“Average food ... an obligatory tip... and a nagging waiter!”
Review of La Mediterranee

Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Midtown
Cross street: East 50th Street
New York City, New York
“Average food ... an obligatory tip... and a nagging waiter!”
Reviewed 6 April 2014

My food was okay: a small steak with abundant fries, which were too thinly sliced and too dry and crunchy for my liking. But what I really disliked was the waiter who was overly "attentive": He would pop up and interrupt us every other minute to ask us if we were ready to order, and later to collect our dishes before we finished, etc. He was also a bit bossy, too: When I told him I wanted my steak well done, he rolled his eyes, saying: "Well done or medium?", and when I repeated "Well done", he rolled his eyes again, saying: "No good, but it' up to you!". Moreover, my flat, non-fizzy coke was $4: the highest I've paid for a soda in a non-fancy restaurant, I think. And at the end, after having decided to pay a lower-than-usual tip, as a reflection of our dissatisfaction, we realized that we didn't even have this luxury, because tips were pre-set! This I think is rude, arrogant customer service. I thought a tip is supposed to be a voluntary gratuity: the customer's way of showing their appreciation or lack thereof of the service received, and that its higher or lower amount should come to reflect that. Thus, forcing a set amount on the customers is definitely in bad taste. Never again!

Visited April 2014

Fort Worth, Texas
“Old New York Charm/great food and service”
Reviewed 29 March 2014

We were given a gift certificate to La Mediterranee because our friend wanted us to experience what New York was like before the chains and "cute" little eateries took over.
When we walked in, we were greeted by the owner, Ernesto Morel, who has owned the restaurant for over 30 years. In the background was Harold, the piano player who has been with him for pretty much the same period, and who played popular and Broadway tunes, softly, in the background. As an added bonus, we were seated next to Muriel Seibert, who I like to say was the Rosa Parks of Wall Street. (Google her, she was amazing!).
We had wonderful food and a great experience. When we returned 3 months later, (we live in Texas) the experience and food was just as good, but we sat at the bar and had wine and appetizers.
While at the bar, we had a lovely conversation with Ernesto. He expressed concern that while his food and service have remained excellent, his customers, the middle class patrons, are being priced out of the market and leaving the neighborhood.
I told him that it would be a shame to lose such a wonderful restaurant due to changing demographics and that I used Trip Advisor to find unique dining opportunities and he could benefit as well.
My advice to you is to go, enjoy, and say hello to Ernesto and Harold.

Visited March 2014
Newport, Rhode Island
“Very nice and cozy”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Had dinner here Saturday . They have a nice prix fixe menu and a wine list that is short but affordable. The food was tasty and the environment was small and warm. There was a man playing piano and at one point a man seated for dinner got up a sang beautifully ! The dessert soufflé is not to be missed.

• Visited January 2014
new haven, ct
“Still Cooking and Still Good”
Reviewed 22 December 2013

I used to come to this restaurant often when in NYC and over the past decade or so forgot about it. In the city with friends this weekend we were walking on 2nd looking for a restaurant and there it was, still there, with the same great prix fixe menu, same décor, same bistro atmosphere (I do believe that Harold the pianist was not there way back when however - the piano bar appellation is new to me), Prices do not seem to have skyrocketed - the prix fixe menu is still a great deal - and if anything the food seemed even better. Three of us had the steak and it was very good. One had risotto with duck confit and mushrooms (great) and one had the penne (excellent). Two had chocolate soufflés which they pronounced wonderful. The crème brulee was good - not too sweet nor starchy as some can be - and the soups were great.

Service was a little slow. I believe this was for us to enjoy each other's company however. The place got very crowded and we were not at all rushed.

• Visited December 2013
Buenos Aires
“A very nice French restaurant”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

In our several visits to New York we always try to eat onceat this restaurant . Of course there are hundreds of restaurants in the Big Apple, certainly many others catering for French food, which we do not know, but after several good experiences and being in the neighbourhood, we sticked to this one. The place is small, with an intimate look, the menu is reasonably priced (at least for New York) with varied courses and they have an excellent wine list, including several French labels and also Australian Shyraz and Argentine Malbec. The atmosphere is relaxed, the service efficient.

• Visited May 2013