“Looks nice, service lets it down”
Review of Little Italy

and up
3 New York Neighborhoods Small-Group Tour : SoHo, Chinatown and Little Italy
Ranked #103 of 1,093 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Neighborhood west of SoHo famous for Italian restaurants.
Auckland
130 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 159 helpful votes
“Looks nice, service lets it down”
Reviewed 17 October 2013

After walking for hours while sightseeing I decided to visit Little Italy as I wanted a nice coffee and a snack to eat. The area is now quite small, as it is being gobbled up by Chinatown... which is really quite sad as Chinatown doesn't have any qualities that appeal to me, whereas Little Italy appeals in many ways. Unfortunately my experience was completely let down by the lack of service. The first café I tried I walked out of after 5 minutes, as no-one came to take my order. So I tried another, which was hardly any better. All the staff just stand and talk to each other, and pretty much ignore the customers. I have struck that before in Italy, but hoped for better in New York. When I finally was able to order a cappuccino it was terrible, the worst I had in New York. If Little Italy wants to survive it needs to try a lot harder.

Visited October 2013

17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Yummy”
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Every one should experience the food and people of Little Italy. If you can go in September, plan your trip around the San Genaro festival!!!

Visited July 2013
Birmingham UK
110 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Very Little Italy”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Much of Little Italy seems to have been swallowed up by Chinatown. There's several restaurants and cafes to choose from but not much else on the single street that seems to encompass this 'neighbourhood'.

Visited November 2012
1 Thank home-sweet-brum
Bengaluru, India
502 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 701 helpful votes
“Lot to see”
Reviewed 11 October 2013

Little Italy which is on mulberry street has a lot to see. The street itself is full of life. Lots of people, lots and lots of food and fun. We went there by about 11 a.m when the shops were just opening for the business. The guide told us though it is called Little Italy, not many Italians live there. Most of them have moved to Brooklyn and Statin Island.
The street is very well decorated and you can enjoy taking a walk there and eating lovely food.
We get lot of authentic Italian Pastries Coffee. Some nice bakery products are also available.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank loki_knows
Australia
28 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 79 helpful votes
“Lots of atmosphere but the food was disappointing”
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We went during the San Gennaro festival, when the main street is packed with stalls and people. Heaps of fun, provided you don't mind crowds, and there was a great atmosphere. Great to see some historic photos on walls, showing what the strip looked like 100 years ago. But the restaurant we tried (can't remember its name - there are dozens) was really, really average. Admittedly, they were all very busy, but still, we've had better, more authentic Italian at our $5 pasta joint back in Australia. I think the best bet would be to tour the main drag and go get a meal a little further afield, away from the tourist trap.

Visited September 2013