“Federal Hall”

and up
Downtown Manhattan Walking Tour
Ranked #126 of 1,093 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Built in 1842 on the site of the first U.S. Capitol, this museum features items related to George Washington's inauguration, the Bill of Rights and old Federal Hall.
Chicago, Illinois
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Federal Hall”
Reviewed 14 February 2014

This has to be one of the more underrated tourist destinations in New York City. Yes, there's no show to see, no hundredth floor, no luxury - but there is history. Really important history.

As it was built on the site where this country was first governed and major legislative acts were proposed and passed (the Northwest Ordinance under the Continental Congress, then the Constitution's Bill of Rights, Judiciary Act, and so on) and George Washington was sworn in. Everything in the history of the federal government sprung from the intellectual fount of Federal Hall. I wanted to see this place for myself when I was in NYC last summer, so I used my smartphone's park whiz app to book a spot in Wall Street, sparing me from alternate side parking. The entire place is classy in the best way possible, especially the sky-lit dome. Some other reviews here just say to take photos outside and then leave, but I respectfully disagree. This place has the Bible that George Washington was sworn in on, among other artifacts - these are objects of significance that were important enough to be passed from the Founding of the country up until the present -- from the aftermath of a young country's revolution to an age when the idea of Americans landing on the moon was the dream of a previous generation, a trophy already on the shelf and gathering dust.

This place is super cool!

Visited August 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Gorgeors Building but empty”
Reviewed 4 January 2014

We were looking forward to our visit to Federal Hall NM. My family and I travel to many NPS sites and we look forward to taking the ranger tour and getting our cancellation stamps. Let me say the bookstore was nice and its easy to get your stamp.

The main rotunda is nice but unfortunatly there is not much to see and noone around to really tell you about it. The bible that George Washington took the oath of office on was not on hand and due to the fact that it is a masonic bible. We were looking for a ranger tour but we didn't see a ranger to give one. We finally made it to the back and there was a nice ranger at the desk hidden away who spoke to us for a little while.

Overall it was an uneventful visit. NPS should have more objects on display for the public to view.

Visited December 2013
Alpharetta, Georgia
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Take a closer look!”
Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

This is an easy and quick stop on your sightseeing tour of New York City. Be sure to walk around and read the plaques that are on the statues and on the sides of the building. Be sure to also stand on the very steps George Washington once stood upon look across the street and see the New York stock exchange.

1 Thank JTLGriswold
North Wildwood, New Jersey
202 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 234 helpful votes
“Historic place. Take photos in front and then you're done”
Reviewed 15 November 2013

The statue of George Washington in front of the building, along with the picture of George in prayer, were probably the highlights of the memorial. Inside, the architecture of the main hall was beautiful, but there wasn't much else to see -- a replica of George Washington's desk and an empty display case that was supposed to contain GW's bible (see photos). I don't know why it was missing when we visited.

Visited November 2013
New Jersey, USA
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 69 helpful votes
“It's worth going inside...”
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I work on Wall Street in NYC and pass by Federal Hall all the time. I usually see lots of tourists taking photos on the front steps and at the statue but I never see anyone ever going inside. I decided to walk in one day, and I was so glad that I did! There is so much history attached to this building, and it really makes you feel awfully proud to know that you're standing in a place where Washington had his inauguration. When I went inside, there was an exhibit about NYC so it was really worth it. I won't say that visiting Federal Hall will be the show stopper of your trip to Wall Street but it really adds to a wonderful day. Here's my recommendation: take the 2 or 3 subway to the Wall Street stop. Get off and walk the 1/2 block to the Federal Building. After your visit, walking outside the Stock Exchange, and walk to Trinity Church one block away. If you like to shop, Century 21 is in the neighborhood, and then you can visit and pay your respects at the footprint of the World Trade Center. When you're finished with that, walk south on Broadway for just a few blocks and take your photo by the iconic bull. It's a nice morning or afternoon!

Visited September 2013