“Clancy: the best concierge ever”

Gansevoort Park Avenue NYC
Ranked #88 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 31 August 2014

our summer trip to NYC was absolutely transformed by this incredible concierge at the Gansevoort Park Avenue. Clancy is actually the best concierge I have ever met, anywhere. He not only advised us on some key planning issues before we left London (e.g. don't spend hours queuing to climb up the Statue of Liberty but do take the time to visit Ellis Island), but also made reservations for us to eat at some truly fantastic restaurants (Buddakan being the best of all on this trip); helped us immeasurably with organising the car rental for our onward trip and - best of all - sent us a complete itinerary of all our reservations in advance of our arrival in NYC. He really is the most helpful concierge ever. Thank you Clancy!

Room Tip: Higher floors good for views and light - but not too close to the rooftop pool bar unless you want t...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Jenmamo
Gansevoort_HG, Manager at Gansevoort Park Avenue NYC, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2014

Dear Jenmamo,

Thank you for the incredible review. We're elated you had an outstanding experience. There are many things to do in New York City and we're pleased Clancy was of great service to you. We're thrilled you enjoyed all of his recommendations and had a chance to indulge in a variety of restaurants throughout Manhattan. We're also happy you were able to explore some of the city's wonderful attractions. We'll be sure to inform our team of your thoughtful comments, as we know they look forward to your return. Until next time!

Reviewed 30 August 2014

My husband and I live in Boston, and got married In Philly. We decided to do a mini-moon, and stop in NYC for a few days before heading back to Boston (we leave for Aus. soon for the real moon!). Anyhow, I made the reservation at this hotel maybe a month or so in advance, and spoke to someone truly wonderful on the phone. We booked a Mr&Mrs package that included monogrammed robes, a bottle of champs and roses in the room upon arrival, matching LaCoste polos, and a couples massage at the in-hotel Exhale spa. When trying to figure out the room that we would reserve, the woman recommended a certain category which was probably right in the middle of the pack. I asked her to note that this would be our honeymoon, literally the day after our wedding, and I have no doubt that she did that.

We checked in late in the day on a Sunday (of Memorial Day weekend, generally not the busiest time in cities??). When we checked in, our package was as expected, but our newlywed status was never so much as mentioned, not even a simple congrats? Once we got to the room, I was a bit disappointed to be on a low floor, and obviously not upgraded at all. The room was spacious, especially for New York, I will say that. It did seem a bit in need of some refurbishment. A little "used".

The next morning we had scheduled our massage. This was the worst part of the trip!! Exhale spas are generally AMAZING and I went into the experience with that expectation. The massage I proceeded to receive was the worst massage I've ever gotten, ever. It was literally like a rubdown. I asked the masseuse about 3-4 times during to increase pressure. She ignored me every single time. At the end I told her I would have preferred more pressure and she responded that I "only got a swedish massage, for more pressure I'd need to book a deep tissue". Um, hello? Where I come from, you give the customer what they are requesting. Massage pressure is subjective. And regardless, a swedish massage is still a MASSAGE, not a rubdown. It honestly was that bad. I am not generally a complainer, see all of my other reviews!

Aside from the massage incident and lack of upgrades, everything else was fine. The upstairs bar/lounge also could use a refresher, as I think it gets pretty packed at nights, and it shows it.

Truly I wish I could say better things about this hotel, but I just can't. There are too many other options in NYC that I've stayed at in the past that are either priced better, with the same standards as GPV, or else if they are priced the same the level of service/value is much higher! We had an amazing 3 days in NYC soaking up the city, but the hotel just did not add any value for me.

Room Tip: Good luck! They didn't even give us a good one on our honeymoon!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Danielle P,

Thank you for the detailed review and congratulations on your nuptials! We deeply regret our team did not provide additional sentiments towards your special occasion. We strive to acknowledge all celebratory moments and we apologize for the miscommunication. We hope to have another chance to prove our commitment and provide an outstanding trip. We’re also disappointed your Exhale Spa massage did not meet your expectations. We will be sure to inform them of your feedback to ensure all future treatments are flawless. We are happy you enjoyed your time spent in New York City and we hope the remainder of your honeymoon was fantastic. Please feel free to email Digital@TheGHG.com for further questions or concerns.

Reviewed 27 August 2014

I often stay at this location when I travel for work and it has always been wonderful. The rooms are trendy and modern, and have everything you need. The location is super convenient, lots of great places to eat and grab a drink. I have always been greeted warmly by all of the staff and have never had a problem with a room, including when I ask for late or early check-in. I noticed that some of the more negative reviews relate to costs of items in rooms. I think it should be noted that this hotel is like many trendy, high end hotels in big cities - they go through the process of curating items that are in their rooms, so yes, they charge for them because they assume they are things that their guests want, not just a bag a skittles in case you're desperate for sugar. So the expectation that most of the "cute" items should be free is a little ludicrous. Housekeeping is actually incredibly helpful (as I think is true in most hotels if you are polite and appreciative), and will bring you items (like the coffee capsules) complimentary if you stay for multiple days. I would highly recommend the location if you want a fun couples getaway, or are traveling for business and want a nice room, a great lobby for meetings, and a fun lounge to grab a drink!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank bb1030
Gansevoort_HG, Manager at Gansevoort Park Avenue NYC, responded to this reviewResponded 2 September 2014

Dear bb1030,

Thank you for the spectacular review. We’re thrilled to be your go-to hotel when traveling for business and we’re pleased you always have a wonderful experience. We’re glad you find our team to be incredibly kind and helpful. We continuously strive to accommodate all special requests and we’re happy you enjoy our late check-out option. We also appreciate your feedback regarding the on-sale items in our rooms. We’re elated you find them to be useful and convenient. It was great having you and we look forward to your next trip.

Reviewed 27 August 2014

I am a born and raised new yorker who moved to Miami a few years ago, everytime I come home Gansevoort park ave is the only hotel I will stay at. Great location, great customer service... (Micahel at reception is a true gem if i ever open a hotel i will try and steal him to work with me), nice size rooms ( especially for NYC) all around great property wouldn't stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: get a room with a outdoor patio!
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank ivieheather

Dear ivieheather,

Thank you for the wonderful review. Once a New Yorker, always a New Yorker – So welcome back! We’re honored to be your first choice as your loyalty is invaluable to us. Michael and the rest of our team will be pleased with your kind words, as we know they look forward to having you again soon. Until next time!

Reviewed 27 August 2014

My wife and I stayed for 4 nights in August 2014 on a break in New York. This was the first time my wife had visited the US, so I wanted to find a balance between location, service and ambiance that allowed her to sample the city from a nice starting point. The hotel was recommended by a friend who had stayed there in July so we booked our stay on that recommendation really. From a service standpoint we have mixed views. The reception desk, concierge and room service staff were superb, so no complaints there. However, the staff who control access to the roof terrace left a lot to be desired, from the 'your names not down you're not coming in' school of service. Frankly this left a bad taste, not least as I was a paying resident with a $500 per night tariff! It is obvious a lot of the 'cool kids' who are not residents visit the roof top bar and pool so I can understand their need to manage that aspect, but frankly I don't want to be talked down to.

The other thing that left a bad taste is absolutely everything in the room had a price on it, even the coffee! I use LOTS of hotels and more and more common is a quality coffee facility in the room, FOC. When I am paying $500 per night for a room, I don't expect to pay $2 each time I want a coffee, it strikes me as profiteering and again, gives the wrong impression. It's not about the $2, it's the principal. The room was nice and spacious, we had a small walk around balcony and the bed was exceptionally comfy. The shower looked great, but had the power of a small goldfish spitting but general the room and bathroom.

If you are young, trendy and seeking the in crowd then this might be the right place. Though nothing is fundamentally wrong with the hotel, I didn't feel it was worth the spend and if gives the impression of being not as good as it thinks it is under the surface. We would not stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank HouseyUK

Dear Housemaster,

Thank you for the detailed review. We’re pleased you felt comfortable in our ample-sized rooms, but we apologize your rooftop experience left you dissatisfied. Providing impeccable service is important to us and you should have been treated with the utmost respect. We appreciate your feedback, as it will help ensure all future visits are nothing short of amazing. Additionally, we understand your frustration regarding the prices of items in our rooms. If you choose to stay with us again, perhaps you'd like our complimentary coffee served in the lobby each morning. We hope to have another chance to prove our commitment and offer an excellent vacation. Please feel free to email Digital@TheGHG.com for further questions or concerns.

Reviewed 27 August 2014

I booked my stay through FounderCard, a discount membership service. As part of my rewards for the program, I am supposed to get a complimentary drink upon check-in and a room upgrade, if available. As long as I get my room discount, I never really think about the other perks of booking through these programs, as upgrades are typically "unavailable" and the drink vouchers have a low-dollar value.

This simply wasn't the case at the Gansevoort Park Avenue. They went above and beyond to make sure that my stay was amazing.

This trip was a last-minute surprise birthday get-a-way for my boyfriend, and I noted as much in the "special comments" area of the reservation form- not really thinking that anyone takes the time to read them. It became evident once we checked in that this is a hotel that pays attention to the details.

The Gansevoort doesn't make a big deal of going the extra mile or making sure that everyone knows that they or the staff has done something nice- they just do it. The receptionist didn't make a big deal about any upgrades. She greeted me with a friendly smile, checked me in quickly, and sent me without any troubles to my room. I had booked a small suite and was expecting a comfortable room, as even suites in NYC aren't typically "large" unless you're willing to spend the equivalent of the GDP of a small, developing nation. Upon entering the room, we realized that we had been upgraded not just one level, but to the largest suite available, aside from the Duplex Presidential. What's even more is that they put us in the only one of these suites that had both a balcony overlooking Park Ave. AND a private 200 square foot terrace, complete with a four-top table, privacy shrubs, and lounge chairs. I've stayed in many places in NYC, but I've never stayed at a hotel that COMPLIMENTARY upgraded to a suite with so much space and private area- both indoor and out. Also waiting for us in our upgraded suite was a bottle of Prosecco and a birthday gift- both compliments of the hotel.

The willingness to please and serve didn't stop with the room, however. We ended up letting a friend stay with us for two nights, which I know that most hotels frown upon. When I let the front desk know that I would have an additional guest above the typical two adults, I was prepared to pay the extra-person charge. I was pleasantly surprised when I was informed that it would be no problem and that no charge was necessary, as the room was designed to sleep up to 4 adults.

We also decided, on our last night, to extend our stay for one extra night, if possible. I wasn't expecting to be able to extend our upgraded room for the same price- if it was even available, but once again, the Gansevoort didn't disappoint. I had the pleasure of working with the GM at the front desk, and he was able to confirm my extended stay- at my discounted rate- and re-issue room keys in just a few minutes.

Beyond the extra lengths to which the hotel staff went to make our stay more than enjoyable, we also greatly liked the hotel itself. We were hesitant to stay in a Midtown Park Ave hotel, especially when the Gansevoort's sister Meat Packing hotel was our other option. We couldn't have been more pleased, however. The location was perfect for us; it never took us more than 10 minutes to get to any of our Lower-Manhattan destination. We also loved the chic decor of the hotel. It was modern with a friendly vibe. We went to the rooftop club/bar/ pool one evening, and it was enjoyable. It was a typical crowd for what you'd expect on a rooftop club in Manhattan during the summer, if not more subdued than what you'd find in other areas of town. The club/ lounge was very large- two indoor levels, a private table area, open table/ couch seating, and a rooftop pool area that offered great views of local landmarks. In the end, we'd go back to the rooftop even if we weren't staying at the hotel again.

I recognize that I probably received over-the-top service for whatever reason, which not everyone can expect. I certainly wouldn't expect the same free perks if I were to stay at the hotel again. What impressed me, however, was the graciousness of the hotel staff to make it happen. They proved themselves to be a group that pays attention to the guest and to do what they can to make the stay enjoyable. For that alone, along with the fact that we simply liked the hotel, we'd stay again and certainly recommend it to others.

Room Tip: The 4th floor has the only terraces.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BrandonColteS

Dear BrandonColteS,

Thank you for the fantastic review. We're sending our birthday wishes and we're glad your experience was truly amazing. Providing amazing service is important to us and we're thrilled you felt well-taken care of. It's the little details that can make a trip memorable and we're happy you enjoyed the complimentary room upgrade. We appreciate your kind compliments and we'll be sure to relay them to the rest of our team. We can't wait for your next visit.

Reviewed 26 August 2014

This hotel has highs and lows. What I liked most about the property are the rooms. Given the location, I was extremely pleased with the amount of space that we had in the suite (though friends staying in an ordinary room found it a bit small). I also loved the location, which is very convenient to everything and offers easy access to the Lexington line subway. The bed and pillows were extremely comfortable, the bathroom well designed and spacious, and the decor and layout of the room very pleasant. When we first checked in, I was ready to love this hotel and thought it would become my regular place when visiting NYC.

But I am unlikely to return to this property because they have not mastered hospitality.

The first thing that really bothered me was that too much stuff in the room was for sale. Instead of a relaxed or romantic or festive setting, I felt like a consumer living in a retail shop. Our bed was made with a cute stuffed animal resting on the pillow. At first, I thought, “what a sweet gift.” Until I picked it up and a price tag was hanging from it. The bathroom had a nice little toiletry kit- affixed to the wall with a price sticker. But that wasn’t all I found in the bathroom- a beautifully wrapped “sensuality kit", also for sale. And a big rubber ducky bath toy/massager- also for sale. Open the closet- yes, more stuff for sale. The rooms each have a lovely Nespresso machine- yet even a 2 star hotel provides one or two servings of coffee a day. But here, you have to pay for the coffee capsules! We had two free ones the day we checked in and that was it. And the spread of food and toys and gadgets for sale on the shelf in the room was astounding. I found it tacky and felt for anyone checking into the room with a small child, who would instantly want the stuffed animal and rubber duck and candy. . .

But it wasn’t just the retail atmosphere of the rooms. Don’t expect any pleasantries in the lobby. No coffee offered in the morning, not even a pitcher of water to be found. Nada. No warm greetings from the folks on the main floor or even a glimmer of recognition from anyone at the front desk or door.

I think what really made me feel the most negative, though, was the restaurant. Our room came with a continental breakfast- and the hotel uses an absolutely ridiculous system, where each person (even small children) needs their own voucher every day that has to be completed by hand by the front desk- so a family of four staying for five days needs 20 pieces of paper. The waitstaff at breakfast were so consistently aggressive and nasty about the complimentary breakfast that they made us feel terrible. You must be holding your voucher when you order- and they literally bark at people to turn them over. One morning I was telling a waiter that I wanted only a cup of coffee and didn’t need the rest of the food and he literally cut me off in mid sentence saying ‘Can I just have the voucher now” so aggressively that people from an adjoining table shot me a look of sympathy. This place really, really needs to work on hospitality training with their staff and they need to relax about collecting the darn vouchers! After all, if they have your name and room number, these things can be sorted out easily!

In sum, the location is great, the rooms are very well appointed and comfortable, but that hotel lacks warmth and charm.

They are used a lot by European tour companies, but seem to cater to 20-somethings. It isn’t a great place for families. You won’t get any flexibility on the set breakfast. Although there is a pool, you have to walk through the bar to access it- that would be awkward enough, except when we were there they were hosting loud parties in the bar with youth dressed to the nines. The music was blasting so loud we heard it 10 floors below and it made hanging out at the pool unenjoyable for children. . . .and they conveyed that they weren’t so happy to have the kids there anyway. . .just not a great family place. The room next to us was a group of young women who kept us up all night and left empty bottles of Coors beet outside their door in the morning. No the hotel's fault- but that seems to be their crowd.

This place has potential but needs some hospitality training.

Room Tip: Don't worry about the view from a high floor. We had a suite and looked out on air conditioners...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank SDP_MSN

Dear SDP_MSN,

Thank you for sharing your feedback. We're pleased you felt comfortable in our spacious rooms, but we apologize your overall expectations were not met. We regret you weren't fond of our in-room sale items and we understand your frustration. We offer a selection of essential products that guests may find useful, as our goal is to make all visits as convenient as possible. We're always happy to accommodate special requests and would be glad to remove any or all items prior to arrival. Additionally, we apologize you didn't enjoy your dining experience. You should have been treated with the utmost respect and we'll be sure to inform Asellina's team of your remarks. We would love another chance to prove our dedication and provide an impeccable stay. Please feel free to email Digital@TheGHG.com for further questions or concerns.