“Great value”

Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge
Ranked #335 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 31 October 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Comfort Inn Manhattan Bridge for a couple of nights in early October. We get a corporate discount through Choice Hotels and were able to get this hotel for a rate well below other hotels in Manhattan ($120 per night). The hotel just opened a few months ago, so the room was very clean and nice. We got a room with a queen sized bed and thought the room was big for NYC standards. The bed was really comfy, but high, and there is a nice flat screen TV in the room. The bathroom is plenty big and we didn't have any problems with the fire alarms as some of the others have.

The continental breakfast suited us just fine. There are plenty of choices and it was a good start to our day before we headed out to explore the town.

The location is good. Our room overlooked the Manhattan Bridge and an area park. It was fun to look out the window every morning and see the locals walking around the track! We loved being in the Chinatown area, which was an area where we'd never stayed in NYC. Two different subway stops are just a few blocks from the hotel, so it was pretty easy to get around town. One night, on our way home, we got takeout from a couple of places that had been recommended on TA - Excellent Dumpling House and Dragonland Bakery. Yum!

We would have preferred to be in the midtown area, but would definitely stay at this hotel again for the difference in price.

Reviewed 19 October 2009

After researching multiple hotels in NYC (many with complaints of bed bugs) I found this Comfort Inn. The reviews were all great and add to that the newness of the hotel I was sold. The hotel is on the edge of Chinatown so you'll get the full experience driving to it. The staff is great and knowledgeable about the area and directing you to subway stops, etc. The hotel is very clean and well managed. The rooms as expected were small but it was enough space for the two of us. They are nicely decorated, bathroom with modern fixtures and a divine shower head I would have taken home if I could.

The only complaint I have would be the fire alarm that would go off at random times. It wasn't the full blown alarm and not terribly loud- never woke up my husband. Also, our window over looked Chrystie street which made it really loud but I also expected it to be loud in NY all the time so can't really complain about that. You get used to the honking and car alarms after a while.

The price was exactly what we wanted to pay as well. Under $200 which was also a hard find in NY for a hotel as nice.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 October 2009

The location of this hotel is in Chinatown. While not as glamorous as Midtown, the area is an excellent starting point to explore the whole of Manhattan. The hotel lies central to areas like South Street Seaport, Financial District, Greenwich Village, Brooklyn Heights and Union Square which can by easily reached by subway. Midtown and Upper Manhattan also take relatively short metro rides to reach. Chinatown itself is a busy, hectic and sometimes smelly place, but all in all very safe and packed with cheap restaurants which serve great food for not much money. Trick is to go where the locals go and not let the exterior and interior of those places put you off. A ten minute walk will also get you to SoHo where you'll find great shops and good restaurants (must-go for pizza-lovers: Lombardi's). I'd advise everyone to not let the location put you off whilst deciding whether to book at this hotel. Chinatown is safe, central and cheap!

Our room itself was very good. It wasn't too big but certainly not tiny either. The room was cleaned very well on a daily-base and the private bathroom was spacious and modern. The flatscreen TV also worked really well. The bed was a bit too soft for my liking, but that's personal of course. We experienced the already described "fire-alarm" problem once, though we must admit it was our own fault.

The complimentary breakfast exists of muffins, donuts, bread, bagels, waffels, eggs and cereal. While not extremely varied, it gives you a good base to explore the city till lunchtime. The breakfast area was a bit small, but we never had to wait for a place to sit even though the hotel was fully booked on almost all our nights.

The service by the hotel employees is the only thing I can think of to complain about. Except for one nice door-guy who opened the door for us and wished us a good day, we were never really recognised by any of the staff and were only greeted after we greeted them. Some of the door-guys were often found to be on their cell-phones or on the free-internet computers instead of next to the door. The girls behind the reception seemed very shy and incapable of saying hello unless triggered by our greetings.

All in all, this hotel is great value for money and I would definitely recommend it. We paid $900 (including all the taxes) for 6 nights. We feel that this amount was really worth the visit.

Reviewed 16 October 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Manhattan Bridge Comfort Inn for six nights in October. When I first told our son, who lives in Manhattan, that I had made reservations at Chinatown hotel for $125.99 a night he thought I should cancel it. I told him we had traveled to China and so I didn't think it would be worse that that (we liked China very much by the way) and he said I might be surprised. This was was a great place to stay and my son even thought it was a great find by the end of our trip. The room was small, but very comfortable. They are doing construction in the streets in the area and the first night when we returned to the hotel there were construction lights a jackhammer breaking up the street. We were a little worried, but it wasn't all that loud in our room on the sixth floor and they stopped around 10:30. This only happened one night The staff was very helpful and the computers in the lobby were great for checking email and printing out boarding pass when it was time to leave. Breakfast consisted of toast, muffins, donuts, bagels, waffles, fruit, hard boiled eggs, juice, coffee, tea and milk.

My only complaint is the fire alarms. Yes, they do go off. If someone takes a shower, doesn't turn on the bathroom vent, and leaves the bathroom door open, the steam makes the smoke detector that is outside the bathroom door go off. This happened five of the six mornings we were there and twice during the night. It only buzzes a short time so they must have some way of turning it off. My concern was how we would know if the alarm was real and not just from steam. It seems like this is a problem the hotel staff could easily solve if they would put some kind of notice in the room or warn people when they check in.

The streets in the neighborhood are busy and a little smelly (there are fish markets, fruit and vegetable stands, etc) but we loved the hustle and bustle and felt very safe. It is a neighborhood where real New Yorkers live so things quiet down at night.

The hotel is close to subway stops and has several restaurants within walking distance that we really enjoyed. There is a Sichuan hot pot restaurant just around the corner on Canal Street that was fantastic. We have visited the Sichuan province of China and the food was authentic and great, if you like really spicy food. They only accept cash. Afterwards, go to the Chinatown Ice Cream Factory about two blocks away for some fantastic ice cream that will help put the fire out!

North of the hotel on Christie Street is a great dumpling restaurant and a door or two north of that is a place that has a great $2.50 lunch special. Every time we went past there was a line out the door. We ate there once. The pork is great.

If you want to find a good restaurant in the area just look in and see if the locals are eating there.

Little Italy is about three blocks away and there were great Italian restaurants there.

If you are catching a taxi from LaGuardia, tell the cabby to take the BQE to the Williamsburg Bridge. We didn't know this on our first trip and when asked how to get to the hotel I told him to take the fastest way. The driver took us over a toll bridge and through a lot of traffic. The fare was over $40. On the way back our son told us how to go and the fare was only $21.50.

1  Thank travel_loving_gal
Reviewed 13 October 2009

New building. Clean hotel with nicely appointed rooms, comfortable beds, flat-screen TVs, lots of cable channels (inc. HBO), great shower, etc. Two computers available in lobby with free Internet access. Friendly and helpful staff. Typical free Comfort Inn breakfast--lots of carbs (pastries, waffles, cereal, etc.) and not much else. Location in Chinatown was very interesting, but the dirty sidewalks and occasional trash might be off-putting to some. My only complaint was that the subway was about a 20-minute walk away. Overall, an excellent value and I'll stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2009
Reviewed 10 October 2009

Convenient locoatio, easy access to China town, Little Italy, and subway.

Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 8 October 2009

The hotel was a great price. I totally shopped around and this was by far the least expensive. My room had a great view of the beautiful Manhattan Bridge. It's right in Chinatown, a few blocks from Little Italy & near a subway. Rooms were very clean & new and complimentary breakfast with a huge variety of food.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with friends