its location. It is well worth the price, and I don't say that too often.

The hotel has been renovated, and the rooms are much brighter. I miss the sophistication of the "old" palace, but that is just a matter of preference. Don't let that detour you from staying here.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on a higher floor, you won't be disappointed!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Patricia B,

Thank you for this great review. I am glad that you came back end enjoyed your stay.

I look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Would I stay again? Doubt it. Would I recommend to a friend? Yes for the experience. Few things here kept me from giving this a 5 star review. For a luxury hotel, they really like to keep the check in line long for some reason. Takes almost 20-30mins just to check in - there were only 2 people checking in behind the counter but another 5 waiting around not doing anything - fine check in may not be their area but why not help speed the line up? I asked for a higher floor with a decent view. I got a high floor - but looked into a construction site....some view. Another thing that surprised me was there is no automatic turn down service - apparently you have to call the lobby for it? That I found a bit strange for a luxury hotel...

Hotel amenities were nice only because it's such a historic and monumental place. Showers and bathroom were 'okay' - comparable to any branded Hilton or Sheraton. Not sure what more I can say about the rooms...of course if you want to experience luxury - you have to stay in the Tower Suites. Any that's if you want to drop a few thousand.

I suppose NYC hotels are all like this - it's location you pay for at the end of the day!

Room Tip: If you can afford it, book in the Tower Suites. Ask at the front desk to ensure you're not facin...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Finertravels

Dear Finertravels,

Thank you for your feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your stay overall and for recommending our Towers section.

I hope to welcome back sometime in the future.

Reviewed 14 June 2014

I travel to NYC 1-2 times per month and have stayed in many hotels in Manhattan. I got lucky and stayed in the New York Palace Hotel this past weekend. It was a busy Friday afternoon and I had to stay in line a little longer than I had anticipated but was pleased when I got to my room on the 35th floor. The view was amazing. The room was large by anyone's standards (not just large for NYC). Everything was updated and the room had a lot of outlets so that multiple items could be charged at one time.

The hotel is in a busy part of Manhattan but my room was very quiet. The location is perfect. The bar is classy and not too busy. I hope I'm lucky enough to stay there again!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Jen_K_777

Dear NYUGirl777,

Thank you for your great review. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much.

PS. We would be lucky to have you back.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Stay - 21st to 25th May 2014; myself, husband & daughter (18). Tip, top, from the moment you are greeted by the doorman. All the staff were very accommodating. We booked a suite so that our daughter could share; plenty of wardrobe space and considering we had a travel bed, (which my daughter said was extremely comfortable) in the lounge area, we were not cramped at all. Amazing view over St Patrick's. Excellent, in-house coffee shop serving superb pastries to help overcome the jet lag. The doormen supplied each of us gigantic umbrellas which were fantastic and kept us bone dry during the torrential rain throughout our visit.

Location ideal; close to 5th Avenue, Top of the Rock, Central Park.

Tips for Trip; carry plenty of change as this is a 'tip' city; pre-book as many tourist attractions as you can to avoid the queues, (apart from Top of the Rock or Empire State as weather critical for good views), wear comfortable shoes as you will walk miles.

This trip was for our silver wedding and our daughter's 18th birthday. We were not disappointed and will definitely be returning to complete what we didn't have time to see.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear AnnaA,

Thank you for this fantastic review. I am thrilled that we exceeded your expectations and provided you with a wonderful experience.

I hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back in the future.