The French Quarters Guest Apartments
Ranked #21 of 470 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 13 April 2014

* very clean
* very friendly and professional staff
* Very nice rooms and excellent bath rooms
* bar below is great to relax after a day in the city
* 5 minute walk from Times Square
* Would recommend to family & friends

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vickster-be
Write a ReviewReviews (1,167)

Reviewed 11 April 2014

Just stayed here for a work trip and our whole team was pleased. It's the perfect location for business or pleasure. It's right in the middle of everything but on a quiet street with plenty of restaurants to choose from. The rooms were very comfortable with quaint decor, and felt like a home away from home. The moment I arrived Colin (the general manager) was in the process of writing me a welcome note and knew my name immediately when I checked in. I travel a lot and stay in nice properties for work, and can absolutely recommend this as a perfect stay for NYC!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Sanderscdw
Reviewed 8 April 2014 via mobile

There's only one in New York and it's this one. Less than a minute away from all Broadway shows, Times Square and Transportation. Bounded by Eight Ave which shoots up north towards Central Park, Columbus Circle and the upper west side. Also bounded by Ninth Ave which will send you south to Chelsea Meatpackers, West Village and Tribeca. Just awesome! Our second time to this home away from home in Hells Kitchen which has all the restaurants you could dream of. The French Quarters has the best staff and I am going to give away a secret. If you tell them that you are friend on Facebook they will give you a discount. Don't bother with the large hotels and their bed bugs, book here and you'll never forget it. And please don't complain about noise, YOU ARE IN THE BIGGEST CITY IN THE WORLD!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Thegak
Reviewed 18 March 2014

This is my go-to when staying in New York for business or pleasure...solo or with family. As other guests have mentioned, the location, cleanliness, decor, breakfast, in-room fridge, coffee and microwave all contribute to a very comfortable visit, and honestly is expected. But from my first visit to my tenth, the staff has gone BEYOND the expected to make my stay truly outstanding. I will always choose The French Quarters.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank LoriB8591
Reviewed 13 March 2014

If you are having any doubts, don't. This a great manhattan hotel and this is coming from someone who travels to NYC regularly and has stayed at several different hotels. The location is great. A block and a half from Times Square. That being said, you are not in the middle of the chaos of Time Square which was mandatory for me. We booked one of the two bedroom suites which is perfect for a family. Two rooms, one shared living room with a sofa bed and one bathroom. Here are the pros/cons:

Pros: Location is amazing. A couple of blocks to almost any subway line in the city. Any foodies out there? You will love this place. On restaurant row in Hell's Kitchen. The rooms were very clean which is always the most important thing to me. I mean really, really clean. Very large balcony with a great view of the city. The beds were comfy and the free continental breakfast was good. The room was spacious as far as Manhattan goes. The staff overall was extremely attentive. See more in cons regarding a few issues we had.

Cons: Saturday night we could hear a bit of the noise from the bars. Not the hotel's fault, but something to consider. The rest of the nights we didn't hear much. We had a few other odd issues here and there 1) none of the remote controls worked initially in our room, but as soon as we told the front desk they come up with new ones 2) only one t.v. out of the three had all the cable channels advertised in the list of channels provided by the hotel. We reported this issue, but it was never resolved. 3) we had a strange noise coming from the pipes behind our restroom. This issue was resolved by the front desk and the staff was very apologetic and accommodating. John at the front desk is great!

Overall, our stay was great and we will definitely be back!!! I agonized over the right hotel to book since i was traveling with family and a 5 year old, I made the right choice!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank lovevacas
Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

Location: this hotel is on the 46th street, which is also called the restaurant row of Manhattan. It's around 2-5 minutes walk from the Times Square, but far enough to be away from the crowds. All of our city sightseeing tours could be accessed from here easily by foot so we found the location excellent.
Rooms: the rooms are clean, nicely furnished, with stylish decoration and pefectly working equipment (including fridge, kitchen sink, coffee machine with coffee and hot chocolate, ipod docker, hair dryer; dvd player, etc.). A home away from home practically.
Service: all of the staff members we met were very friendly and helpful all the time. The reception has a good selection of NY themed DVDs which they are happy to borrow you. We also got fresh newspapers and local tips each morning delivered to our room. Upon arrival we got immediately upgraded to a better type of room (king suite I believe it was) simply because it was available (certainly free of charge). Oh, and the breakfast was also fresh and a wide selection each day!
Cons: I was certainly also wondering, what could be the problem with this hotel then? The only issue that we found was the fact that it is located right on the top of a bar&restaurant (called Bourbon). This would mainly affect the rooms on the first floor, looking to the street - so I would suggest you to avoid threse rooms. The hotel has 3 floors, and on the first floor the following ones will be the good ones: 104, 105, 106 (these are still above the bar but not looking on the bar entrance on the street). If possible, book a room on the 2nd or 3rd floor instead, not looking on the street.
Overall: one of the best hotels on our US trip! Great service! We can only suggest this hotel!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jaynrsimha
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I booked this based on Trip Advisor reviews and I was not disappointed. Arriving early I was welcomed warmly. Monica at the front desk was very friendly and extremely helpful. I was escorted to my room once I'd checked in, shown the conveniences in my room then shown around the small...boutique style hotel. My particular room was "over the bar" and had a queen sized bed, TV, kitchenette which included a Keurig and an assortment of coffees, a built in hotplate and a small refrigerator and sink. The refrigerator had free bottled water and a couple of drinks which were supposed to be magic hangover potions haha. The room also had an ironing board, iron and blow dryer. The personal products provided were L'occitain. This location is about a block and a half from Times Square....close enough to walk yet far enough away from the constant crowds. Located in the heart of Restaurant Row, there were plenty of places to enjoy dinner. Kinky Boots theater is around the corner on 45th and Wicked was just a couple of blocks away. This location is absolutely perfect! I will say though, I was concerned about being over the bar and noise but didn't see anything on TA about that...if you are booking this particular room be aware that you will hear the music (especially over the weekend) from Bourbon St until about 3AM. I was so tired when I got in each night that it really didn't bother me but I thought this might be helpful information to you.

Lastly, since I flew in to JFK to save money, a taxi to mid-town this location is about $50+. The day I left Monica (at the front desk) wrote out step by step directions on how to take the subway and Air Trans to JFK which ended up costing me $7.50 rather than the $50+. She went over the directions a couple of times, then wrote them down and made sure I had her business card with telephone number in case I had any questions .... I felt like she went above and beyond to try to help me save money...I thank you Monica I made it :)

I would recommend this hotel to anyone and will book it again my next trip!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo