“NYC Gem of a hotel!”

Royalton Park Avenue
Ranked #90 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Having stayed in many NYC hotels, including several W's, this hotel is the best for many reasons! We've stayed here 4 or 5 times now and every stay has been perfect. The staff is incredible! It's like staying at a W only with really nice people working there and big rooms! From the front desk, doormen, concierge, bellmen, and housekeepers, EVERYONE is friendly, professional, and willing to do whatever they can to help! On this last stay, Clancy at the concierge desk ensured our packages were efficiently picked up by Fedex, Chris at the front desk contacted us ahead of time to make sure our rooms were properly reserved and ready for us, and the doormen (sorry guys, don't remember their names) are ALL great whether it's hailing cabs or helping with packages).
The rooms are very spacious, especially for NYC rooms, the bathrooms large, bedding comfortable, and the hotel is kept very clean (no walking through the minefield of room service trays in hallways like the W). The location is great since it's away from Times Square but still close to everything in midtown or downtown with some good restaurants nearby. The pub (Tavern 29) across the street is a better option than the hotel lobby bar (which for some reason never has the Yankees games on - not cool in NYC! - but shows the Mets and Red Sox) and the rooftop bar and pool is an awesome place to hang out with a cool view of the Empire State building. Lastly, the Asellina Restaurant is excellent as well! We've had several good meals there and also find the service there to be great.

Room Tip: Every room we've ever had was a nice room!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank lance1713
Gansevoort_HG, Manager at Royalton Park Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear lance1713,

Thank you for the superb review and welcome back! It's always a pleasure having you and we're thrilled you continuously have a fantastic experience. We're glad you found Clancy and the rest of our team to be incredibly helpful and we'll be sure to inform them of your compliments. We're also happy you enjoyed our ample-sized rooms and divinely comfortable beds. It's a great feeling to come back to a cozy oasis after a day of exploring New York City. We look forward to having you again for a trip filled with excellent dining and rooftop lounging.

Gansevoort Park Avenue

Write a ReviewReviews (2,395)

Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

I just stayed for one night and I'm going back in one day!! The staff is courteous and fantastic. They will go out of their way to please the customer. The accommodations are roomy, clean and sexy. The pool is just right for a quick dip and lounging. Awesome stay!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rgr194

Dear Rgr194,

Thank you for the brilliant review. We're elated you had a fantastic experience and we're excited you planned an additional stay. We're glad you found our team to be friendly, as well as accommodating. It’s important to be comfortable in your room and we're thrilled you found it to be sleek and spacious. We look forward to making many more Manhattan memories with you. Until next time!

Reviewed 2 July 2014

I had gone to their upstairs rooftop lounge a few times, and didn't love it, but I've always loved the downstairs bar and restaurants. My company paid for us to stay here while working at the Javitz Center recently and I have to say, I was very impressed with my stay. The location is great, tons of bars and restaurants around, the room was spacious, esp for a NYC hotel, the hotel staff was very friendly, the sundeck was awesome for a quick drink in June, and the hotel itself was very clean. It can get very loud on the weekends, but it definitely dies down during the week. I was actually surprised how dead the downstairs bar was on Sunday and Monday evening (granted it was 11:30 at night). I loved the lobby downstairs, it's very trendy, "W Hotel" like. The crowd at the sunroof was very Euro/hipster, I felt like I was in downtown LA. I would love to stay here again. I thought the price was very reasonable for the amenities available too.

Room Tip: The higher rooms will get noisier on weekend nights. If you don't want that, ask for a room clos...

Dear ShannonW3,

Thank you for the fantastic review. We're thrilled you chose to give us an opportunity to provide a seamless trip and we're glad you had a wonderful experience. We agree, our location is surrounded by delicious restaurants as well as bars and we're happy you had a chance to explore them. Additionally, our sun deck is ideal for enjoying a few cocktails, while taking in our expansive views of the cityscape. It was a pleasure having you and we'd love for you to visit again soon.

Reviewed 1 July 2014

I have stayed here several times in the past few years. The customer service is consistently impressive. Th.e hotel bar attracts nightlife that can get a bit loud on weekends. I have never had trouble sleeping while at this hotel. Beds are extremely comfortable! Wish I could have packed the bed and brought it home with me. During one stay, staff upgraded my room and I was blessed with a huge room with a small balcony. The lobby music, furniture, and upbeat staff create a one of a kind environment.

Room Tip: Ask for a discount if you are pre-booking. I have had good luck with securing a discount each time.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Gansevoort_HG, Manager at Royalton Park Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear aNONYMOUSmicKEY,

Thank you for the outstanding review and welcome back! We love having you and we're elated you continuously have an amazing experience. A good night's sleep is important and we're glad you found our beds to be divinely comfortable and our rooms to be pleasantly quiet. It's the little details that can make a moment extra special and we're happy you were thrilled with your room upgrade. It's always a pleasure having you and we look forward to creating many more memories upon your next visit.

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We usually stay uptown or downtown but because of what we have heard over the years about the Gansevoort brand, we decided to try this midtown location. The bright spot about entering was the young man who greeted us at the door. It went downhill from there. The gal at the front desk (who claimed to be the manager on duty) was a bit curt when we asked her to give us a really nice room since we are trying the hotel for the first time. She replied "all of our rooms are really nice". Well, sister, you must not have seen the one we were in. We knew we had a problem when we stepped off the elevator on the 12th floor & saw spots all over the rug. To us, signs of uncleanliness & not caring. It got worse when we entered the room - spots & tears on the couch & tears in the comforter on the bed! This looked more like a motel than a hotel in Manhattan. I called the front desk & asked the gal who checked us in & she said we could move if we wanted to. And that was about all she had to say. Not even an apology or let me buy you a drink (we didn't want a drink but an offer is always a nice gesture). Since we were only staying 1 night, we let it go. However, never again! There are far too many choices of hotels in Manhattan to stay in one that isn't clean & the staff couldn't care less!

Room Tip: Check out your room before you actually take it if you must stay in this dreary, awful hotel!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank RSFLucy

Dear RSFLucy,

Thank you for the review. We sincerely regret your trip did not surpass your expectations and we apologize for the miscommunication with our front desk team. We strive to provide flawless service as well as beautiful rooms and we're disappointed you did not have a chance to experience this. Neither the couch nor bed should have had any tears and we have followed up with our team for further investigation. Additionally, we appreciate your feedback as it will help ensure that similar incidents don't occur in the future. We hope to have a second chance to prove our dedication and provide a seamless stay. Please feel free to email Digital@TheGHG.com for further questions or concerns.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel when I was in New York for business, including over the weekend. The hotel was fantastic and in a perfect location, with breathtaking views of the Empire State and walking distance to all the shops on 5th Avenue. The rooms were amazing, with great decor, an awesome bathroom. I particularly like that the rooms had sofas and huge baths. The staff were fantastic, especially the manager when I complained, Alexander at reception and the pool towel lady and our pool waitress on the first day.
My complaint to the manager was the one negative thing about the hotel. I had booked this hotel because it had a pool, which to me is a prerequisite for any hotel as I like to swim daily. Unfortunately the pool only opened at 8am, which is too late if you are in town on business, and closed at 7pm, which is also too early. My other issue with the pool was that at the weekend it was totally full during the day (with people who were not guests at the hotel) so I was unable to swim until the evening at which point the bouncer asked me to get out of the pool. On exiting the pool to my horror I found out that they had cleared away all the towels and so I was left standing in my bikini dripping wet surrounded by party goers dressed for a night out at the bar. I was mortified and cold. Fortunately the manager handled my complaint brilliantly and the rest of my stay was great.
Will I stay at this hotel again? Yes - but not if I am on business as then I need a hotel where the pool opens at normal hotel pool times (6am - 8pm).

Dear Don F,

Thank you for the fantastic review. It was a pleasure having you and we're thrilled you enjoyed your experience. We deeply regret you were inconvenienced by our pool hours, but we're glad our manager could assist in making the remainder of your trip flawless. We appreciate your feedback and we'll be sure to relay your suggestions to the rest of our team. Additionally, we have another hotel in the Meatpacking District that may better suit your business needs as their pool is open until 10PM. On another note, we're elated you enjoyed the Flatiron District and our panoramic rooftop views. We're surrounded by some of New York City's most beautiful attractions and we're happy you were able to enjoy them. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

Stay at this hotel frequently. Beyond a great location and excellent facilities, the staff is EXCELLENT! Alexander @ Front Desk goes out of the way to take care of guests.

Check out the gym - terrific to work out overlooking Park & 29th.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony.
1  Thank stephen l

Dear stephen I,

Thank you for the wonderful review. It's always a pleasure having you and we're glad you continuously have a great experience. We appreciate your kind remarks and we'll be sure to pass them along to Alexander as well as the rest of our committed team. Your invaluable loyalty means a lot to us and we look forward to having you again soon.