“Great location, but poor service”

The French Quarters Guest Apartments
Ranked #18 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 10 August 2011

We stayed four nights at the French Quarters Guest Apartments over Eastern, and had a rather pleasant stay.

The best thing with the hotel is its location, right on the Restaurant Row. After long days of exploring NYC, it is conveniently located for easily stepping out for a dinner to any of the restaurants on the same street or around the block.

The King room we had (#207) was exactly as the pictures on the homepage. It was very clean, spacious enough, and the bed was amazing. Although facing the Restaurant Row, it wasn’t at all as noisy as I thought it might be. Both my husband and I slept well. This room though is not for somebody who cannot manage steep stairs, as it is located in the Townhouse building, without elevator (see attached pictures).

The reason I am not giving this hotel the best ratings, is mainly due to their poor service. The receptionist wasn’t particularly friendly upon arrival or when leaving, and the breakfast personnel was everything but service-minded (one lady was actually quite rude). A smile and a friendly clause would have done much!

Also when we arrived after a long overseas trip, it took them a long time to bring us the in-room drinks we ordered. We called back more than an hour later to see if they forgot about it (which they probably had). During our stay, the bar personnel also managed to invoice us incorrectly twice.

On top of it all, the last morning of our stay, there was a Chinese family suddenly entering our room, whilst we were still in bed. Apparently the reception didn’t know we were still there...

Concerning the breakfast, it was very basic. Moreover, every morning we went there, they were out of either croissants, yoghurt, bananas or the coffee.

Irrespective of the fuss we encountered, the hotel felt safe, and it had an interesting interior design and look to it.

A nice touch in the hotel was a kind-of “daily programme”, which they stuck under the door early every morning. This leaflet had information about daily events, theatres and weather.

To summarise: The plusses were the actual room and the location, and the minuses the poor service and breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank AnneBear
There are newer reviews for The French Quarters Guest Apartments

Reviewed 8 August 2011

This is a rave review. The service here is beyond outstanding, the rooms are beautifully decorated, the beds are comfortable, it's all well appointed, immaculate. And the location for this theatre-goer is perfect. Good and reasonable restaurants are plentiful and within easy walking distance. And they are calling a town car to pick us up for an early am flight. The owner here got everything just right.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 30 July 2011

My husband and I were in town to see a show and stayed at the French Quarter. The room was awesome, clean and had a beautiful decor. The ding size bed was so COMFORTABLE!!!!! The staff.......Colin, Tori, John etc........was very nice and helpful. Delicious breakfast included........lovely setting. Location is right on restaurant row and close to the theater district!!!! Make sure and check out "Don't Tell Mama" piano bar across the street.......FUN place.

Room Tip: We stayed in a King room with exposed brick wall. Bathroom tiled from floor to ceiling! Beautiful...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 July 2011

I tried to make reservations at the French Quarters Guest Apartments. I explained that I was coming to town for my grandmother's funeral and that my husband lost his dad 2 weeks ago. We asked if they could do better on the rate due to the circumstances of our trip. They were very accommodating at first, then when I mentioned that we were going to go see a show the manager, Colin called me up to tell me that he felt duped and suggested I find another place to stay, that I was no longer welcomed at the French Quarters Guest Apartments. I was stunned. After all I just lost my grandmother and explained that I did not dupe him that I was coming in for a funeral and that after everything my husband and I had been through in the last 2 weeks,we wanted a night to ourselves in the city. I hung up the phone in tears.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
31  Thank MediaMavenAtlatna
Reviewed 27 July 2011

My husband and I took our two children to NYC for the first time. So we were pleasantly surprised by the nice, safe location of the French Quarter Guest Apartments. The heat wave hit and the temperature was 104 for several days, but the A/C worked phenomenally! Exceptional value for very comfortale accomodations! Nicely decorated, very clean and the staff was extremely helpful. The Bourbon Street restaurant is attached and offers continental breakfast each morning as well as room service from their menu. Many restaurants on the same street and TImes Square is just a short walk away.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 July 2011

We returned to the French Quarters in the spring as my husband had a business meeting and, as always, had a great stay. The room was fabulous and the people are so friendly and helpful. We will definitely be back

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 July 2011

My wife and I like to go visit NYC 3 or 4 times a year to catch a show. We like to experience different hotels. This was the first time we stayed at The French Quarter Apartments which is one Restaurent Row. We got there around 13.30pm and Tori at the front desk was kind enough to hold our bags as the room was not ready yet. She was very pleasant and helpful. We caught an afternoon show( Spiderman!) and later had dinner on the balcony of the restaurant that is part of the apartments. Our room was comfortable and we had breakfast, which was included, on the terrace. We will be back!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple