“A great find at great price!”

Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge
Ranked #335 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 16 October 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Manhattan Bridge Comfort Inn for six nights in October. When I first told our son, who lives in Manhattan, that I had made reservations at Chinatown hotel for $125.99 a night he thought I should cancel it. I told him we had traveled to China and so I didn't think it would be worse that that (we liked China very much by the way) and he said I might be surprised. This was was a great place to stay and my son even thought it was a great find by the end of our trip. The room was small, but very comfortable. They are doing construction in the streets in the area and the first night when we returned to the hotel there were construction lights a jackhammer breaking up the street. We were a little worried, but it wasn't all that loud in our room on the sixth floor and they stopped around 10:30. This only happened one night The staff was very helpful and the computers in the lobby were great for checking email and printing out boarding pass when it was time to leave. Breakfast consisted of toast, muffins, donuts, bagels, waffles, fruit, hard boiled eggs, juice, coffee, tea and milk.

My only complaint is the fire alarms. Yes, they do go off. If someone takes a shower, doesn't turn on the bathroom vent, and leaves the bathroom door open, the steam makes the smoke detector that is outside the bathroom door go off. This happened five of the six mornings we were there and twice during the night. It only buzzes a short time so they must have some way of turning it off. My concern was how we would know if the alarm was real and not just from steam. It seems like this is a problem the hotel staff could easily solve if they would put some kind of notice in the room or warn people when they check in.

The streets in the neighborhood are busy and a little smelly (there are fish markets, fruit and vegetable stands, etc) but we loved the hustle and bustle and felt very safe. It is a neighborhood where real New Yorkers live so things quiet down at night.

The hotel is close to subway stops and has several restaurants within walking distance that we really enjoyed. There is a Sichuan hot pot restaurant just around the corner on Canal Street that was fantastic. We have visited the Sichuan province of China and the food was authentic and great, if you like really spicy food. They only accept cash. Afterwards, go to the Chinatown Ice Cream Factory about two blocks away for some fantastic ice cream that will help put the fire out!

North of the hotel on Christie Street is a great dumpling restaurant and a door or two north of that is a place that has a great $2.50 lunch special. Every time we went past there was a line out the door. We ate there once. The pork is great.

If you want to find a good restaurant in the area just look in and see if the locals are eating there.

Little Italy is about three blocks away and there were great Italian restaurants there.

If you are catching a taxi from LaGuardia, tell the cabby to take the BQE to the Williamsburg Bridge. We didn't know this on our first trip and when asked how to get to the hotel I told him to take the fastest way. The driver took us over a toll bridge and through a lot of traffic. The fare was over $40. On the way back our son told us how to go and the fare was only $21.50.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travel_loving_gal

Reviewed 13 October 2009

New building. Clean hotel with nicely appointed rooms, comfortable beds, flat-screen TVs, lots of cable channels (inc. HBO), great shower, etc. Two computers available in lobby with free Internet access. Friendly and helpful staff. Typical free Comfort Inn breakfast--lots of carbs (pastries, waffles, cereal, etc.) and not much else. Location in Chinatown was very interesting, but the dirty sidewalks and occasional trash might be off-putting to some. My only complaint was that the subway was about a 20-minute walk away. Overall, an excellent value and I'll stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2009
Reviewed 10 October 2009

Convenient locoatio, easy access to China town, Little Italy, and subway.

Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 October 2009

The hotel was a great price. I totally shopped around and this was by far the least expensive. My room had a great view of the beautiful Manhattan Bridge. It's right in Chinatown, a few blocks from Little Italy & near a subway. Rooms were very clean & new and complimentary breakfast with a huge variety of food.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank ssokocat
Reviewed 6 October 2009

Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge opened in 2008 and is, at this time of writing, still new and clean. It's a small hotel (60 rooms) with 12 floors in China Town. The only facilities are the reception, a breakfast corner and 2 "free to use" computers. It's an affordable hotel in New York. Breakfast is included, but there are only 4 tables (and 2 more available, no lie, in a utility room). If you'r satisfied with coffee, juice and some breadproducts, you'll be fine. Rooms are, compared to New York standard, pretty spacious. 1 or 2 queen size beds (comfortably high, I think) and a coffee/tea making facility. Advice to book a room from floor 8th and up, due to outside noise and a possible blind wall. Disadvantage (personal experience) is the neighboorhood China Town you'r in. Busy and unclean and not being directly "downtown". But (2 blocks down) you'll find metro B en D nearby. +/- 20 minutes from i.e 5th Avenue/42nd Street. Restaurant TIP: Tick Tock Diner, 24/7 open underneath hotel The New Yorker (8th AVE/34 Street, metro A C E). TIP: Step away from Manhattan and visit Brooklyn! Only 1 metro stop from the hotel to reach Brooklyn. Get off metro Clark Street en walk to the Promenade, BEAUTIFUL view of downtown Manhattan!. Brooklyn has historic homes en gives you some positive small town feeling. Walk further down to Montague street (end of the Promenade). Walk back to Manhattan over the Brooklyn Bridge, nice experience. Left side of the bridge you'll find South Street Seaport: shops, boat tours en and some nice restaurants.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 September 2009

The hotel wasn't open yet at the time of booking, but I figured I couldn't go wrong: a fresh new hotel together with an acceptable pricetag.

After a while the first reviews were published here on Tripadvisor, and some people thought the area was a bit of a downturn. Well, after having stayed in Midtown a week earlier, I thought this was a fun alternative!

The hotel itself is basic, but very much up to modern standards: free internet computers, complementary breakfast, good ac in the room and nice flatscreen (but no fridge). Staff was helpfull and the luggage storage on our last day well organised. The size of the bed was a problem for me (way too small).

My worry is how this hotel will look in a couple of years when it's not new anymore. When I had to move the sofa in the room to pick something up, I got the impression I was the first person to ever move it. Lot of dirt underneath. There was also a pill on the floor between the bedside table and the bed. Bit more attention to detail please!

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple