“Long time Favorite still has charm”

Russian & Turkish Baths
More attraction details
Owner description: Still offering the steam and sweat since 1892, these health spas are alive and well in New York where people get stretched, steamed and pounded as they relax and renew themselves.
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Went on a dare to this long time fixture on the lower east side. This was considered the immigrants schvitz or cure from hangovers, long days at work and a great spot to go with the boys to chill out. It still functions with large communal steam rooms and russians who "brush" you with leaves of some forest mystery to exfoliate you. IT is a funny place to be but afterwards ,especially on Sunday mornings, there is a feast available for purchase of herring, ,vodka and other old world european goodies. A truly memorable experience that I have repeated about every 5 years with some unsuspecting souls. A really fun time.

1  Thank Allan S

Reviewed 19 June 2014

AVOID THIS PLACE AT ALL POSSIBLE COST. I am Russian and this place is a disgrace to what's commonly known as a Russian bathhouse. THIS IS THE FILTHIEST venue I HAVE EVER VISITED IN MY ENTIRE LIFE. Everything smelled like s...t. The place looked like it has not been renovated in decades (probably since the Bolshevik Revolution). Steam rooms, saunas and shower cabins are so nasty that I was afraid to touch anything around me.This place is tiny and there is barely any space to move around; it gets very crowded during the evening hours, whether you're inside or outside on the deck so you cannot even normally sit down and relax. People on the deck openly smoked weed. The place was filled with some weirdos, hipsters and fellas who looked and acted like they belong to some spiritual cult. Horrifying experience for a normal human being. Lastly, the co-owner of this fine establishment -Dmitry- kept yelling out profanities throughout the entire time I was trying to relax and watch the World Cup game. I strongly suspect that any 4- or 5-star review of this place is fake. DO NOT EVER GO TO THIS DUMPSTER unless you have no respect for yourself or your hard-earned money

5  Thank Dmitry L
Reviewed 26 March 2014

We went there with my husband 3 months ago .
We are very easy going people and we don't care for luxury but that place was too much!
Extremely crowded , it seems as if it has never been renovated for the past 100 years and the cherry on the pie was at the hottest room they have. Extremely hot , dark , smelly and men screaming aaaaaa while throwing cold water on them to cool down.
We will never go there again.

2  Thank Anna S
Reviewed 25 February 2014

Firstly this place was packed, crowded and dirty. The changing rooms were not separate but merely separated with a curtain - and the showers to clean off are public - which means i have to shower with my bathing suit on next to some heavy set sweaty dude who stares. But I know where i am i can get passed the ogling, but I can't get passed the crowded, cramped, dirty conditions. Even if its supposed to be okay to change in a coed area that's merely separated by a curtain - the space is so small that me and the 3 of my friends couldn't barely fit - to change. Yes the idea of a spa is to sweat - but there should also be enough room to sit down or stand up and not have to rub up to the guy next to you -- and have his sweat all over you. Stay away!!!!

2  Thank YelizavetaYR
Reviewed 25 November 2013

I read the conflicting reviews before I went and so I was prepared for anything. We got a discount coupon online so that was great and saved us some money off the typical entrance fee of $35 for the day. Unlike other reviewers, we got a friendly reception at the desk and were given a brief run-down of the place. The facilities reminded me somewhat of your typical YMCA, a little dingy, kind of cramped but manageable. The locker rooms are definitely small so be patient and considerate. They provide you with towels, a "robe" of sorts and plastic sandals. I would definitely recommend bringing your own flip flops. Mostly everyone wears a bathing suit and wraps towels around themselves when traveling between say the locker room and the steam areas. The robe is not necessary as there is nowhere to put it anyway when you are in the saunas and steam rooms.
As for the showers, there are four downstairs by the steam rooms but they aren't really for actual showering. They are really more for just rinsing yourself off. We discovered there is one shower upstairs in the women's locker room where you would feel comfortable actually washing your hair and soaping up. This is on the second floor where the roof deck is located.
I would definitely recommend going out of your comfort zone and getting the platza treatment. It is extremely weird but I am glad I tried it. It takes place right in the russian steam room so it's not private - something I did not expect. You lie on a mat on one of the benches and then Viktor smacks your body with oak leaves dipped in olive oil soap. He massages your feet and hands and does a pretty good job getting you relaxed. After the treatment he takes you to the pool and you plunge into the 45 degree water. It sounds crazy but you really do feel great afterward.
If you are extremely uptight and expect everything to be perfect you might not be able to enjoy this place but if you are willing to overlook some things and would like to try a bit of an old school communal experience definitely give this a try.

2  Thank irishgirl321