“A great location and very comfortable”

Radio City Apartments
Reviewed 19 May 2010

My wife and I had been to New York for a few days several years ago and stayed in a big hotel with just about the smallest rooms you could imagine. This time we decided that because were staying for 10 days we'd like a bit more room and preferably an apartment with kitchen facilities. We came across Radio City Apartments on the internet and found that, from a location point of view, it was ideal - right in the heart of mid-town Manhattan, close to Times Square, theatres and the subway and within our price range. Our 4th floor apartment had two double beds which were nice and firm, a separate lounge with a sofa bed, kitchen and bathroom with a good supply of towels. There was a fair bit of outside noise coming in from air conditioning units in neighboring buildings and we wondered if it might be less noisy on the upper floors. Our room was cleaned each day and when we had a problem with the plumbing it was quickly rectified while we were out. The basement laundry was another plus. Tea and coffee making were provided each day and we were able to make our own breakfast thanks to the adequate kitchen. The counter staff were helpful in locating subway stations, supermarkets, restaurants etc. and there were plenty of maps and brochures available in the lobby. Radio City Apartments are not grand by any means and they are showing their age but they are clean and comfortable and very affordable, especially when considering how much it costs to stay in a Manhattan hotel with less room and no other facilities.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank massagebill

Reviewed 4 May 2010

I was booked at R.C.A for 4 nights in mid April. I ended up staying for 8 as I was stranded by the volcanic ash disaster.
I have lost count of the number of times I have stayed here and have never been disappointed. Room as usual clean and well maintained with great kitchen. Staff all helpful especially making me feel so at home when my flights were cancelled. I'm so glad I was able to stay on at the apartments, as it really is a home from home. Rates are good value and the location cannot be beaten. Subway, restaurants, theaters and shops all a stroll away, as is Rockefeller Center and Central Park.
There is now also direct dial phones at extremely good rates from the room, so no more fuss with phone cards or mobiles that won't work.
The only thing I can suggest to improve this wonderful place would be to have a toaster in the kitchen!
Ten out of ten from me as always.

Stayed: April 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank merrijen
Reviewed 1 May 2010

I got a discounted rate on this place and it was well worth it. Great location, clean, complete amenities! It felt like we had our own studio apartment in Manhattan complete with kitchenette for cooking, big ref, even liquid soap to wash the dishes. The rooms were very clean and even though the elevator was slow, it doesn't discount my rating. Free wifi too! Overall great stay, hassle free!! Highly recommend.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank kefi_voyageur
Reviewed 26 April 2010

I travelled to new york for the first time with two friends and after much trawling over the internet chose radio city apartments #1 for location #2 for price #3 it was an apartment. we arrived early but the very helpful guys on reception organised a different apartment for us as our assigned one was not ready. this is a no frills place, ie. no bar restaurant etc. however rooms are spotless and the cleaning staff really do have to be commended. everyday our apart was cleaned spotless, fresh coffee etc left every day. It was fantastic to have a bedroom plus living area separate. I have read reviews where people had not so good comments about the reception staff, to be honest I don't know where that came from, the guys were more than helpful with any questions we had. the location is just perfect. you really are in the middle of it all. seriously it's a 5 min walk to the ticket booth for half price broadway tickets. While there I went to see billy elliott..... fantastic.... tickets were a bargain at $60 each. To finish I have to say I would very highly recommend radio city apartments. have trip booked to go back in december :)

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 April 2010

I traveled to NYC with 7 friends and it was the first time any of us had stayed at the Radio City Apartments. We loved it!!!! We had two rooms (8F & 8J) on the 8th floor that were so spacious. It was nice to have the bedroom separate from the living room/kitchenette area. There was a tv in each room. We were happy to find that the kitchenette had bowls, glasses, silverwarea tea kettle, and a coffee maker w/ coffee, besides the all the appliances. Our living room in 8F was roomier than our friends in 8J, but their bedroom was bigger than ours. I imagine all the layouts are a little different. We didn't have a view from our room, but in 8J they could see the M&M store in Times Square. The rooms were clean when we arrived and cleaned each day. We always had plenty of towels - soft and thick. We never had to wait long for the elevators (there are 2). I liked the historic touches - stained glass windows, iron railings, crown molding. All parts of the building were clean, in fact we thought the halls and elevators smelled clean, like Ivory soap. The people at the front desk were great. They gave us two rooms on the same floor and held our luggage after check-out time while we went out to have lunch/shop before we needed to leave the airport. The location was wonderful! We were 1 1/2 blocks from Rockefeller Center and 1/2 block from Times Square. There was a subway station on the corner. We easily flagged down taxis right in front. We ate at Hale and Hearty Soup across the street - it was really good. There were Italian, Indian, Japanese, and seafood restaurants right on the same street. Magnolia Bakery was at the end of the block - delicious cupcakes! We will definitely stay here from now on when we go back and recommend it to our friends and family. It would be a great place to stay with children as well!

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 April 2010

My adult daughter and I stayed at Radio City Apartments. We LOVED this hotel/apartment. The front desk was able to direct us to whatever we wanted in NYC, the location was PERFECT, our kitchen made it easy to keep snacks and drinks on hand, the bed was very comfortable. I can't think of a thing that wasn't included for us. Radio City Apartments even supplied us with coffee, sugar, creamer, dishwashing detergent, and paper towels! Our full kitchen had all the plates, cups, glasses, pots and pans, and even a kitchen drying towel and sponge. The room was extremely quiet and we had our own window unit a/c heater.

Don't forget that the neighborhood is perfect, too. We tried a number of places for food, but our favorite (!) was next door at Pasta Lovers. The bar manager (with cool shoes) was attentive, welcoming, and knew our "usual" on the second night we went in. Ask for Mike as a waiter; he will be the best waitor you encounter in New York City.

We ate one night at Bella Napoli, a couple of doors away, but were not impressed. Ruby Foo's is close by, but we were not impressed with their food either. Forget Hawaiian Trop, a bar nearby. Their food and drinks were awful; we sent food back two times and still didn't get any service/food/tolerable drinks. PAX is great for breakfast.

If you stay here, you are within easy walking distance of Rockefeller Center and Times Square. If you have any interest in the Today show, know that limos for the guests line up on West 48th Street (between 4th and 5th Avenues) and you can catch a glimpse of the guests as they exit the show.

There is a ticket booth on Rockefeller Plaza that sells combo tickets ($30 total) to TOP OF THE ROCK and MOMA. The price is excellent and both are "must see" for everyone visiting. I highly recommend that you visit both places, as they are top notch for NYC. We also did the "See It All Tour" that is offered by OnBoard Tours and it was wonderful. It is worth twice the cost, and will give you a chance to see lots of things in the 5 1/2 hours.

Also, be sure to check out the online version of New York Magazine to see what's hot for the time period you plan to visit.

Bottom line... Radio City Apartments is in the middle of everything you may want to see. It is quiet, and the staff there think of everything you might want or need for the visit. I will definitely stay there on my next visit. Please feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank Westgalady
Reviewed 19 April 2010

Flew out from London Heathrow with Virgin Atlantic to JFK and got the Supershuttle direct to the hotel (very fast, a little too quick for some!) - after extensive research on Google street view I was very familiar with the location. The hotel is well-worn but in a good way, everything works and they fix it quickly if not (they leave a small form in your room for that). The lifts are creaky (the stairs an option if you are fit!) but fine. I shared a studio apartment (6th floor) with my wife and my teenage kids had another to themselves (7th floor!). We could ring between rooms for no cost. The rooms were spacious with a kitchenette (minimal utensils - but who cooks on holiday in NYC!) and en suite (no bath just shower) - plenty of towels, changed daily plus miniature shower wash/ soap. Wall mounted TV with cable channels. A safety deposit box is available at no charge (long thin box, a bit like the type you see in movies) - they keep one key and you keep the other, you can only open them with both keys. The hotel is very close to Time Square, literally 5 minutes walk from the hotel. One piece of advice, get a MetroCard (for the subway and buses) this cost us US$27 each for a 7-day pass - even though we were only there for 4 days it was by far the cheapest option for travel. As far as places to go/ what to do in New York - Staten island Ferry (free !), Ground Zero, Empire State Building (night time is best queues are at their shortest), Bloomingdales (got for frozen yoghurt at '40 Carrots' cafe on 7th floor, don't bother with Macy's its disappointing), FAO Schwartz, Apple Store (on Fifth Av), Times Square (manic!), Central Park (the 50 minute horse & carriage ride is a must), Rockefeller Centre, Brooklyn Bridge (walk over to DUMBO - Down Under Brooklyn Manhattan Overpass to the park for iconic views), Grand Central Station, Guggenheim Museum (even my teenagers thought this was good), open air bar in Bryant park, Trump Tower (just because its a funny name !), any open air hot dog stand (yes they are disgusting buts its New York) and Pastrami on Rye (a movie snadwich that is actually better than its sounds). Four days is enough but now I want to go back !

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with family