“Bad service decent food”
Review of aldea

aldea
Reserve with OpenTable
aldea is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,800 of 13,689 Restaurants in New York City
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: Portuguese, Spanish
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Flatiron District
Cross street: Between 5th and 6th Avenues
Transit: The restaurant is 2 blocks from Union Square/14th Street with access to all major subways, including: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, L, N, R & Q trains. F & M trains at the 14th st stop.
New York City, New York
“Bad service decent food”
Reviewed 14 April 2012

When we got to aldea the host seemed completely unconcerned that our table for 4 was not ready for another 20 minutes. She directed us to the bar and did not make any extra effort to welcome us or make up for the delay with any kind of graciousness. She was very full of herself. When we switched from the bar to the table she asked us to settle our bill at the bar which is really quite amateur for such a highly rated restaurant. The tall, dark and neglecting hostess proceeded to put our wine glasses on a tray but not pay attention to which glass belonged to who - why should she care? right? Her attitude was appalling!
Our waiter was very nice but handling too many tables. I felt bad for him because he really tried, but he was not able to wait on us in a timely manner throughout the whole meal. The food was very good, but not worth going back for a second time. My favorite part of the meal was the Sonhos for desert - those were unforgettable!!

• Visited April 2012

Columbus, Ohio
“Great Experience, Sit at the Chef's Counter”
Reviewed 13 April 2012

If you ever daydream of being a NYC chef at an exciting restaurant, you can get an up close viewing by eating at the chef's counter. I was able to watch the intricate details put into preparing and plating each dish. Each plate is really a work of art and nice to look at (and eat).

Appetizers:
Shrimp Alhinho-You need to order this. The shrimp are cooked perfectly, but the kicker is the shrimp jus that tastes like a garlicky shrimp stew.

Fuji Apple Salad-This was pretty to look at, but quite simple. I don't know that I'd order this again.

Entrees:
Braised Beef Short Rib-I'm a sucker for braised meat, and this one is done perfectly. The flash of brilliance on this plate is the charred toast emulsion. It's basically a smooth sauce that tastes exactly like charred toast.

Arroz de Pato-This is the restaurant's signature dish, and while enjoyable, it's an awful lot of rice to be eating. The rice is toasted like a good paella, and there are bits of duck confit and duck skin cracklings which are delicious. My favorite things on this plate were the slices of sous vide duck breast and the clementine emulsion. These two go together really well, and in my mind could make a dish on their own. Again, I was wowed by the emulsion. I was glad I ordered this, since it was the signature dish, but if I went back, I would probably order something else. It was slightly salty with the olives and chorizo.

Dessert:
Sonhos-These are basically beignets, but they come with 3 sauces--chocolate hazelnut, quince, and salted caramel. It's the perfect way to finish a meal.

Caramelized Brioche-This is a fine french toast with a nice ice cream. It was good, but I think I'd stick to the Sonhos if I went back.

The server brought out some petit fours to finish out the meal. This was one of the nicest dining experiences I've had in NYC. The environment isn't stuffy, and the people are really nice. George Mendes stopped in for a bit, so you know he's still running the show.

3 Thank mky84
san juan, PR
“Charming”
Reviewed 3 April 2012 via mobile

I traveled all the way from the caribbean to nyc, and we choose this restaurant to celebrate my friend's birthday, we were not dissapoint it. Food was really good, and they helped us to pair it with good wine.

1 Thank ocolon
NYC
“Quiet Elegance - Great Bar”
Reviewed 26 March 2012

A quiet dinner with friends with interesting and very good cuisine, well chosen wines, and a lovely setting...what's more to ask? Easily located in Chelsea. The package is complete. While not terribly expensive, its not cheep -- the product and service are worth it. Good value all the way around. We will go back!

on my feet
“loved the food, service was a bit off-putting”
Reviewed 18 March 2012

preparation, presentation, flavours of all of our dishes--apps, mains, desserts--could not be faulted. the service was a bit obsequious and obtrusive, and dampened what could have been an outstanding experience. we appreciate attentive service, but this was the sensation of someone standing over your shoulder as you ate. clean and attractive decor, and definitely worth the visit, but will try a bunch of other restos before i'm back.