“Thanksgiving in the City”

Trump SoHo New York
Ranked #129 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Every other year we like to spend Thanksgiving week in the City. This year we booked at the Trump SoHo. We have 5 children and a couple of helpers so there are a lot of us. I cant say enough about the staff at this property. We had a two bedroom penthouse and a standard one bedroom suite. Yes the rooms were large and nice but you can find that at lots of properties what made the Trump stand out was the people who are there to make your stay amazing. Their attention to details both big and little was truly exceptional and a credit to the Trump name! These are just a few examples: Upon check in we found stuffed animals for our two littlest ones. There were robes with all of our initials on them and a welcome treats in the room. We were celebrating our triplet daughters 14th birthday. We were treated with Ice cream, pastries, and candy on their birthday. The concierges were all great in booking activities and restaurants.

The location is fantastic with SOHO shopping right there and Dominique Ansel Bakery almost across the street for some wonderful cronuts! I honestly don't think you can get a better location in the City.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
TrumpNYCSoHo, General Manager at Trump SoHo New York, responded to this reviewResponded 30 December 2013

Dear thesafeman,
Thank you for sharing your experience and spending your Thanksgiving holiday at Trump SoHo. I am happy to hear you and your family had a wonderful stay, especially your little ones. I hope your triplets had a memorable 14th birthday and look forward to having you and your family celebrate many more birthdays with us.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

Great room with sofa area and excellent view towards midtown. High quality bathroom with separate shower and bath. Great location in the heart of downtown New York. Friendly service overall. Really good value in NY for around 500 per night.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business

Dear TheGlobalFinn,
Thank you for your review. I am thrilled to hear you had an enjoyable stay and enjoyed the uptown views of Manhattan. I am glad you liked the location of the hotel and our friendly staff. I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 23 December 2013

I very much enjoyed my stay at the Trump Soho. 4.5 stars.

We stayed at the end of June and arrived looking rather hot and bothered from the heat and straight away the reception asked if we would like a bottle of water which was a nice start.

The room was large, bright and clean and had all the amenities you would need. It was a pleasure waking up with the sun pouring in through the large windows. I had booked a Premier room (above 30th floor) as I had heard good things about the views and I was not disappointed. We had a view that was towards the Empire and Midtown in one direction and lower Manhattan the other way which for me was the best of everything.

The location was also great as I had wanted to try a location other than Midtown and if you are looking more towards nightlife then I found there to be places to try in all directions around the hotel.

Apart from charging for Wi-Fi the only slight negative in my eyes was that the hotel doesn’t really have a friendliness about it. The staff are polite and attentive but dare I say it lacks a little warmth? No Good Morning, Good Night, no interaction etc. Perhaps my attention was drawn to this as I had just stayed at a Kimpton Hotel in the days before and I found the staff there to be spot on. This may sound silly to some, but friendly staff make all the difference and its one of the things I remember.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Emma27London,
Thank you for sharing your review on your stay in June. I am pleased to hear overall you had a great stay but do apologize you felt the staff was not welcoming. I would be happy to discuss your stay personally with you, and can be reached at GMaoberoi@trumphotels.com or 212-842-5527.

Reviewed 21 December 2013

The staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful. We had a premiere room and it had a lovely view. The room was very clean and well appointed. The bathroom was very nice and had a tub and a shower. The tub was right next to a window where you could take a bath and see a lovely view of the city. Everything was wonderful except for the mattress on the bed. This had to be one of the worst mattresses I've ever slept on. Even my 20 year old son complained about the mattress and he usually can sleep on anything. If the mattress had been only as good as average, I would have rated this hotel 5 starts. Incidentally, at the time we were there, the Washington Wizards also stayed at this hotel -- though this fact does not affect my rating one way or another.

Room Tip: If you want a good night's sleep, be sure not to stay in 3801.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Dear CyberRabbit,
Thank you for sharing your review. I am happy to hear you had a great stay overall and enjoyed the views from your room and the windows and views from the tub. Our beds are very soft as they are pillow top mattresses but can be adjusted if you prefer a firmer mattress, by informing our housekeeping team. Please contact me in the future for your next stay in NY and I hope to welcome you back.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

To start off with the positives, the hotel is in a great location, with lots of nice bars and shops close by. The view was spectacular and the bed was extremely comfortable. Chris the doorman was lovely, really friendly and helpful.

The staff otherwise were not particularly friendly and we didn't receive the level of service you expect from a high end hotel.

When we arrived at 3 pm after a very long flight we wanted to get showered and changed and get on with our plans but our room wasn't ready. We said we'd go for a walk while we waited and the receptionist said she would call us when it was ready. Nearly 3 hours later we hadn't received a call and we came back to find our room still wasn't ready. When we eventually did get a room we had to wait around for our bags and eventually had to call to ask for them to be sent up. The room was nice but a little worn in places, and there was only 1 bathrobe and no water.

On the second night the smoke detector in out room started beeping intermittently at 4am, as if the batteries were low. We called reception and they sent an engineer up. He changed the battery and we tried to go back asleep. 15 minutes later it started again. The engineer returned and removed the smoke detector. We had now been up for over an hour so there was no chance of us getting back asleep. At a hotel at this level you are paying to not have to put up with these kind of maintenance issues.

The following day we returned to our room in the evening and I expected there to be a message from management addressing our interrupted sleep, but there was none. In fact, our smoke detector hadn't even been replaced, which isn't exactly safe on the 25th floor. So before we left for dinner we spoke to the receptionist, explained what had happened the night before and requested the smoke alarm be replaced.

On our last day we again spoke to the receptionist and explained that 2 days out of our trip had been badly effected by the hotel, with the room not being ready one day and lack of sleep another, and that we were disappointed. She offered us breakfast but it was 11 am at that stage so we declined but asked that she pass the message on to management, and that we would be in the city for the remainder of the day and returning to collect our luggage that evening. She assured us she would and asked for our contact details so they could reach us. We never received a call. We had also left an email address, but after over a week have still not been contacted.

This hotel is expensive, and unfortunately has a few issues. The bigger problem is how the issues are dealt with, and the poor level of service.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lightup

Dear lightup,
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations in regards to your room not being ready and the smoke detector noise. I would be happy to discuss your stay personally with you, and can be reached at GMaoberoi@trumphotels.com or 212-842-5527. I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Reviewed 20 December 2013

Location is great, the rooms are modern, the windows go down to the floor, the bed is fantastic and the Nespresso machine in the room is superb. The fitness is ok. The breakfast is maybe the only area where they can further improve both on service and variety.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Go100go

Dear Go100go,
Thank you for sharing your stay experience. I am pleased to hear you had a great stay and enjoyed the floor to ceiling windows, comfortable bed and then Nespresso machine. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Andreas Oberoi.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

My husband brought me here this past weekend for a 40th Birthday Celebration. Because I am pregnant he thought it would be the perfect place to go for great atmosphere, food and spa. Upon arrival we were impressed, the woman at the front desk was beyond friendly and kind. After learning I was pregnant she offered a body pillow to be delivered to my room so that my sleep was more comfortable which is definitely was. Friday night upon returning to the hotel after dinner, we went upstairs to The LIbrary. My husband ordered 2 glasses of wine and I had sparkling water. We got our bill and there was a 20% gratuity included in the total, at the bottom of the page it had a gratuity breakdown, 18%, 20%, etc. My husband asked the server why there was a gratuity on such a small bill and she said that was just the way her manager does it. I felt that was very tacky and told her that it's a shame because we would have given her more but since our hand was forced, oh well!

The spa was very relaxing, we got a couples massage and my husband who usually doesn't enjoy them LOVED it!

The bellman were the worst I have seen. I cannot tell you how many times I (being 7 months pregnant) had to open the extremely heavy doors myself while they just stood there. We would return to the hotel and they wouldn't open the taxi doors or the heavy hotel doors.

My nephew stays in this hotel often, has been upgraded to the Penthouse because of his frequent stays, and I was expecting so much more. Although we loved the location, the bed and the spa....we most likely will not return.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 26th floor and had beautiful views.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jeannebill
TrumpNYCSoHo, General Manager at Trump SoHo New York, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2013

Dear Jeannebill,
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations in regards to your experience in The Library and the heavy front doors. I would be happy to discuss your stay personally with you, and can be reached at GMaoberoi@trumphotels.com or 212-842-5527. I look forward to speaking with you soon.