“Interesting and Different”

Paley Center for Media
Ranked #379 of 1,115 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Visitors can select from more than 50,000 radio and television program tapes to listen or watch at one of this museum's 96 radio and television consoles.
Reviewed 10 November 2013

This was and interesting and fun visit. The catalog of television shows and advertisements is accessed through computers. There are multiple headsets for each computer so that if you visit you can share what you are watching with those that you are travelling with. We watched a 1950's show, a 1960's one and a Saturday Night Live episode from the early years that we had seen together years ago. I would suggest reviewing their website ahead of time in order to make the most of your time there.

1  Thank NYTravelerOlney
There are newer reviews for Paley Center for Media

Reviewed 1 July 2013

My wife and I had visited this attraction several years ago when it was known as the Museum of television and radio. Its was memorable then but It is even better now in it's new format. Last visit we were limited to 3 shows from early radio or television and now you get 90 minutes of unrestricted viewing. They weren't busy so we were allowed to log in for another 90 minutes of viewing. Watching or listening to shows from your youth or even childhood years really brings back memories. My only suggestion if you are planning a visit is to have a list of programs you most want to watch, searching is very easy. Entrance fee is only $10, $8 for seniors, a real bargain for an attraction in Manhattan

2  Thank gringobill
Reviewed 29 June 2013 via mobile

I was expecting a museum all about television and radio, but what I found was more of a library, and as a massive TV fan (can't get enough TV!!!!) this place totally floats my boat! I got to watch some amazing footage of James Dean before he became a movie star, some classic episodes of The Twilight Zone, even a bit of good old Charlie Brown. Just type in what you fancy watching and it's most certainly there in the archives. A great way to spend your afternoon and an opportunity to rest my travel weary feet. Also, I'd like to mention the staff, everyone really took their time to explain what the place was all about, and you can easily see how passionate they are about their work. Absolutely brilliant way to spend your afternoon!!

1  Thank MsNTL
Reviewed 24 February 2013

Outstanding venue to see old Movies, clips, TV Radio! Unique attraction in NYC At any given time one can witness people from all over the Planet sitting @ monitors laughing heads off. i got so caught up in the spirit i was asked to be quieter with my responses. Lots of events go on @ the Paley center, formerly called Museum of Broadcasting! Located right off 5th avenue, the center was recently renovated. A real NYC treat & not that well known to tourists! I recommend this attraction highly! a slight fee for admission, well worth $10. you will need a few hours to go through all maybe days of revisits! all will love this great place!

1  Thank Marilyn b
Reviewed 2 February 2013

I joined the Paley Center in NYC because they advertised daily programming of classic TV in their downstairs theater, but they do NOT deliver. I looked forward to seeing selections of classic TV like Playhouse 90, Andy Williams, Martin & Lewis, Flip Wilson, Julie Andrews specials, Paul Lynde specials, more variety shows and classic comedy. But their programming turned out to be the same shows every day--including a dated clip package with Marlo Thomas. When I asked the front desk about the repetitive programs, they apologized about poor presentation and had no idea why it's done that way. I called Erin Frederick, the Director of Events & Membership, but she had no understanding of the issue. It's a shame when the center has so many resources and a lovely theater. Someone would love to put together fun programs even for free. As it stands, the Museum feels dead and useless whenever I visit. Erin Frederick may be too lazy or unequipped to make good programming even with thousands of shows at her fingertips.

3  Thank denisereiss