“Definitely more than 2 star hotel - nicely surprised!”

Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge
Ranked #344 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 1 March 2014

I chose this hotel for our second visit to NYC only because it had pretty good ratings, breakfast, free wifi and was located in lower Manhattan. We arrived well before the check in time and we were given a room straightaway on the 8th floor. I wanted higher but they told me about the renovations on higher floors. I asked for a room with a some kind of city view and we got this clean, spacious room with a lovely view of the city on the right and the bridge on the left - absolutely brilliant. The room was big with nice bathroom and very relaxing shower. The only thing they could improve was the breakfast. It was so so but was free and it set you up for a day. The room was very warm considering temperatures outside -10 C. For the first two nights we actually had AC on :) but it was nice coming back tired and frozen to this warm, cosy room. One more thing - the bed is really high and I found it funny but very comfortable. Overall, for 2 star hotel not bad :)

Room Tip: Ask for a free upgrade to a room on higher floors with a city view. Staff is very polite and kinda c...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Joannanancyh
Gwen L, General Manager at Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your kind review. I will certainly share it with my staff. We will brainstorm ways to improve our breakfast while still meeting the Comfort Inn brand standards. We are very excited about the 17 rooms that are being added to the top two floors of the hotel. The views from those rooms at stunning! The carpet is being installed currently and then we will be installing the furniture, TVs, etc and should have them ready to rent in the next month. You will enjoy it the next time you stay with us.

All the best,

Reviewed 15 February 2014

My husband and I got to the hotel super early in the morning and the reception Shawn greeted us and helped us check in and sign us up for the choice hotel membership. Shawn was very friendly. Our room is a queen size bed unit. It is very clean and cozy. The bathroom looks brand new. So far I am loving it. We will stay here again for sure!!!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Shuk-Kuen C

It is so wonderful to hear you enjoyed your stay with us at the Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge. I will certainly share your review with Shawn and the rest of my team. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed 6 February 2014

We stayed at the hotel Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge during 22nd and 29th January 2014.

Overall the stay was reasonably ok, but we were very disappointed with the extension of extra floors being built at the hotel during our stay, the "consistant drilling and banging" starting from 8.00am and most evenings carried on later than 6.00pm. Our room was on the 8th floor level which was very close (floor 11 & 12) to the noise and made it unbearable.

When we returned every day to the hotel around 3.30pm for a rest after an exhausting sightseeing day, we encountered this noise and had to leave the hotel to get some peace.
This was very inconvenient since it was very cold outside at that time of the year, as you can appreciate and we were cold and tired.

This was never mentioned before booking our reservation or when checking in otherwise we would have have stayed at another hotel.
We never got any apologies from any member of staff. I think for this inconvenience that we experienced we should be compensated.

Before booking, check that the building works has been completed.
The room was clean, good bed/pillows and breakfast was reasonably good.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank giospiteri
Gwen L, General Manager at Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2014

We appreciate you staying with us and taking the time to review our hotel. Thank you for the feedback on the construction noise. The noisiest part of the project has been completed as some walls were removed and then rebuilt. I will certainly share your comments with the contractor and remind them that work can only be done between 9am - 5pm. I will also follow up with my team on guest service, especially during this time of construction. Please contact me at the phone number or email below so I can properly take care of you concern. We hope you will stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 10 January 2014 via mobile

I am beyond amazed that this hotel has this kind of rating.
We arrived at 12pm well before the check in time of 3 PM, which is what I was aware of. We walk to the front desk and the very first thing the guest service agent says is "can't check in until 3"...no "Hi how are you" or "welcome"..just shows how much satisfaction the staff gets out of saying no to a guest.
Check into the room, and while the room is nice, and clean, we can't help ignore the very loud drilling and banging above us. I call the front desk to inquire and they say "oh I'm sorry they will be done at 5pm"...ok...why wasn't I told about this at check in?? In fact I thought it was NY state law to at least inform guests when they arrive that renovations could directly affect a guest in house. Which of course I will follow up on.
Next morning around 8am that's exactly what happened. Very loud drilling and banging woke us out of a dead sleep. I called the front desk and again was told that "there was nothing they could do, and suggested that I go do something while the work is being done" Excuse me?! Who is it anyone beside me to say that I may want to stay in my room for the day? Not them that's for sure.
Later in the evening I approach the night auditor for menus for a place that delivers late (this was at 130am) she said "nobody delivers" and gave me a phone number to walk to a pizza joint 4 miles away. Ok..I'm not from NY and even I know I had more options than that..low and behold I had steak subs delivered to me to my room via a 10 second google search, which the night auditor could have stood up and do for me if making the guest a priority which it clearly isn't.

Lastly, I go to the soda machine and it eats my money and there is not another machine in the hotel. Night auditor refused to give me my money back because there was a sign posted on the side..again...the side of the machine. Aparantely this hotel really needed to steal my $2.

DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL. The staff are self centered and oblivious and do not keep guest service in mind as saying "there's nothing I can do" is a big no no to me but obviously not them
Multiple renovations will inhibit every second of your stay as you can not sleep past 8am with no warning from the desk at check in.

This is by far the worst Choice Hotel
I have ever stayed in. Stay away.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Cityfolk2244
Gwen L, General Manager at Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 22 January 2014

I feel terrible for the experience you had at my hotel. What you experienced is truly unacceptable. I appreciate your observations, so we can improve. I will be speaking to my staff immediately. The hotel is expanding and adding 17 additional rooms to the top two floors of the building. There are about a week and a half of demolition that was noisey, especially on the higher floors. The construction is being done from 10am - 5pm to limit the distraction to our guests. The work is much quieter now and not being done in guest areas. I sincerely apologize for all that you encountered at my hotel. Please contact me at 212-925-1212 or Gwen.Lytle@InterstateHotels.com so we can resolve this with you.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Stayed one night at this hotel and loved it. We booked two rooms and arrived early on the morning of December 30th, after an overnight flight. Even though check in time wasn't officially until 4PM they got us one room immediately so we could go and have a lie down and freshen up before heading out to explore the Chinatown area.

The rooms were a good size and very comfortable. Very nice breakfast included, which is served in the lobby are.

Would absolutely recommend this hotel. Staff are great, location is tremendous, and the rooms were very nice.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Andrew F

We are so excited to hear you had such a great stay at the Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge. You were here for a very exciting time in NYC. Thank you so much for staying with us and taking the time to review our hotel. We look forward to your next stay with us.

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Arriving in the area and looking at the exterior of the building, I was reluctant to stay and really was not sure what to expect. The staff were very friendly and helpful at check-in and that first impression made a big difference.

The room was clean, adequately spacious and well appointed. The bathroom was clean as well. I mostly stayed in my room but did venture out a few times, as I was there on business.

The complimentary breakfast and WiFi were a huge plus.

Throughout my entire stay the staff proved to be very efficient and helpful and the manager on duty was very accommodating.

I would definitely return to this hotel. Thank you team!

Room Tip: Choose a room with natural lighting in the bathroom.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for sharing your experience about our hotel. I am glad it met your needs for business travel. We appreciate your feedback. Curb appeal is certainly challenging in the very Urban setting we are in. We appreciate you giving us a try. We hope to see you again the next time you are in NYC.

Reviewed 10 December 2013

This was our second time staying here, and it won't be the last. It's hard to beat the location. When I told the desk staff I used to live on the UES and he asked what brought me all the way down there, my response was "Most every place we want to eat or drink in is within walking distance." Not much of an exaggeration: East Village, SoHo, TriBeCa, etc. And speaking of the front desk, everyone was very friendly and helpful on both stays. The rooms are fine - small, functional and clean. No clue about breakfast - keep getting distracted by Russ & Daughters et al. Good subway access, too.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Gwen L, General Manager at Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

I love your story about the food in the area. There are so many wonderful restaurants in our area and the pricing and service is better than midtown. I truly enjoy exploring all the amazing restaurants in the area and have never been disappointed. I will certainly share your kind words with the staff. We appreciate you staying with us and taking the time to review our hotel.

All the best!