“A Great Inexspensive Experience--Please Support”
Review of The Public Theater

and up
A Walk Through 1840's New York City
Ranked #264 of 1,122 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Founded in 1954 as the Shakespeare Workshop, this non-profit theater presents full seasons of new plays, musicals, Shakespeare and the classics in various venues throughout New York City.
Reviewed 20 May 2014

Weather we come here to see a play or a show at Joe's Pub my wife and I always have a great time.We have taken many family and friends here and they all have the same effect and now bring their own friends.The Public Theater has become a great NYC destination and the area across the street beginning on 7th has become a hotbead for inexpensive dinning and drinking.

Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

The Public Theater
425 Lafayette Street, NY, NY 10003
Sun & Mon: 2 - 6 PM, Tues - Sat: 2 - 7:30 PM

Contact them for tickets.

Here Lies Love is currently playing at The Public Theater. One of the best plays I have seen executed. True story of Imelda Marcos with an excellent cast. It has energy, costumes galore, shifting scenes and best of all if you get tickets on the ground stage level, you are immersed within the play as a participant. (Don't worry, you don't have lines to deliver)

It's a play not to be missed!

1  Thank foodyholic
Reviewed 2 February 2014

My wife and I saw three plays during their annual "Under the Radar" Festival. Each play was a gem! The tickets are very moderately priced ($ 20 for each play), the staff is very friendly and helpfull and the location is very convenient. When we visit New York we always book some plays there in advance. So far we never ever saw a dull or bad production at this awesome theatre complex!

Reviewed 26 January 2014

I recently saw 3 plays that were part of the ' Under the Radar " series. Interesting plays, good venue, extremely reasonable price, near the subway, in the Village so good vibe and many restaurants........I have nothing against a big Broadway production but this kind of live theater is so very wonderful too.
The building is interesting too.......the old Astor Library,historic building before that and historic old mansions across the street too.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

I started my membership of the institution with the musical production of Alison Bechdel's "Fun Home". I was a great fan of the graphic novel but was not prepared for the magical experience of the musical. Incredible production and performances. Have not seen anything so funny yet poignant for a long time.
It motivated me to buy memberships as wedding gifts and tickets as birthday gifts. Do support their programming by obtaining a membership. If you are a theatre-goer it pays back in no time because of the discounts that you enjoy.
The venue is updated and fabulous.