“Great Manhattan base”

West 57th Street by Hilton Club
Ranked #54 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 30 May 2012

We stayed at West 57th Street by Hilton Club for a week and it served as a great home base. We are not Hilton Club members/owners -- many of the guests have timeshares. We had a studio, which is their smallest room, but very generously sized for Manhattan. Our room was in excellent condition, well designed with a small seating area, modern and well-appointed, with a very large (width and height of the room) floor-to-ceiling window looking out on mid-block rooftops. Very pleasant. Bed was super comfortable. Generous amount of drawers and closet space. Great bathroom. There was a mini-refrig which was handy for breakfasts and snacks. Also a hot water pot to make tea. The room was very quiet -- we were across from the elevator and never heard any noise in the hall. There were always lots of staff in the lobby and they were pleasant and unobtrusive. Excellent lobby security at night. Negative was that the lobby was very small with limited seating and there were no other common areas open to non-Hilton Club members. Location is great, at the corner of 57th and 6th Ave -- good proximity to MOMA, Central Park, Carnegie Hall, 5th Ave, and easy access to multiple subway lines close by.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 May 2012

Highly reccomend this apartment complex. Rooms are perfectly appointed with floor to ceiling windows and lots of space. Comfortable bed and seperate lounge plus plenty of closet space for an extended stay. This is a limited service club however the staff were very friendly and helpful and always greeted us with a smile on entering or leaving the building. Walking location to central park, avenue of the americas, Times Square and 5th Avenue.

Reccomend if you want more space and a smaller property with a great standard of facilities.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are much quieter but have a limited view.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 May 2012

I have to start by saying that I'm really shocked a company in this day and age - with the reputation of Hilton - thinks they can get away with this sort of behavior. REALLY shocked.

I booked a Hilton Hotel earlier today (for tonight May 8th) and was transferred, as a Hilton HHonors customer, to hear about a special offer. It sounded good - I could get a room at West 57th on dates, that I was visiting NY for 2 nights for $299 plus tax, and I'd get $100 cash back on check in as well. The telesales guy on the phone said he could book the dates (2 night offer) and I'd just need to call back and add an extra day I needed - perfect. He also told me that to qualify for the special offer I'd need to listen to a briefing on the property, just so I didn't miss anything - there was so much to do. I qualifed that this wasn't going to be a pressure selling thing, because I'd looked at the property on the web and it really didn't look like it would take 2 hours to view it! He said that was just standard text and of course the briefing would only take as long as needed to view the place (after seeing other comments I'm really not sure if this is true, but can't comment... because...).

Shortly after getting off the phone with him I called the customer service number to add the extra day as instructed. I was told by customer services that I had purchased the package, but no rooms were booked. And furthermore West57 was not available - were there any other dates I wanted to try. I was furious. I was very clear with the telesales guy that the only reason I was looking at taking up the offer was because of this upcoming trip to NY on those dates. I felt as though I had been taken for a ride. I explained the situation to the customer service person and to her supervisor, but they refused to give me a refund, for something I had purchased on false pretenses only 30 minutes earlier. They are now going to listen to recordings of that conversation and get back to me tomorrow, but I am totally shocked that a company like Hilton would do this.

(Follow up, the customer service desk never bothered to get back to me, so I've written complaint letters and contacted my credit card company to refute the charge!)

So be warned if you ever get an offer like this!

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank AlanOttawa
hiltongrandvacations, General Manager at West 57th Street by Hilton Club, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2012

Please except my apologies for this unfortunate experience. I am available at your convenience to resolve this matter with you. I can be reached directly at 646-484-4120.

Laurie Del Sole

Reviewed 4 May 2012

My husband and I stayed here for three nights in April and very much enjoyed it. The rooms by NYC standards were large, clean and comfortable. With the bedbug problem in NYC it was reassuring to stay in a new facility with bamboo flooring that was obviously well maintained. The location of this Hotel rocks! Two blocks from Central Park, Rockefeller Center ,The MOMA--can't be beat! Carnegie Hall one block away! Great restaurants nearby. We easily walked to Times Square for a play and did not even think of taking a cab. The Subway station was also very close and we used it to access lower Manhatten and Ground Zero. A very pleasant experience.

Room Tip: Ask to be placed at the back of the property away from the 57th St construction noise
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Travelqueen37215
Reviewed 3 May 2012

This place is good, not great. The stay was perfectly fine, but nothing memorable enough to make me choose this hotel over others in the city.

Pros:
Staff - all very friendly and helpful.

Location - next door to a grocery/drug store (Duane Reade); pizza place across the street; 5 minutes to central park; next door to Carnegie Hall; semi-walking distance to Times Square; 5th ave shopping.

Room - Extremely quiet inside; never heard another guest; "wood" floors (although they were sticky); great shower and huge soaking tub; good channel selection; DVD player in living room.

Cons:
Lobby: Extremely small lobby and sitting/waiting area; only two elevators (although we never had to wait too long); does not have the feel of a nice hotel (for the advertised price, you'd be better off getting a suite at the Waldorf where you can get the same room amenities and more ambiance).

Room: we stayed in a one bedroom plus suite. There was a very small mini fridge and NO MICROWAVE. I understand that they might not want you to cook in the room, but the ability to reheat coffee/tea would have been nice. We had to use the sofabed and it was one of the most uncomfortable nights sleep we have ever had. Do not recommend this place if you need to use the sofabed. For the price of a suite, I would expect a better quality sofabed. The room was clean enough, but the floor seemed sticky, which made me hesitant to walk around with bare feet.

Misc:
There is a small convenience store/deli beside Angelo's pizza (across the street from the hotel). The guy that runs the store is a jerk! After we spent $20 on a deli plate he accused us of stealing a soda. I wish we knew what a jerk he was before purchasing the overpriced food! My advice is to avoid this place and purchase what you need from Duane Reade.

Overall, the place is OK. The location is the only reason I would stay again. That and the staff were pretty nice.

Room Tip: They offer a street view or courtyard view. We had the courtyard view, which was not bad, but I woul...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank stevenssn
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I'm a New Yorker and have stayed in many NYC hotels. The West 57th Street by Hilton Club is a nice hotel. Lobby is clean and the staff is mildly friendly. There are no areas to sit and relax or socialize. No people watching opportunities - which is always fun in NY. Our room was modern with a fun bathroom with sliding shower door. Clean & chic. If you are an owner, the owner's lounge is stocked with food and beverages which are of good quality. If you are not an owner, I would suggest staying in the Hilton 6th Avenue. Much more of a fun scene with restaurants/bars/shops and lively atmosphere.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking 57th Street. The alternative is probably quieter, but overlooks a residen...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Joanonthego
Reviewed 23 April 2012

My husband and I stayed one night for a weekend get-away in March. GREAT location: 2 blocks from Central Park and Columbus Circle! Doors away from Carnegie Hall (and the famous Carnegie Diner - the "finer diner"), Lincoln Center, MoMA, and a convenient subway stop on 7th Avenue. We stayed in a studio (impressively large - especially the bathroom) that had a hotel-feel. Modern chic decor, very quiet (thick walls), spotlessly clean, nice large windows (although the view was nothing to speak of), king-sized bed, mini-fridge and microwave. The entire hotel staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. We would easily stay again due to the convenient location and excellent accomodations. Wouldn't recommend bringing a car but if you do, download a discount coupon for parking at the garage on 58th Street between 6th & 7th avenues - the valet is much more expensive.

Room Tip: Ask for the front of the hotel and the highest floor possible for views of Central Park.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple