“Good... But far from perfect”

Trump SoHo New York
Ranked #119 of 467 Hotels in New York City
London, United Kingdom
“Good... But far from perfect”
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Trump Soho is a very well located hotel if you’re looking to escape the trappings of Midtown and experience the ‘real’ New York. For us, this was our second trip to NYC and we had already done all of the touristy things so wanted to see what downtown was like. We weren’t disappointed and Trump Soho is located close to all of the top bars and restaurants in this part of the city. There’s also a complimentary car that will take you within a short distance of the hotel if you want to travel in style.

In terms of our room, we had a great corner room on the 32nd floor with fantastic views of everything from the Empire State building to the Hudson River. The room was a little on the small side but it did have the world’s most comfortable bed!

The downsides, however, were a little too plentiful to make this the 5 star experience we expected…

Firstly, the air conditioning is woefully inadequate. We did stay during a record-breaking heatwave but for a 5 star deluxe room we expected a good air conditioner. As it was, even when we set it to the lowest temperature and highest fan setting, it was still an uncomfortable 24 degrees in the room.

Then there was the service. As a Trump Card Holder I had access to their much-lauded attaché service but they completely failed in the one thing I asked of them. The day before my partner’s birthday I asked if they could do anything to surprise him when we got back from dinner, like a little message, card or chocolates, for example. They offered to leave us cupcakes, which I was delighted about, but when we returned from dinner the next day there was nothing in my room at all. In a 5 star hotel at these prices I expected a lot more. Also, every time I tried to exchange traveller’s cheques on reception there was confusion, with one lady forgetting to ask me to sign them! Every time it took far longer than necessary. Finally, at the pool there is no shade at all and as someone who likes to sit outside but wants to look after my skin, I couldn’t bear the lack of cover. I ended up moving my sun lounger back into the shade slightly only to be chastised by the pool staff for spoiling the perfectly lined up loungers. Ridiculous!

This all said, I have to commend the door staff who were absolutely top class. Always smiling even when standing outside in 40 degree heat and incredibly helpful and attentive, they were the ones that made us smile every day. They were friendly, professional and just wonderful.

In all, I loved my trip to NYC but I wouldn’t return to Trump Soho.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KellyAngelHeart
TrumpNYCSoHo, General Manager at Trump SoHo New York, responded to this review, 18 July 2012
Dear KellyAngelHeart

Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations. I would be happy to discuss your stay personally with you, and can be reached at GMaoberoi@trumphotels.com or 212-842-5527. It would also be my pleasure to personally book your reservation directly for future accommodations.

Andreas Oberoi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (821)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Seymour, Connecticut
Reviewed 10 July 2012

We reserved a delux room and were upgraded at no cost to a corner suite. Loved it. The bed was to die for. Like sleeping in a cloud. The room was wonderful except for a strange, unpleasant smell coming from the minibar.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
, General Manager at Trump SoHo New York, responded to this review, 13 July 2012
Dear Linda5560

Thank you for staying with us at the Trump SoHo. I am happy to hear that you loved your suite and enjoyed the comfort of our beds. I look forward to your return on your next trip to NYC.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 July 2012

I treated my husband to a quick NY "hotel getaway" (we live in Manhattan)...Upon my arrival, I was greeted by a gracious host who immediately gave my husband and me water (it was very hot outside). I told the front desk that it was my husband's birthday...We were given a beautiful room with the view of the Hudson River. We had a quick bite at bar/restaurant near the pool...the staff was so accomadating and they greeted my husband with some birthday Champagne...I treated my husband to a massage at the Spa...he enjoyed his massage very much and felt very special b/c he ended his spa treatment with some more champagne and mini birthday cupcakes...I felt that the staff went out of their way to make my husband feel very special on his very special day...It really makes a difference when you feel you are being taken care of...Thank you Trump Soho for making my husband feel very special!!! I will definitely recommend this hotel to all my friends....

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Ebvnbv

Thank you for sharing your husband’s birthday experience at the Trump SoHo. I am pleased to hear that we helped to make his birthday a memorable one. I appreciate your kind words about our staff and look forward to welcoming you back to the Trump SoHo on your next “NY Getaway”.

Carlsbad, CA
Reviewed 9 July 2012

The pluses: Very large (by NY standards) and well appointed room compared to others in area at the same price. Well stocked minibar, had microwave oven, bar sink and my favorite: a Nespresso machine. Great gym and lovely outdoor pool. Convenient location and very pleasant staff.

The minuses: Restaurant and bar were closed for renovation - not sure why for a new hotel. Card key didn't work. Had to haul luggage down to get new one - that didn't work either. Staff let me in and promised a new key which took two phone calls to get. Elevators are VERY slow.

All in all, I would stay here again over my previous favorite, 60 Thompson.

Room Tip: The higher the better
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Dear MrVacation101

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Trump SoHo. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that we are your new favorite hotel in NYC. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

This was a fine hotel but a tad overpriced in my opinion. The location is great, right next to the shopping in Soho. The room was nice, bed was beyond comfortable. There is no door on the bathroom which I found bizarre. I don't care how well you know someone, there are times you want privacy and not having a door on the bathroom is a mistake.

The pool is small but very nice and the patio area is great. I wish they had a better bar/lounge area to enjoy a nightcap. The small bar and inside space was not very comfortable and it closes early. The service was brutally slow.

Other than that, the staff was very friendly and helpful. We did not eat breakfast at the hotel - an omelette is $32. There is a nice little diner around the corner where I ordered an omelette for $7.00.

I would stay here again if I could find a find a deal, otherwise, its overpriced.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a bathroom door.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Ekob

I appreciate you sharing your feedback with the TripAdvisor community. I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed 9 July 2012

From our warm welcome to our fond farewell, we were treated like queens. No request was too big and all were answered with "that would be my pleasure!". With the exception of one surely concierge, the staff and facilities at the Trump Soho exceeded all expectations. To quote my daughter, "The Trump Soho was a little piece of heaven. The bed was like a cloud, the pool and spa were luxurious and even the hair dryer amazing!" I think her favorite service was the "pillow menu". This was a graduation trip and the surprise of "Congratulation cupcakes", compliments of the hotel, was the icing on the cake!!

Awesome experience!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
, General Manager at Trump SoHo New York, responded to this review, 11 July 2012
Dear Felicia c

Thank you for sharing your experience at the Trump SoHo. I am pleased to hear that we were able to help make your daughter’s graduation trip memorable and that she enjoyed our pillow menu. Please let me know if I can assist with any future arrangements. It would be my pleasure.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2012

Fantastic hotel- best I've stayed at. Amazing room, large with a beautiful bathroom (the size of this bathroom is equivalent to some hotel rooms I've seen!). The room is spotless and everything is remote controlled- drapes, lights, room preferences etc. Nice gesture from front desk to offer you water bottles in the July heat. Furnishings are leather and give a very luxurious feel to the rooms. The only downside is the pool size and the limited number of lounge chairs so if you don't show up early you have to wait for one to be available. The neighbourhood is good too, restaurants, shops and beauty salons around. Excellent Spanish restaurant and a couple of Italian restaurants just minutes away. I think I've been spoiled for other hotels!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Dear Marwa9

Thank you for sharing your feedback with the TripAdvisor community. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the remote controlled features in our rooms and our downtown SoHo location. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Trump SoHo in the future.